No announcement yet.

Questions about running away from home

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Questions about running away from home

    Im 15 now turning 16 in September, in two years whem I'm 17 can I legally runaway from home In Arkansas, and cross state borders? Can police take me back to Arkansas? Can I get arrested?

  • #2
    Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to our forum! You had some questions regarding running away. We’re not legal experts, but we do have general information. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. A good way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth.
    If you want to talk more about options, please call in to our 24/7 hotline.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      Ok so I'm a 13 year old girl and I've been having troubles at my house its only me and my mom but I mean she's all ways blaming me for something I didn't do or staying onto me do this do that and she sits at her computer almost all the time I have friends really close friends that are adults and they seem like family at my age most kids end up commiting suicide but I'm strong and I don't do that no cut or anything but I do cry a lot because I'm usually alone in my room because I don't like to be in the same room with her a lot so I want to know at my age can I have the name ofy legal guardian changed and if so where? And is it legal to runaway at my age if I go somewhere safe?


      • ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment

        Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through some really stressful times at home, and thinking through what to do. It is really strong and brave of you to reach out for help.
        We’re not legal experts, but are here to listen and to help.

        A legal guardian change would normally be made by the court, but may be possible. Do you know where you could live, possibly a close relative or family friend might be options? Would your mother give you permission? The age of majority, where you legally become an adult, is 18 in most states. If you leave home without your parents or guardians permission, they can file a runaway report with the police and the police can investigate and return you home. There is a lot to consider if you are thinking about running away. We want you to be safe, and think about all your options. And, it’s really good you are so strong and reaching out.

        If you call us here at the NRS on our 24/7 Safeline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or chat with us during chat hours we can talk with you about your options, and recommend resources. We are looking forward to talking to you soon.

        Best of luck,
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove