•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Talking to other adult family members or school counselors can be helpful in many situations.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. If you would like to talk more in detail please call us at call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. or chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    So I’m 14 and we just got a puppy recently. She has trouble with training but he doesn’t understand that. He has always been mentally and sometimes physically abusive and I don’t know how much more I can take. As I’m typing he is screaming at me telling me how much he can’t wait for me to move out. And honestly I’m ready to move. I don’t know what to do. He constantly calls me useless and a lifeless piece of ********. I’m tired of it and scared.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 14 and I think I have bipolar disorder or manic depression I’ve been feeling like this for approximately 4 years now , when I was 10 my dad chocked my mum in front of me and after that I began too self harm and had bad thoughts, I don’t self harm anymore - I want too sometimes but after 3 years of no one knowing I did it my mum sor the scar on my arm (I always wear hoodies or jumpers but this day I had forgotten too put one on) and she asked me what it was for and I’m a bad liar and she didn’t believe my excuse so I told her and she screamed at me saying I was selfish and an attention seeking. My mum drinks a lot and her boyfriend is mentally abusive they constantly pick on me so does my 2 sisters and 3 brothers but my mum doesn’t hit me anymore and her boyfriend hasn’t so theirs nothing I can actually do my oldest brother has a few times and he’s locked me in the back garden for hours on nights where my mums gone out and no one believed me except my next door neighbour who asked me once if I wanted too go too hers I said no because I didn’t want any drama with my mum , but I used too speak too the school about my issue - and they called a meeting in with my mum (I had asked them not too) and because I couldn’t stand up too her because I felt intimidated I had too tell the school I had been making it up - the year manager looked at me with pure hatred but my class room manager sor what was really going on but said nothing until she was alone with me the next day , I hate living at home but my only other option is my dads studio flat but theirs only 1 room a kitchen and a toilet and I’m a 14 year old girl and I can’t stay their - I want too Leave but I have no where too go and I don’t know what too do and I can’t take it anymore

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hey there,
    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline (NRS. It seems like you have been through a lot and that home isn’t a safe place for you to stay. You shouldn’t have to live in a situation where you are consistently a witness to drug use and put in a position where home isn’t stable because of your parents’ decisions. It is understandable to ask for help with the mental health issues that have cropped up because of the situation at home.
    For help with anxiety and depression we generally recommend finding a therapist or counselor locally that can provide you one on one help. If that isn’t possible www.nami.org is a good place to find resources for dealing with those difficulties and having someone to talk to about them. You might also be able to get help by asking your school therapist for mental health resources. Usually a school therapist is a mandated reporter, so if they have reason to believe you are being abused at home they would need to report it to CPS/DCFS and have it investigated for your safety.
    You can also report what the living situation is on your own or with the help of anyone you trust. Putting you in a position where you are seeing drug use at home consistently is not OK and might count as child abuse. As such CPS/DCFS might be able to take action and help remove you from the situation or offer up other help to get the household to a healthier place.
    If you want help reporting the situation, or want someone to vent with we are happy to be here to talk with you and listen to your situation more. You deserve support through this and we are available 24/7 to talk on the phone at 1-800-RUNAWAY or through online chat at www.1800runaway.org.
    Stay Safe,
    NRS.

Guest replied
    i’m 14 & i life in a BAD household i’ve seen my mom and my uncle OD i tired moving many times now that i’m forced to go bad i dont know if i can someone please just help me with my anxiety and depression

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    replied
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
    Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
    Be safe,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hey, I'm 14, about to turn 15. I need to move out. My dad gets mad at me for dumb reasons. He hits me when he's mad and relates me to my mom calling us both idiots and **********es. He says so much ******** and when I try to be alone so I can cry and take in the pain, he yells out the other room and calls me useless. My mom is in another state, but my dad never lets me see her. I only see her in summers, but its been 2 years since I have seen her. Is there a way I can make that happen?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod8
    Hello there -

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are always here to listen and here to help in any way that we can. It can be very frustrating not knowing what to do or what your next step might be from this point on.

We aren't legal experts here by any means, but we can offer you some general information that might be helpful to you during this particular situation. The only way that you might be able to be removed from parent's custody legally and live somewhere else is by Child Protective Service, going through the emancipation process (which sounds like you might already be familiar with), or if there was a court decision to transfer custody to someone else. Those are the only three ways that we know of for a youth to legally leave home. Your parents may give you permission to live with another family or relative, but without getting an official document from the court they would still be legally responsible for you. Which means that they can also take away that permission at any given moment and take you back home to live with them once again.

It sounds like you might some more specific questions that you want to ask us or maybe find a place to vent about what you are feeling right now. It’s hard to talk to just anyone one about what has been going on. Please rest assured that we are completing confidential. So anything that you share with us will stay between us. We don’t ask for any identifying information, unless you want to report any abuse. You can chat with us by going to our website (www.1800runaway.org) and clicking on "chat".

We certainly want to help you.
    Last edited by ccsmod8; 08-13-2020, 03:22 PM.

Guest replied
    i am almost 14. i need to move out of my house because i am in a bad home situation. my parent will not let me move out so i was considering emancipation but it’s very hard to approve and takes a lot of time. is there any thing else i could do besides emancipation? i live in the state of georgia

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there, Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline. It sounds you are in a really painful situation but you are not alone and we are here to help. You have the right to live in an environment where you are respected and feel safe. You mentioned that your dad was choking you but we want you to know that physical violence is never okay. We encourage you to call 9-11 if you ever feel unsafe or threatened. Also, www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how Child Protective Services could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call is at 1-800-RUNAWAY. Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) or give us a call. Stay safe and strong, NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I'm 14 and I want to leave. My mom and dad hate each other so I feel torn apart. My mom kicked me out when I was 12 and I've been living with my dad ever since. My dad treats me like I'm an idiot and he won't help me with anything. He does stuff for me but it feels like he just does it to make me want to stay there. I feel unwanted and I told them I wanted them to give me away so I can hopefully go somewhere where people want me. I went to the library to type this up for some advice on what to do. I used to be scared to say I was being abused but when I tried to leave yesterday to go to the police station, my dad started choking me out and only let me go because his wife asked him to. There's no way I'm staying there so I asked them to give me away. This is a huge decision and I just need some advice.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. You deserve to be treated with respect and shouldn't be screamed at.

You mentioned that your parents make you feel suicidal and that you've had an anxiety attack in the past. We care a lot about your safety, and we can help you find resources that can help you cope with these feelings. You do not have to face this alone, and there is so much help out there for you. If you are thinking about hurting yourself, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline could be a good resource for you. You can check them out at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/, or you can call 1-800-273-8255 for help and support any time. If you’d like some additional support, an organization that may be helpful is the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). You can contact them by calling 1-800-950-NAMI or you can text them by sending NAMI to 741741.

It takes a lot of bravery to open up to your parents and it's frustrating that they did not react appropriately. Sometimes it can be beneficial to have a third party with you when speaking with your parents as they can help advocate for you. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your parents so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Guest replied
    Hi I’m 14 and I want to leave my house. I am constantly being screamed at for nothing. My parents treat both of my younger syblings way better and it’s awful. They make me feel suicidal and I’m tired of it. I have no where to go and I don’t want to tell them because the one time I had an anxiety attack in front of them they yelled at me instead of helping and it hurt. Please help idk what to do.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It makes sense to want to take steps to protect yourself from following in the steps of your sister. It seems like the house is chaotic and unstable as well. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
    While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    Generally if there is a lack of food in the house that could be considered as neglect and abuse. It can be harder to prove neglect, or emotional abuse as compared to physical abuse but it is still abuse. If you want more information about what might be abuse you can go to https://www.childhelp.org/. We can also help you to file an abuse report should you decide that is the best option for you.
    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Be safe,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X