No announcement yet.

I'm 14 and I want to move out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I honestly just want to leave this house. Like this past night my mother left and went somewhere because of me. Neither me nor my dad dont know where she went. Lately ive been feeling like ive been messing a lot of stuff up. And I just don't want to mess up anything else, I might go live at a friends grandparents house. They are basically like family to me and i would rather be over there than here. And my parents took away my phone cause they think ive been sending nudes. i dont and ive told them that before but they dont trust me at all. They took my phone cause i talk to my friends to much, i talk to them cause i feel like they are the only people i can go to sometimes and i feel comfortable talking to them about the fact that im not ok most of the time. But I dont know what to do, what should i do?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there, thank you for reaching out to us today! We can tell you are very strong and independent and would like to be more understood and loved, and that your family is not being there for you. We want you to know that we are here for you, and that you are not alone.
      It sounds like maybe there isn’t clear communication between you and your family, and they overreact and become mistrusting towards you. One option may be to talk to them, either one on one, or as a group. Perhaps an option would be to either prepare a conversation with them of how you feel, or look for a counselor to get involved to help. Miscommunication in families is a common thing, and it is very understandable to feel upset over that and how they falsely accuse you. We have some services here at National Runaway Safeline such as conference calling (a call between a liner, you, and your parents) and message service (a service where you leave a message for your parents) if you would like us to help you with a conversation with your parents. It sounds like you simply want to communicate to your parents that you need to talk to your friends because they understand you, and if your parents could understand that, you would be much happier. You deserve for your feelings to be validated.
      In terms of running away, an important thing to know is that as long as you are a minor, your parents are entitled to file a runaway report, and that running away is considered a status offense, not a crime. If there is a report out on you and you encounter the police, they will be entitled to notify your guardian and return you home. It depends on the police department, however, on how they process reports. Additionally, while we are not legal experts, any adult sheltering you could be at risk of harboring a runaway, which is usually considered a misdemeanor.
      It sounds like you have a very good support network with your friends. That is a really great and important thing to have. Perhaps another option is to reach out to another adult, teacher, or school counselor to tell them how you feel. Perhaps your friend’s grandparents can be another resource to you as well for help. In any case, if you are in need of a safe place, National Safe Place is a resource there for you by texting SAFE and your location to 44357.
      If you need any resources such as shelters, self-help lines, or more referrals and resources, feel free to call in to our hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can help you. Again, we’re really glad you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help and you are trying to figure out your options which is really good to see. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us. We’re here to listen, here to help.

• I'm 14 my situation is pretty bad I have a cousin telling me to move in me and him have always been close but my dad wont let me I'm curious if thier is any legal documents to give my cousin legal guardian ship of me to let me move in with him even part adoption could work

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

• I’m 14 and I want to move to a different state anywhere but Michigan but I would like to live in or near Missouri I have a lot of friends and family here and I hate to leave them but also I’m a way I don’t care I could just FaceTime them I atleast want to live in a different state for a year I hate it here like I cried all day because of how much I hate it I don’t know what to do

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that you are so miserable where you are and it is understandable why you would want to leave a place that makes you feel like that. Unfortunately, because you’re still a minor, your parents would have the right to have the police look for you and return you home if you left without their permission. It could be a good idea to talk to them about maybe taking more time to go out of state. That could look like vacations or maybe looking into boarding school or camp opportunities in other states like Missouri. If you want to talk more about what your options are or how to run away in a safe manner, please don’t hesitate to call us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
      NRS

• I am 13 and I'm sick of my mom yelling at me every single day. She yells at me for no reason all the time. She blames everything on me. I'm either going to kill myself or runaway. I can't do this anymore. My dad is in rehab and I am going to try to move in with him when he gets out. My dad is always nice to me and never yells at me. When he tells me he loves me I feel it but when my mom says she loves me I don't believe it. My grandma always takes her side and says that I'm disrespectful. I cant to this anymore I need advice before anything gets worse. Sometimes I just cry thinking about my situation. She does a lot for me she's just really mean. Like I've said before I really can't do this anymore. She will either find me dead with a note or wont find me at all. I'm very depressed and I want to move in with my Aunt.Please help me.

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello! Thank you for reaching out to NRS! Your situation sounds very difficult. You deserve to feel loved and supported at home. You said that you might kill yourself. We take this very seriously. Your safety is our first priority. If you feel like you are going to kill yourself you can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1800-273-8255. They can help provide support for you during this rough time. You also mention that you are depressed. We have a resource that might be beneficial to you. You can reach out to NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) at 1800-950-NAMI or text NAMI to 741741. They can offer you support on how you are feeling and also help find some resources for you regarding your mental health.
      You deserve to be treated well at home. Child Help might be a good resource to call when dealing with the way your mom treats you. You can call them at 1800-422-4453. They would be able to talk with you about your situation and figure out what steps can be taken to help you. You can also always call us at 1800-786-2929 or visit us via out live chat at www.1800runaway.org. We would be able to answer questions you may have or be a listening ear. We are 24/7 and are confidential.

Stay safe.
      National Runaway Safeline

• I’m 15 and it’s hard living at home my parents are constantly fighting it’s hard to listen to they where gonna get a divorce and my father blamed it on me my mother makes me out to be some with socializing problems and always goes on to people that I don’t like mixing and I’m weird growing up I was abused and still get flashbacks I always argue with my sister and lose my temper on her and then feel bad it’s so frustrating I’m always under pressure to be perfect at school and everything I do

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. It must be really hard to live in a home with so much tension. It's not fair to you that your parents put you at the center of their own issues. You mentioned that you were abused when you were younger. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/.

You also brought up that you have been having some flashbacks about the abuse and have been feeling like you are under a lot of pressure. It could be a good idea to try to speak with your parents about how this is all affecting you. You may want to work with a local family counselor or have a conversation mediated by a school counselor/social worker, trusted friend, or family member to help clear the air. If you'd like, you can also call us directly and we can conduct a conference call with your parents so you have a safe environment where you can express yourself.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
      NRS

• hi im 14 and i want to move out . I have looked at apartments , i want to graduate early so i can move out younger . My mom yells at me even if i make a little mistake . She expects me to be perfect and i a can't be . I'm tired of trying to make her happy because she never will me . sometimes i wonder what my life would be like if she wasn't in it . i just can't live with her . i am trying to be happy and she won't let me be . i love her so much and want her to be my best friend but she always gives me a reason not to trust her or tell her things . i want to move with my grandma (my dads mom) because i can't take this anymore . i have never cried so much in one day but i just now i can say i have . she doesn't give me respect , support me , or show that she cares . she has made fun of me for my anxiety and has made fun of me . should i tell her ?

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X