Moving out 3 weeks before turning 18

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving out 3 weeks before turning 18

I live in West Virginia and I am 17 years old. I will be 18 in 19 days (May 26) and I have been wanting to move out of my mom's house since I was 14. She has full custody of me. I want to move in with my dad before my birthday, and I want to know if 1) he would be charged for harbor in a runaway 2) if I can legally move out without my mother's consent since I am 19 days away from being 18.

Thanks for reaching out. At 17 years old, if you are still considered a minor in your state, it is possible for your dad to be charged with harboring a runaway if he has no custody of you. Being a minor means your parents are still responsible for you until you are a legal adult. Which most likely means you would need their permission to leave home. If you want to know for sure what is allowed, you can call the non emergency police and ask what the laws are. You can also reach out to a legal aid resource for more information.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X