No announcement yet.

My bf is 16 and he ranaway but he needs his SSC or birth certificate.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My bf is 16 and he ranaway but he needs his SSC or birth certificate.

    My bf ranaway from home because he was getting hurt and threatened and locked up in his own house by his parents. so he left but he didnt get his SSC or birth certificate and he asked his mom but she said no she wont give it too him. he is also adopted so he doesnt know his real parents at all. So who can he call or see to get that stuff he really needs it to get a job and start school.

  • #2
    Re: My bf is 16 and he ranaway but he needs his SSC or birth certificate.


    It’s brave of you to reach out for help for your bf. It sounds like you care for him a lot and he is lucky to have you in his life. We’re very sorry to hear he was getting hurt and his adoptive parents were threatening to lock him out. At 16, they may not legally be able to do so, but that doesn’t mean it never happens unfortunately. We aren’t legal experts, but we can go over some general options. Since we don’t know exactly where you and your bf are located, here are some general resources that will hopefully get him started.

    U.S. Department of Labor: Youth & Labor section offers a lot of information about working as a minor.
    If you followed the link from another website, the link they provided may be outdated. Please go to our homepage, check out our topics list or A-Z Index or try a search.

    Social Security
    Official website of the U.S. Social Security Administration.

    McKinney-Vento Act: Helps young people who can be categorized as homeless enroll in school. For minors, schools typically follow an “enroll now, ask questions later” approach as far as guardianship information.

    Some of the challenges he may face are due to his age though. Applying for a new copy of his birth certificate/vital record, social security card, etc. may require a parent/guardian be involved. Also, you mentioned he was being hurt which he certainly doesn’t deserve. He does have the right to report any type of abuse or neglect and if he decides to go that route, we can help him with that option.

    Child Help USA may be of help as well.
    Since 1959 Childhelp has existed to meet the physical, emotional, educational and spiritual needs of abused, neglected and at-risk children.

    Lastly,we are also here to offer support and further discuss his situation. Best of luck to both of you!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp