X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod6
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that you are so miserable where you are and it is understandable why you would want to leave a place that makes you feel like that. Unfortunately, because you’re still a minor, your parents would have the right to have the police look for you and return you home if you left without their permission. It could be a good idea to talk to them about maybe taking more time to go out of state. That could look like vacations or maybe looking into boarding school or camp opportunities in other states like Missouri. If you want to talk more about what your options are or how to run away in a safe manner, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 14 and I want to move to a different state anywhere but Michigan but I would like to live in or near Missouri I have a lot of friends and family here and I hate to leave them but also I’m a way I don’t care I could just FaceTime them I atleast want to live in a different state for a year I hate it here like I cried all day because of how much I hate it I don’t know what to do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 14 my situation is pretty bad I have a cousin telling me to move in me and him have always been close but my dad wont let me I'm curious if thier is any legal documents to give my cousin legal guardian ship of me to let me move in with him even part adoption could work

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hey there, thank you for reaching out to us today! We can tell you are very strong and independent and would like to be more understood and loved, and that your family is not being there for you. We want you to know that we are here for you, and that you are not alone.
    It sounds like maybe there isn’t clear communication between you and your family, and they overreact and become mistrusting towards you. One option may be to talk to them, either one on one, or as a group. Perhaps an option would be to either prepare a conversation with them of how you feel, or look for a counselor to get involved to help. Miscommunication in families is a common thing, and it is very understandable to feel upset over that and how they falsely accuse you. We have some services here at National Runaway Safeline such as conference calling (a call between a liner, you, and your parents) and message service (a service where you leave a message for your parents) if you would like us to help you with a conversation with your parents. It sounds like you simply want to communicate to your parents that you need to talk to your friends because they understand you, and if your parents could understand that, you would be much happier. You deserve for your feelings to be validated.
    In terms of running away, an important thing to know is that as long as you are a minor, your parents are entitled to file a runaway report, and that running away is considered a status offense, not a crime. If there is a report out on you and you encounter the police, they will be entitled to notify your guardian and return you home. It depends on the police department, however, on how they process reports. Additionally, while we are not legal experts, any adult sheltering you could be at risk of harboring a runaway, which is usually considered a misdemeanor.
    It sounds like you have a very good support network with your friends. That is a really great and important thing to have. Perhaps another option is to reach out to another adult, teacher, or school counselor to tell them how you feel. Perhaps your friend’s grandparents can be another resource to you as well for help. In any case, if you are in need of a safe place, National Safe Place is a resource there for you by texting SAFE and your location to 44357.
    If you need any resources such as shelters, self-help lines, or more referrals and resources, feel free to call in to our hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can help you. Again, we’re really glad you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help and you are trying to figure out your options which is really good to see. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We’re here to listen, here to help.

Guest replied
    I honestly just want to leave this house. Like this past night my mother left and went somewhere because of me. Neither me nor my dad dont know where she went. Lately ive been feeling like ive been messing a lot of stuff up. And I just don't want to mess up anything else, I might go live at a friends grandparents house. They are basically like family to me and i would rather be over there than here. And my parents took away my phone cause they think ive been sending nudes. i dont and ive told them that before but they dont trust me at all. They took my phone cause i talk to my friends to much, i talk to them cause i feel like they are the only people i can go to sometimes and i feel comfortable talking to them about the fact that im not ok most of the time. But I dont know what to do, what should i do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod8
    Hello there,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. It can be very frustrating not knowing what to do or what your next step might be from this point on. Hopefully there are other's that are reading through this thread in a similar situation to yours and can get help as well. We are mainly here for support and help find some guidance to local resources that might be able to help a youth through their particular situation and we aren’t here to tell you what to do because you know your situation a lot better than we do.

Now we do offer a service that is basically a Conference Call where the parent/guardian, the youth, and us would be on the phone talking about what has been going on. This way there can be a mediator in between keeping things calm and productive. If you’d feel more comfortable with doing that, just know that it’s always available. It might be a great way to talk about what you are going through and where this feelings might be coming from or to maybe build on your relationship and make it better. Something constructive so that it certainly opens the lines of communication, but that services is completely up to you.

Only you know yourself when it’s time to leave home due to it being an unsafe situation and it sounds like you might some specific questions that you want to ask us or maybe find a place to vent about what you are feeling right now. It’s hard to talk to just anyone one about what has been going on. Please rest assured that we are completing confidential. So anything that you share with us will stay between us. We don’t ask for any identifying information, unless you want to report any abuse. We certainly want to help you.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Guest replied
    I’m 15 and had a crappy life I want to move out of my parents house to live with my boyfriend but how can I do that

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello, thanks for posting today. It sounds like things are really stressful and taking quite the toll on you. We are glad you reached out! Your safety is our #1 priority and you mentioned feeling like you want to hurt yourself. Having thoughts of suicide is not uncommon, especially when things are so hard and unfair at home. If you are ever in immediate danger of taking your own life, you can call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room for immediate help. Calling 911, someone will be sent to check on you. We are also 24/7 by call (1-800-786-2929) and live chat here on our website and are always open to talking to youth struggling with things like problems with their parents, custody, and mental health. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is also 24/7 both on the phone and online and they are another resource for when you feel unsafe: 1-800-273-8255, suicidepreventionlifeline.org. There is also a website called To Write Love on Her Arms (twloha.com) that discusses self-injury, suicide, as well as other topics from people who have been there. They have resources for local support, blog posts by people on different topics, etc. Many youth find it helpful!

You may also consider finding a local support group or therapist to talk to. Someone else to speak with so you do not feel as lonely. We have resources here at NRS so feel free to call or chat anytime and we can find some local resources near you. You can also find local support groups and therapists by your location at samhsa.gov. There is also the Crisis Text Line: 741-741 that is also available 24/7 to talk about how you are feeling and what is going on!

We are here 24/7. It takes a lot of courage to reach out! Thanks for posting and call or chat soon!

Guest replied
    I feel so lonely in my house my parents don’t pay attention to be and i’ve been thinking about hurting myself, I have no friends and I just dont know what to do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching back out.

That must be pretty hurtful that your parents are not listening to you. You should be heard. Here at NRS, we have a conference call service if you ever want to have a mediated conversation with your parents. It can be a safe space for both parties to be heard and to brainstorm compromises. Please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY for that service. You might also try writing them a heartfelt letter about how you are feeling, so you can really get everything you want to say to them out.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Best of luck,

NRS

Guest replied
    I've tried they just won't listen to me.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It is unfair for your parents to force you to move and uproot your entire life. It is also unfair that they are not considering your reasonable solutions to the problem at hand. Unfortunately, as your guardians, they do have the right to decide where you live. Being forced to move sucks. There’s no denying that, but it might be unavoidable. It could be a good idea to see if you could negotiate with your parents about something that they could do for you when you do move. Chances are they know that the position they are putting you in is miserable and they might be willing to make it right in a way that is realistic and possible. If you would like to brainstorm or talk more about what other options there might be, we would be happy to chat with you. Please don’t hesitate to give us a call on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or reach out online at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 14 and have great parents it's just they decided we would move and right after I had a boyfriend for a year and they think I can just ditch my whole life because they said so I just wish they'd let me stay especially since I have family members in the area who I could stay with but no the just have to force me to move to a whole other contanent with them. And I don't know what to do.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello, I'm 14 and i was debating on running away, i know it's illegal for minors but I had an argument with my father today and got very angry and sad. I feel like he loves me but other times i don't. I just want to be able to do what i want with my hair and he won't let me. When he has an answer down his mind is set on it and I need some help because tomorrow I'm going back home around 1 or 2 and i really don't want to deal with this..

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X