No announcement yet.

I want to run away and need help.

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I want to run away and need help.

    I'm 14 years old, I was adopted at 3 months old by my grandparents and they have made my life a living hell, I've been physically, mentally, and emotionally abused by them I've tried to commit suicide multiple times because of them and I need to leave. I can't do this anymore, when I leave I want to continue school so I can get a good job in the future. I don't want to get caught, I want to run away and practically become a whole new person. How should I go about this? It's illegal to run away here, I live in Utah so I need to be careful, if I get caught my grandparents will make things worse for me. Please help.

  • #2

    Thank you for reaching out to us. We are so sorry to hear that your grandparents have been physically, mentally & emotionally abusive. No one has the right to make you feel unsafe in your home. It sounds like everything going on at home with your grandparents has really been weighing on you and you now want to leave home and be independent. We can’t tell you what to do, but we’ll do our best to share information that might help you decide your next steps.

    We are so very sorry to hear about everything that's going on at home. Please know that like us, there are organizations that are here to listen and support you. Agencies like the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, available by phone at 800.273.8255, are there for you if you ever need to reach out to someone. It took a lot of bravery for you to ask for help, and we hope that you continue to reach out, either to us or the Suicide Prevention Lifeline, if you feel like you might hurt yourself. Regarding the possibility of you running away, we’re not legal experts, but from what you mentioned in your message, it sounds like running away may be a status offense in your state. With that said, generally speaking, if you do run away and your grandparents file a runaway report, your local police would return you to your legal guardian unless they can’t find your legal guardian or you report that it is unsafe for you to live with your legal guardians. Your local police department would be a great resource if you're interested in finding out how they handle runaway reports. We can help you find your local police department's non-emergency number if you need us to. If you have decided to leave, it’s important to consider things like where you might live, how you’ll get there, and how you’ll support yourself while you’re on your own.

    If you need help exploring your options, or you just want someone to talk to, please feel free to reach out to us. We’re available via phone 24/7 at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929), as well as via chat every day from 4:30pm – 11:30pm CST. We are here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

    Last edited by ccsmod15; 05-07-2017, 12:11 AM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove