No announcement yet.

I'm 14 and I want to move out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, my mom mentally abuses me everyday and one time I stayed out a little later when at a friends sleepover and she tracked me on her phone and yelled at me, unfortunately I was stressed that whole night and couldn’t focus cause I was so terrified of her, now I’m not allowed to have any sleepover for the whole summer, which sucks because I always go to my friends so I don’t have to be with her. I want to runaway but I would never because I’m scared what she’ll do if she ever finds me. No one ever believes me if I tell them about her because she’s so sweet to everyone else, she just takes out her anger at me. I live in Canada so I don’t know if the laws are different here

Comment

• Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. If you are located in a country outside of the USA, you can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/.
      We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Take care,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

• Hi, I'm 14 and I'm done with my family. My father just got out of hospital after being winter for a year in critical care. He's gotten back and now acts like he's in control. I talk back to him and get mad at him often. same with my mum. my brother is verbally abusing me, I'm fine with it as I've already said half the things he's said to myself but I can only take so much. I don't want to live with them anymore and I feel like my brother wants me dead (he does). questions-

- am I allowed to ask my grandma to have legal guardianship over me? (I should be able to make this decision)
        - do I have a say, can I ask to stay somewhere else
        - is there any way I can get away before 18?
        - can I do an exchange in another country at 14 to getaway?

please, I can't live in my house anymore. I physically and now mentally am over it.
        Last edited by ccsmod4; 07-02-2020, 07:27 AM.

Comment

• ccsmod4
          ccsmod4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello,
          Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. You do not deserve to be abused by anyone. It’s not your fault that your brother is doing this. It sounds like the relationships with family members have been frustrating and upsetting to you. We understand that when things feel overwhelming it’s sometimes difficult to cope with.
          Just so that you know we are not legal experts and only can provide some general legal information.

Someone under 18 that leaves home without parental consent, the parent/guardian may file them as a runaway and they may be returned home. Also, those that a reported runaway stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally. For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police. Again we are not legal experts. Some of the things you are asking may require a court of law.

If you would like to talk more in detail we are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you.
          Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
          NRS

• i am 14 years old, my dad hits my brother so much, and he calls us names all the time. i am never allowed to hangout, even though it is so easy. i want to move in with somebody, their parents already said itd be okay, but my parents defintley wont let me. i dont know what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey there,
          Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline (NRS) it seems like you and your brother are going through a lot right now and you don’t deserve to be treated that way. It makes sense to want to get out of a violent and scary situation like that.
          Your dad hitting your brother like that likely is physical abuse, and as such could be reported. The name calling and could also qualify as well but can be hard to prove but is still potentially abuse. You and your brother don’t deserve to be treated this way. If you want you could contact child help at 1-800-422-4453 to find out more about child abuse reporting and the process. We can also help you to file an abuse report should you choose to.
          We are here to listen and try and help you through this difficult situation, we are here to explore the situation more and discuss possible other options to help you keep safe. Sometimes just being able to talk about the situation can help things as well. We are available 24/7 to talk at 1-800-786-2929, or online at 1800runaway.org.
          Looking forward to hearing from you again soon,
          NRS.

• I dont want anyone to know yet but i wanna leave my house i only live with my father in France as my mother stayed in india when my parents separated anyaways thats not the point
        i wanna leave because i dont have enough Freedom and i am Always into fights with my father where he even says his self that until i live Under his roof i have to respect his rules and if i dont want to i can leave now and i know and he doees too that we love each other but i cant take it anymore Everyday its just to heavy to have this atmosphere and even my siblings want me to leave and i know what u r ganna say its normal they dont mean it but trust me they do when i told my brother that i am ganna leave and i wanted him to know he started screaming of hapiness so yeah i want to leave to be own my own and i need Freedom and specially be independant so peole dont need to tell me what to do but specially i dont need to be forced to be the way they want and i need help cause i dont know how i can live on my own before 16 and please dont reply by leagally you cant or call this number or we understand i really need a solution and if not u r not helping me and i have a question if my parents dont report or go to the police could i leave please tell me i can…
        and also i dont wanna go live with my mother cause i would have to change all my life again and its not ganna be better with her cause the problem is me and she also hits me i want Freedom and that i will have much less with her so please help me...thanks…
        i need to move out very soon
        i would want a apartement but i dont have thr money and i could atleast stzy with freinds for a while pleasee…

Comment

• ccsmod13
          ccsmod13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS and we appreciate you for sharing your situation with us. It sounds like you feeling isolated and not welcome at home because of the way your dad and siblings treat you. It can definitely get stressful and overwhelming living with a strict and controlling parent. You deserve to be treated with respect and to feel cared for.

We are not here to judge or tell you what you should do, but we do want to make sure you can make informed decisions and stay as safe as possible. Leaving home and becoming independent can be a big decision to make, but you are the expert on what is best for you and your well being. Having a solid plan about what you are planning on doing might be a good idea so that you can think about what will and will not be possible and work for you. Considering certain factors and aspects for your plan might help you make your decisions about your next steps: where are you going to be living, are you going to be working/going to school, how will you financially support yourself, what will you do in case of a medical emergency. Taking this step toward independence can be a huge step to take and we want you to be as safe as possible when making your decision.

There can be some risks and challenges associated with leaving home at your age. Again, we don't want to tell you what to do or what not do. We just want you to be informed on possible consequences and outcomes so that you can make a solid and safe plan for yourself. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA) so we don't know how to answer your questions about leaving. Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. You can use this link to find a youth helpline in or around your country: https://www.childhelplineinternation...pline-network/. We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Good luck and stay safe,
          NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X