I ran away while on probation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ran away while on probation

so a couple of days ago i ran away from my foster home because i was really stressed out at the time i thought it was the best thing to do.but now im having a lot of regretful feelings.i wanna turn myself in because a couple of days before i ran i had a job interview so yesterday i found out i got the job and they want me to come in soon for paperwork,but i ran away so im scared if i turn myself in ima go to jail.but i want to so i can still have a chance at keeping the job.im confused and lost on what to do i need advice!!!!!

re: I ran away while on probation

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out today and posting here. It sounds like you’re in a pretty overwhelming situation and that you’re worried about the decision that you made. It seems like you left your foster home because you were really feeling frustrated and stressed. Let’s see how we can help you out.

It’s a difficult situation that you’re in because there are potential consequences for whatever you decide to do. If you go back to your foster home, you might face some jail time. If you stay where you are, you won’t be able to get a job or continue your education without the threat of facing some jail time. It’s tough. In a situation like this it can be helpful to get as much information as possible. Reaching out your probation officer or to your social worker might be a good next step because they might be able to give you more information as to what consequences you could face if you came back home.

Weighing the pros and cons and thinking through your next steps (no matter what you decide) can be helpful. Answering this question – What is my long term plan? – can help you decide what steps you need to take now to make those ideas happen. Also reaching out to friends or family members who can give you trusted advice can be good too.

We hope that this is helpful start for you. It’s not an easy situation that you’re in, but you’re doing the right thing by asking questions and trying to figure it all out. If you want to talk more about anything, please give us a call 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are confidential and anonymous. If you aren’t able to call, you can chat with us through our website (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm central time.

We look forward to your call or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hey I'm sixteen and live in Georgia and the legal age for being an adult is 17 and I have court next Tuesday what would happen to me if I ran away until I was 17

Comment

Reply: Hey I'm sixteen and live in Georgia

Hi there,
        Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
        As of right now you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options.
        It also sounds like you have run away before and have some concerns about what might happen if you are picked up by the police.

While we are not experts on the law, someone under 18 that leaves home, the parent/guardian may file them as a runaway and they may be returned home. Also, those that a reported runaway stays with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. Anyone found to be assisting or aiding someone to run away may also find themselves at risk legally. For more specifics on the law, you might consider contacting the local non-emergency number for the police. You might also look for a legal aid center in the area. They may be able to answer any legal questions on the subject.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
        Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
        NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

i am on probation and wanna runwaway what do i do

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a tricky situation and you're wanting to run while on probation. Here at NRS, we truly want to be a support for you and inform you so you can make the decision that is best for you.

We are not legal experts, but we can speak generally about runaway laws. If you are a minor and you leave home without permission, your parents can file you as a runaway with local police. Depending on your state's laws, running away is generally a status offense meaning that it is not illegal rather it is something you can't do because of your age and you generally would just be returned home if found. However. since you are on probation there could be legal consequences for violating your probation by running.

It cannot be easy to deal with both being on probation and being unhappy at home. If we knew more about your situation, we might be able to help you identify some options. Please know that you are not alone and we are always here to support you. If you would like to talk through your situation, need resources, or need some support please call or chat us: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

Best,

NRS

Wants the legal consequences for run away on p.o.

Comment

• ccsmod10
            ccsmod10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
            Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
            We hope to hear from you soon.

Be safe, NRS
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X