Hi I'm 17 I'm turning 18 in 6 days

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi I'm 17 I'm turning 18 in 6 days

I was wondering if I would be able to leave my house and get away from my dad he has abused me most of my life I don't care about getting him involved with police but I want to know if it's possible for me to leave I'm 6 days from 18 I'm in holt Michigan but when I leave I don't have anywhere to go except to my hometown which is about 450 miles away from where I currently am it's a town in Illinois called Algonquin I just want to know that I'm able to leave tho I'll worry about how I'll get there

Hello,
    Thanks for being so brave and reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. We will do whatever we can to provide you a few resources in addition to providing non-judgmental support. It definitely sounds like things are stressful but it is great that you are currently in a safe place.
    Although we do not provide legal advice, it is our understanding that a minor running away is not a crime but simply a status offense. In other words, if the police find out where you are located then they will attempt to return you back home. That being said, the most important thing to consider is your safety. If you do not feel comfortable staying at home due to the abuse that you described, you might consider contacting Child Help (National Child Abuse Hotline) to file an abuse report. Child Help will assign a case worker to investigate the abuse. They can be reached at 800/422-4453. We would be more than happy to make that call with you on the line if you think you need us to provide some additional support. We can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY. If you are in immediate danger you can always call 911, especially if your well-being is in jeopardy. Another idea to think about is if you have a legal guardian or parent in Illinois there is a chance we can help you with a free bus ticket through our Home Free program. Although we would need to talk to you on the phone to see if you qualify, it might be worth exploring further. Home Free is a family reunification program through Greyhound and the National Runaway Safeline.
    Alternatively we can try to help you find safe places that you can go. If you would like we have a database with resources and we can look into shelter options in your area, whatever you feel most comfortable with we will do.
    We are here if you would like to reach out to us by phone. You should be commended for taking the initiative to reach out for help. It sounds like you are a responsible youth who just wants to do the right thing. You can always call us 1-80-786-2929. Keep your head up and let us know if we can be of further assistance.
    Good luck!
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X