I'm 14 and I want to move out

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, I'm 14 and I want to move out. Everyday be and my mom argue. She always says I'm rude and disrespectful and when I ask her how and to give me examples, she cant. She always hits and slaps me and I think she just wants a reason to fight and take her anger out on me. One time she slapped me so hard that my nose started bleeding. I cant take the abuse anymore and she always threatens to kick me out. Last night she was going though my phone and found out that I was pansexual. She got mad at me and said I should pack my bags and she's going to send me somewhere. I dont know if this is a threat or is she's being serious but she has my phone so I can even call anyone. For some reason she doesn't want me to have friends. Whenever I was on the phone with my friend she would get mad at me and be like "I don't want to see you talking with her for the next two weeks." LIKE I DONT KNOW WHAT MY MOMS PROBLEM IS WITH ME HAVING FRIENDS. ITS NOT LIKE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ANYTHING INNAPROPRIATE ITS LITERALLY ABOUT SCHOOL. Not trying to be dramatic but I really feel like killing myself. When she was looking though my phone, she saw that I was having a conversation about it to my friend. After she saw that, she proceeded to laugh at me, say I was being dramatic and told me to do it. I dont even have anywhere to go to because the little extended family I have are all exactly like her. Well that's all. I dont know what to do and I also know that you guys aren't supposed to give advice but I just have no one to talk to.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for reaching out to us. We are so sorry to hear that things at home with your mom have gotten so volatile. Please know that it is never ok for anyone to hurt you, regardless of anger or frustration. You deserve to live in a space where you feel safe. It sounds like you are hoping to live somewhere else, but you are unsure of where you might go. Although we cannot tell you what to do, we can share information that might help you figure out your next steps.

Before we explore where you might be able to go, please know that you do not deserve to be hurt by your mom, or anyone else, regardless of what may have been going on at the time. If you feel unsafe at home, you have the right to report what is going on to your local child protective services agency. Organizations like Child Help, available by phone at 1.800.422.4453 or via their website at www.childhelp.org , can help you identify the agency nearest to you. If you have questions about the process, or just want someone to talk to, you are welcome to reach out to us as well. It sounds like the conflicts at home with your mom have really stressed you out, and you have felt like killing yourself. Please know that organizations like the Suicide Prevention Hotline, available by phone at 1.800.273.TALK (8255), or via their website at http://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/# or the Trevor Lifeline, available via phone at 1.866.488.7386 or via their website at http://www.thetrevorproject.org/ are there to talk with you if you need additional support and are feeling suicidal.

In your message, you also mention that your mom has threatened to kick you out and/or send you somewhere, but it is not clear where she would send you or for how long. We are not legal experts, but from what we understand, if you are a minor, your mom is legally responsible for your care. If she kicks you out, you have the right to inform local police that your mom is refusing to house you. It sounds like you are hoping to move out, but extended family is not an option for you to live with. From what we understand, you would need your mom’s consent to live anywhere outside of her care. One option might be to explore whether there are any family friends that might be able to provide you a safe place to live. The easiest way to be able to move out is with your mom’s consent. If you would like to explore safe options to go to if you decide to leave your mom’s home, please feel free to reach out to us. We are also available via chat if you do not have access to your phone.

Whatever you decide, please know that we are here to support you. We will do our best to help you stay safe as you explore your options and decide what is best for you. You can reach us 24/7 via phone at 1.800.RUNAWAY (786.2929) or via chat by visiting https://www.1800runaway.org/ and clicking on the chat link. We are here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

-NRS

• So i was adopted nearly 7 years ago. And I don't like. My phone is constantly being taken for the dumbest reasons, nearly 5 times a year. And I have developed anxiety and depression because of my so called "mom". I just want to get out of here. i am not happy.

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there! Thanks for reaching out to us here at NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to do so, and we're glad you did. We're sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your adoptive "mom" and have been experiencing anxiety and depression because of it. Both anxiety and depression can be difficult to work through, and having the necessary support systems in place can be really useful. Calling on friends, family members and even teachers or school social workers might be a good place to start, but generally just being able to talk with someone about how you're feeling and what you're going through can be beneficial. If those folks aren't options for you, the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is a great resource. You can talk with someone by calling 1-800-950-6264 or through their live chat at NAMI.org.

If you're thinking about running away, it's always a good idea to spend some time thinking through a plan. Trying to figure out where you will go, how you will get there, and what you'll do to survive are good starting points. If you'd like to talk over what's going on at home, as well as some of your options, please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY, or pop into a live chat at 1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7, and are always happy to talk.

Take care.

NRS

• My parents are super strict and will isolate me from the people I care about. They are constantly getting mad at me and expecting way more than I can give them. And when I don’t meet expectations I get punished. I also have trust problems with them because of dumb decisions I made over a year ago. These decisions are still being used as an excuse for my parents to have extra control over me and use it to make me feel like ********. I just want to get out of my house. I have people I can stay with but my parents will not let me leave. Not even for one night.

Comment

• ccsmod13
      ccsmod13 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

We are glad you reached out to us. It takes a lot of courage to ask for help and to try to change your situation. It must be very stressful to be held to expectations like that and still be controlled over things that happened a year ago. It is totally understandable that you want to get out of the house even if just for one night to get a break. While it helps to have people you can stay with, there are still considerations for your parents wishes that you will have to work within, as they are your legal guardians. There are options we would like to discuss further with you that might help you now. One possible option could be a conference call where we help you communicate your needs to your parents. We are completely confidential and available 24/7 on a chat through our website or you can call us on our hotline at 1 (800) RUNAWAY. We know that you want to get out of your house, and while we are a non-directive agency (which means we won’t tell you what to do), we want to make sure you know all your options and that whatever you decide that you have a safe plan. We hope to hear from you soon. Good luck.

• im 14 and don't feel connected to my family anymore. as the years go by, my moms husband is always yelling at me. my mom never listens to me and always being compared. my grandma was suppose to move in with us but she past away. i just feel alone now. i don't have anyone to talk to. i have all this stress inside me and don't know how to get it out. they always tell me to go away or leave if i don't like it here. my mom won't even accept me for who i am. i am always getting put down and never getting any time to myself. i miss my old family and not a big fan of what my moms husband created. i just want some time to myself to think.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
      It seems like you are feeling very alone right now, and we want you to know that there are people out there willing to talk with you and be there to support you even if your family isn’t. We are here to support you and there might be some local resources as well. There might also be after school programs that could help bring more meaning and time away from your family to your life.
      We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe, NRS

• Hello I am Ash I am a 13-year-old boy I am transgender my parents are homophobic I will turn 14 in less than a month since my birthday is in January I’ve been planning to move out for a while now with my cousin they are a year older than me my plan was to move out at the age of 17 so my cousin will be 18 and then they can drive and we can live together in an RV. They keep blaming me they keep calling me crazy and telling me I’m embarrassing my parents don’t drink or do drugs they’re good people but don’t seem to understand how I am my cousin is the same way too they are part of the LGBTQIA plus community. My plan is to at the age of 14 apply to jobs and get a job save all the money then when I turn 16 I will receive $10,000 from my grandfather to buy a car but I’ll save that money to purchase an RV with my cousin and then we will live in that RV while still going to school. I really need some help I really need to get out of here but I can’t I feel so trapped.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. You made a great first step to finding the help that you may need. It sounds like you are going through a lot and the people around you are not being supportive. You deserve to be treated with respect, to experience acceptance and to feel safe.

We want you to know that you are strong for having gone through so much already. It is perfectly okay to deviate from what others or the common population believe to be “normal”. You’re bravery and resilience is so admirable. You are so strong for having gone through so much without having the acceptance that you do deserve for just being you. Remember that you are not alone. If you ever want to talk more about what you are experiencing or get additional support we are here 24/7 at 1800-RUNAWAY or our live chat service. The GLBT National Hotline at 1888-843-4564 is another option to gain great support from those that are familiar with the issues and experiences of those that are also a part of the LGBTQ community. You can access their website link bellow to utilize all the other possibly useful resources they have to offer: http://www.glbthotline.org/ Here are some more resources that you might find beneficial: Trans Lifeline: 877-565-8860; https://www.translifeline.org/ and Trevor Project: 1-866-488-7386; text “START” to 678678; chat at https://www.thetrevorproject.org/ .

You mentioned that you were considering the options that may be best for you. By all means, if you do fear for your safety either now or in the future, do not hesitate to take the necessary steps to regain your safety. This may mean calling the authorities or possibly reporting the things you may be experiencing. Other options to think about may be other family members, friends, or a trusted adults that would be able to provide you with support or a safe place to stay. It is great that you thinking ahead. Should you feel like leaving home is best, it may be a good idea to think about how you will provide necessities for yourself such as food, clothing, showers, healthcare and other basic needs. You may want to also consider how your parent’s will react to you leaving without permission. We are not legal experts here, but typically as a minor (under the age of 1 you need permission from your parents to leave home. It is not illegal to runaway, but it would mean that your parents could file a runaway report with the police. This is usually done in an effort to try to return you home as the police are required to do so.

If you can give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or reach out through Live Chat we can try to find some youth shelters that may be near your city and state by utilizing our database of resources. We can also try to call out to shelters with you or on your behalf to advocate for you.

Stay Strong,
      NRS

• i’m 14 and i wanna move out. my house is so mentally and emotionally abusive. i’ve been neglected my whole life and criticized on everything i’ve done. i’ve tried to kill myself twice and still nothing has happened. i don’t feel loved anymore and i can’t take it.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, it takes great courage to reach out and we are so glad that you have decided to reach out to us.

You do not deserve to be abused in any way and we are sorry that you are going through that. You do have a right to file an abuse report and there are a few ways to go about doing that. One option to consider would be to call Child Help at: 1800-422-4453, and you would be able to file a report with them. You can also speak to a school counselor and they would be able to help with a report. Lastly, you can always chat with us or give us a call and we can talk to you about a report and help you with that.

We know you mentioned suicide, and we want you to know your life is important and you are worth living. We are glad you survived to tell your story today and by telling your story you are helping other feel not alone in their situations that are similar to yours. If you are feeling suicidal please reach out to The National Suicide Prevention Hotline at 1800-273-8255. There is always someone to listen and someone to provide support. You are never alone in your feelings, there are people there to help you.
      We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore options, please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!
      NRS

• im 14 and i constantly get blamed or lied on and im getting tired of my step dad not believing me i love my mom and dont want to make her upset that i left (its my step dad that is causing me to type this note so if theres anything you can do please reply)

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• I'm 14 and I have wanted to get away from my family for most of my life. My mom gets angry at everything I do she insults me in every way possible and hits me whenever she gets mad. She has bipolar disorder and changes moods instantly. My dad sits in his room most of the time and whenever he leaves he just want sympathy and if he goes shopping for groceries or buys something for us (which I haven't gotten anything but food and drinks from my family in 3 years) and we don't respond with complete thanks he either guilt trips us for him getting us groceries or hits us. My brother is insane he loves guns and knives and constantly stabs things in our house he also walks around with his guns he has an m15 and several pistols and threatened me with knives back when I was 8 and drinks a lot. My other brother took a really big mental toll and finally moved out and he is doing a lot better. My sister hasn't gone out of her room much for the last year and she doesn't eat a lot. Our house is a mess and filled to the brim with trash. I just want to leave my mental health has taken a massive toll and I think if I live here for much longer I'm going to snap and kill them or end up killing myself.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are so sorry about what is going on at home, and we hope to help you in the best way we can.
      It is important you know, first of all, that you do not ever deserve to be physically abused, emotionally abused, nor neglected in the ways you have been. It is clear from your post that your treatment at home by Mom, Dad, and siblings is severely affecting your mental health, and you should not have to live in a place that does this to you. You must feel hurt and alone. It is only natural that in experiencing all of this, you might become so overwhelmed that you feel you want to hurt yourself or others. You are not alone, and there is help out there. If you find yourself thinking about killing yourself, we encourage you to reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255. They are available 24/7 to help you through some of life’s darkest moments. If you feel in immediate danger if hurting yourself or your family, you can always call 911.
      It sounds like it is most important for you to leave home. This makes sense given the way that home life is affecting you. One critical step you might consider is to report the abuse that is going on at home. You can do this by calling CPS in your area. We can also file an abuse report with you if you call us at 1-800-RUN-AWAY. If you are interested in learning more about what this might look like, you might call Child Help at 1-800-422-4453. They specialize in child abuse reporting and can answer your questions about it, as well as file a report with you. You have options. You do not have to live like this. Talking to trusted adults, like other family members or a school counselor might also be good options for you as you start out.
      We hope you find this information useful. If you need something more, we encourage you to reach out to us at any time. We are here to listen, here to help. You were incredibly brave to reach out today. We wish you all the luck moving forward.
      Sincerely,
      NRS

• I am a 14 year old girl, and I'm not sure on how to do this, I am pretty nervous typing this up, but I've been thinking of running away or moving to a friends or other families place. I have never realized this but I think my family may be mentally abusive. I have been thinking about running since I was 12, sometimes younger, my parents are great but sometimes they don't realize how much they've hurt me. I have two best friends, one in Russia and the other in Italy, so my only way of talking to them is through phone, but my parents took away my phone yesterday, even though I barely got my phone back last year's October. I understand that sometimes it is my fault when they yell at me or take away my phone, but the amount of time is honestly ridiculous to me. Once I lost track of time and stood up for an hour, until 12 AM and my parents were furious. They took away my phone for about 6 months, I think. Yesterday they just took again and I don't know for how long. My parents yell at me a lot and barely listens to what I have to say. Once my dad yelled at me to shut up just because I was annoying him. This rarely happens, but my mom actually physically attacked me yesterday. She began yelling at me then she grabbed me by my collar and threw me onto the floor. She took my phone and threw it onto the floor, during that she cut two of my fingers with her nails and it bled. She grabbed me again and shoved me onto the bed and began hitting me repeatedly, on the same leg. She also scraped my left arm with her nails. After this she just started screaming into my face, I tried to take this as calmly as I could, but I couldn't help crying. Later when my Dad got home she told him everything, and without listening to my side of the story he took away my art privilege's, all my technology (except for computer, just for school) and other things, now I am only allowed to read and do homework again, this is not the first time this has happened. Do you have any advice?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thanks for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear things have been so difficult at home. You are brave to reach out for help.
      It sounds like you have experienced serious physical and emotional abuse at home, and this is never okay. You do not deserve to live in an environment where you are forced to endure these kinds of abuses, and you have options to stop them. If you are ever in immediate danger, you have the right to call 911 at any time. Any abuse happening at home can also be reported to CPS at any time. We can help you locate your area’s agency contact if you reach out to us via chat or call (1800runaway.org or 1800-RUN-AWAY). We can also directly file an abuse report. If you have questions or concerns about the process of abuse reporting, you can always reach out to Child Help at 1-800-422-4453.
      You did a great job in reaching out today. The situation you are in must be very hard. Finding people to talk to about it, like friends, other family members, or even a school counselor can be helpful. You are not alone in this. If you need further assistance, we are always here to take your call or chat.
      Stay safe and stay strong,
      NRS

• I'm 14 and I've been wanting to move out since I was about 12. My mom is always yelling at me and she has an abusive girlfriend and I'm just done my grandma said she would love for me to move in but my mom just won't allow it its like she's keeping me locked up and I hate it here and I have no where else to go and I just want to leave.

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
      While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
      The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.
      We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you would like to look into further emotional support options, you can text with a crisis worker at the National Alliance on Mental Illness 24/7 by texting "NAMI" to 741741.
      Be safe,
      NRS

• Hello anyone reading this. I'm 14 years old and have been thinking about getting some form of occupation and a separate household. I have a mentally and verbally abusive mother who is bi-polar. My parents have been divorced for some time and my dad is mostly my last resort. Recently I've been thinking about just leaving, everything is becoming too much. Because of COVID19, I'm failing school, I can't get my grades up, my stress levels are going through the roof, and I have no motivation to live that much anymore. I can't call anyone or anything since this is a school chrome-book, as I've had everything else taken away from me to punish me for my failing grades. I've been struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts for some time now. I have tried to commit twice a year back and 3 years back. No one knows that I'm struggling as I prefer to keep my pain, judgement, sadness, etc. to myself. I believe others shouldn't have to really know what I've been through as no one really cares about me, my mental health, my physical health, and my overall well-being. Thank you to whoever is reading this.
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 01-13-2021, 04:37 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
      It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being mentally and verbally abused. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453 (www.childhelp.org) is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. They can tell you more about how CPS could respond to your situation. If you ever need assistance calling out to CPS to make an abuse or neglect report please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.
      It sounds like you’re fearing that the situation may end in suicide if things don’t change. Your safety and well-being is important. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255) is also a great resource to reach out to for crisis services. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

With COVID, this may be an isolating and lonely time for you, but you are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We encourage you to reach out to us at any time. We are here to listen, here to help.
      Sincerely, NRS

• I’m 14 and I want to move in with my bf because I don’t wanna move to fl because nc is my home and all my family is here and my parents are making me move to fl when I don’t want to

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out. Facing a move can be really hard, especially if you're moving away from your support systems. It seems like your parents aren’t fully understanding you when you are trying to relay your thoughts and feelings about your current situation. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your family so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• I'm fourteen, and I'm thinking about running away. I'm tired of living with my family, because they never seem to listen to anything I try to tell them, and they never seem to care about my feelings. I suffer from depression, and I have suffered from depression ever since I was eleven, but no one ever seems to try to help me. I'm always feeling stressed out, and my parents are always in my face about school work even though I try my hardest to get good grades, but it seems like I'm never good enough for them. They never give me any privacy, I'm not even allowed to shut my door. They walk in at random times just to see what I'm doing on my phone which makes me feel like I have no freedom. My mom is always taking my phone from me for ridiculous reasons, and I'm left without it until she wants to give it back to me. I have mental issues, I hardly have any friend at school because I have really bad social anxiety. I have a boyfriend named Jackie who is sixteen that I want to go live with, but he lives states away from me and I have no idea how to get to him. If I tried, I would most likely get lost or kidnapped, but I'm willing to risk it. I'm tired of living like this every single day, I can't live like this anymore. I'm hardly ever happy, and I just want to be with my boyfriend. I love him more than anything in this world, and he has helped me get through all of this. I want to get out of here, now.

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. Running away is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do.

You mentioned struggling with depression for quite a few years and feeling anxiety when in social settings, and you aren't alone in this. If you’d like some additional support, an organization that may be helpful is the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). You can contact them by calling 1-800-950-NAMI or you can text them by sending NAMI to 741741. Another agency that could be of great help is the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), they can help you locate low or no cost mental health care providers in your area. Their number is 1-800-662-4357 or you can go to their site at samhsa.gov.

It seems like your parents aren’t fully understanding how their actions and the lack of privacy is affecting you. It could be a good idea to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your family so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

• Hi, I'm 14 years old. My father is mentally abusive towards me, and acts like my brother can do no wrong, because he is two years younger than me. He controls my phone and all of my other electronics and can see everything I do. He once got so angry that he took away literally everything in my bedroom, even my bed and my door. My mother doesn't do anything about it, she just says to do what my father says. I don't know what to do, because they control all of my income and my bank account, so I can't use any of the money I made. There is nowhere I can go. He takes away everything I care about. I can't help feeling like it's my fault, because he says that it's because of me that it's all happening. I find myself dreading going home. I just want to be left alone from them. I would rather move out and try to find an apartment then stay at home but I know that I won't be able to survive or progress in life if I do so help?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so much for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline! It sounds like there’s a lot going on at home right now, and it can take a lot of courage to reach out to others for help.

It can be hard living in an environment where you feel like someone is taking away everything you care about, and living somewhere you don’t look forward to going to home to. It is not your fault at all that your father is acting this way towards you. You are not in control of his emotions and how he acts. You deserve to be treated with respect and understanding for who you are as a person.

Have you shared how you’re feeling with anyone else? Sometimes it can be helpful to share with a family member or close friend how you’re feeling about your home situation. You might also consider seeing if there’s a relative or friend you could stay with, even for a short period of time. You might also consider talking with a therapist or counselor about this. They may be able to give you helpful insight about yourself and the situation.

You can reach out to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, or chat with us on our website if you want to talk about other options to explore. You can also reach out to Child Help, the national child abuse hotline, at 1-800-422-4453. Again, thank you so much for reaching out to us. We’re very glad you did. Best of luck!

NRS

• I´m 14 and I really want to runaway from my house, things aren´t going to good between my parents, my dad works all day and my mom does nothing but talk to her friend or watch TV, she clearly hates me she wont acknowledge my presence unless it is to get mad at me, I just want to leave and live with my grandparents but I don know if that is legal or not. My brother wants nothing to do with me at all and I am always trying to help my little sister. I don´t know what to do anymore.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that things at home are so difficult. It sounds like you have a ton on your plate and it makes sense that you feel overwhelmed or confused. Maybe it would be a good idea to talk to your grandparents about trying to convince your parents to let you stay with them. What you’re dealing with sounds complex and it may be helpful to talk more in depth about what is going on and how to deal with things. If you are interested in having that conversation, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-786-2929 or chat with us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS
Working...
X