•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod4
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You do not deserve to be abused by anyone. It’s not your fault that your brother is doing this. It sounds like the relationships with family members have been frustrating and upsetting to you. We understand that when things feel overwhelming it’s sometimes difficult to cope with.
    Just so that you know we are not legal experts and only can provide some general legal information.

Someone under 18 that leaves home without parental consent, the parent/guardian may file them as a runaway and they may be returned home. Also, those that a reported runaway stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally. For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police. Again we are not legal experts. Some of the things you are asking may require a court of law.

If you would like to talk more in detail we are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I'm 14 and I'm done with my family. My father just got out of hospital after being winter for a year in critical care. He's gotten back and now acts like he's in control. I talk back to him and get mad at him often. same with my mum. my brother is verbally abusing me, I'm fine with it as I've already said half the things he's said to myself but I can only take so much. I don't want to live with them anymore and I feel like my brother wants me dead (he does). questions-

- am I allowed to ask my grandma to have legal guardianship over me? (I should be able to make this decision)
    - do I have a say, can I ask to stay somewhere else
    - is there any way I can get away before 18?
    - can I do an exchange in another country at 14 to getaway?

please, I can't live in my house anymore. I physically and now mentally am over it.
    Last edited by ccsmod4; Yesterday, 07:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
    We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi, my mom mentally abuses me everyday and one time I stayed out a little later when at a friends sleepover and she tracked me on her phone and yelled at me, unfortunately I was stressed that whole night and couldn’t focus cause I was so terrified of her, now I’m not allowed to have any sleepover for the whole summer, which sucks because I always go to my friends so I don’t have to be with her. I want to runaway but I would never because I’m scared what she’ll do if she ever finds me. No one ever believes me if I tell them about her because she’s so sweet to everyone else, she just takes out her anger at me. I live in Canada so I don’t know if the laws are different here

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are really going through it with your dad at home. That is not okay that you are feeling like he is mentally abusing you. You deserve to be treated with respect, especially in your home. Here at NRS, we truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time.

It sounds likeyou have been trying to self harm to cope with all that you are going through. It takes a lot of strength to reach out for help, and we are so glad that you did. Your life has worth and our top priority is your safety. If you feel this is an emergency you could consider calling 911 for emergency assistance. We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Hotline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at www.youmatter.suicidepreventionlifeline.org, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time. You can also call us 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) if you need to talk.

You mentioned experiencing emotional abuse and that your dad drinks everyday which may be reportable depending on the details of your situation against your dad. Please keep in mind you by no means deserve any type of abuse, emotional or otherwise. Unfortunately, emotional abuse is often harder to provide evidence for compared to physical abuse which is often what CPS relies on when conducting an abuse investigation. That said, we can’t be 100% sure what the outcome will be if your local CPS decides to open a case based on what you share. Sometimes CPS decides to remove minors from the home and other times they offer services such as family counseling or mediation instead. The only way to know the outcome might be to reach out to them directly and if you’re ready to do that we are here to help you through that process. Reaching out to Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 or www.childhelp.org may help to get a better understanding of what may happen before and after a report is made.

We hope this helps. Please reach out if we can offer any further support and help you brainstorm your options. You are not alone.

Be safe,

NRS

1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org
    Last edited by ccsmod7; 06-23-2020, 08:18 PM.

Guest replied
    Hi am 13 year old about to turn 14 I try running away At 12 did not succeed my dad drinks every day and gets mad at me most of the time and he screams to hurt my feelings my brother is 17 and he dosent get to do anything I always do everything I get yelled at for his mistakes My dad mentally abuses me am scared of my dad and I usually always have to stay w hem every day am losing all my friends cause of him I have nobody to talk to and I try to harm myself I need help

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    i’m 14 and can’t take this anymore, i have wanted to move out for so long now, but no one will take me, my mum said i can’t go to my mates i can only go to my dad. However, my dad don’t want me, so i was told by my mum to call child line to be put in care, sometimes i feel like i’m not worth anything and just don’t want to be here anymore because this is how it’s making me feel. my dad don’t act like a dad to me and now neither does my mum!

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to NRS, it seems like you are feeling really frustrated by your situation at home right now and like your parents aren’t taking your feelings seriously. It makes sense to feel that way when you don’t feel like you have a space to call your own at home to be able to relax. Here at NRS we want you to know we are here to listen and try to help you through this difficult situation.
    It seems like you are considering running away to get out of the situation and we want to help you stay safe if you do decide that is the option you choose to take. Running away before 18 is known as a status offence. So police would try and bring you back home, but you wouldn’t be arrested for it. Having a safe place to go seems like your major concern right now. Some safe options would be another family member’s house, a friends’ or a shelter for youth. You may want to take some time and consider which of these options is best for you.
    You deserve some privacy and to feel supported in your home. There may be options for coping with the frustration at home until you can leave legally and be self-sufficient. If you would like to discuss some of those options with us and talk about the situation some more we would love to hear from you on our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or through our online chat at 1800runaway.org.

Guest replied
    My parents don’t know what privacy is, they keep saying “when you live in your own place then you can have privacy”
    but what my parents don’t understand is that if I could I would leave. They don’t think I would do that but believe me I would I have no where to go but any place except this house.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hey there thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline (NRS),
    It seems like you have a long history and are feeling really trapped at home right now due to how your parents treat you and your disability. It makes sense to feel this way when you aren’t being supported by them and have to rely solely on your therapist for support. You deserve a safe place to call home and get support from the family around you.
    It seems frustrating that your dad seems more worried about his own embarrassment then about getting you the proper help in a service dog and potentially Disability Payments as well. It seems really selfish on his part to act that way, unfortunately he’s still a legal guardian so does get to make those medical decisions on your behalf unless you reach 18 or become emancipated.
    If you have more questions or want to just have someone else to vent to about the situation you can always reach out hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or use our online chat at 1800runaway.org. Again you deserve to be supported and feel safe at home.

Guest replied
    I'm 14, going on 15, and want to move out. I'm legally disabled and have been looking into getting a service dog as well as receiving Social Security Disability Payments with my doctor and therapist, but my dad keeps making up excuses and refusing. My mom also looked into getting the payments for herself since she physically can't work and my dad said no. I've discovered that my dad is only doing this because he doesn't truly believe that I'm disabled and need the help that I actually do, that and he's ashamed and embarrassed of me. I've had anxiety since I was 6 but it didn't get diagnosed until last year because I told my mom about it and she called me dramatic, so I mentioned it to my doctor and she made my parents find a therapist. I feel stuck. No one listens to me, and the minute I feel like I can confide in my mom, my dad comes home and she turns on me again. I really don't know what to do anymore.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best.
    Also, to answer your question, you have 3 younger sisters.

Be safe,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Im 13 turning 14, I live with my mum, dad, 3 younger sisters and my grandma with dementia. My parents are always working so are never home unless early in the morning or late at night. My grandma has dementia for 15 years and wets the bed every night, and poops herself everyday, I'm constantly cleaning her fesses and showing her and I'm just sick of it. My grandmas has stopped listening to anyone, is constantly trying to go 'home', not knowing where 'home is. I share a room with my 8 year old sister, then my 10 and 12 yr old sister share a room. My sisters don't do anything, they just sit in their rooms on their devices, but somehow don't get yelled at. I'm constantly yelled at and hit, the other night my dad was constantly hitting me when I wouldn't eat a bit of meat left on my plate cause it was that gross faty stuff. I've started work 2 days ago and work from 10am- 6pm and nothing has gotten done in the house so I've spent all tonight cleaning the house and kitchen up after my sisters. my mum lost it casue I droped a jar of pickles and she started hitting me. I don't have anywhere to go, my dads side is crazy religious and I don't want to have to listen to classical music for the rest of my life. And my mums side is super judgmental. I don't want to live with any of my other friends, 'their parents are crazy', I still love my parents but I'm getting sick of this lifestyle.

To prove that this isn't some auto reply, how many sisters do I have.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    You don’t deserve to be hit by your mom and it is understandable to be frustrated by the double standard with your brother. It seems like it would be frustrating to not be feel listened to on top of that as well.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    Be safe,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X