No announcement yet.

Wanting To Leave

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wanting To Leave

    I'm 17 years old and live in Missouri where I am a legal adult, I guess. And I want to move out/runaway but I'm in foster care. Will they come after me????

  • #2
    Hello there thanks for reaching out.

    Unfortunately, the legal age where you become an adult and make your own life decisions is 18 in Missouri. If you were to leave your placement, your foster parent or case worker could make a runaway report for you with police. If the police take a runaway report for you, you would be entered into a national database as a runaway, and if you are found by police you would be returned to your placement or back into state care. With older 17 year old youth, it is hard to say how police will respond. One way to find out is to call your local non-emergency police station’s number and see if they would take a runaway report for a 17 year old.

    Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you ever you need. We can talk about your situation more in depth, and help brainstorm your options.

    We truly wish you the best,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp