No announcement yet.

im 16. i want to move out and work but still go to school.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • im 16. i want to move out and work but still go to school.

    My parents arent bad people but i want to move out. They recently found out that im not a virgin anymore and i took off and they found me and took me home. They said they would press charges against my boyfriend because we had sex both at 16. Also they said if i get a job they are controlling my money til i turn 18. they are threatening to move me away. i need help im a good student and child. My bf and i had problems in the past but we worked through it. they used to adore him but they keep threatening to press charges if they find out we still talking. My parents got us taken away a couple years ago through cps and used to have a drug problem. i know i can take care of myself, i just need the job. i need anything just something. i love them but i cant do it anymore. they keep calling me a ***** or **** when they get mad for having sex with my year and half bf. im in texas. i just want out.

  • #2
    Hi #1,
    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are here to support you and help you as best we can. It’s not easy to ask for help. Because you reached out and shared your issue with us, you’re very courageous. It’s also understandable to feel a bit frustrated. Our main priority is your safety and well-being.
    The easiest way to live on your own is by being an adult. We’re not legal experts, but in most states, the legal age of adulthood is 18. You can verify the age of adulthood by checking the following website:, or by calling your local police department's non-emergency number.
    The age of consent varies from state to state. It’s usually between 16 and 18, therefore, they might be able to press some kind of charges. We just don’t know enough details to know for sure.
    Have you tried talking to them about possibly letting you stay with relatives or a family friend for an extended period of time?
    Have you tried talking to anyone about your situation? A school counselor or teacher? A relative?
    Because your parents call you names, your situation might be considered verbal, emotional, and/or psychological abuse. You could file a child abuse report and possibly live with someone else that way. We could help you file a child abuse report if you’d like.
    Another option you have is getting emancipated, meaning, legally being able to live on your own. In order for this to happen, however, you must be able to prove that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation could be a lengthy and tiring process, and may cost some money. If it’s something you are considering, we might be able to provide some legal resources.
    Also, we offer mediation services that might improve your situation at home. Our relay service allows us to give your mom or dad a message on your behalf.
    Our conference call service allows us to mediate a phone call between you and your mom or dad.
    We are nondirective, but we can help you come up with more options.
    The best way we can help you is by offering resources based on the details you provide us while talking over the phone or by chatting online.
    Again, we’re really glad that you reached out to us. It takes a lot to ask for help and you are trying to figure out your options which is really good. If you would like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call or chat with us.
    We’re here to listen, here to help.

    We are here as support to help through this challenging time. Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST and can be accessed here:

    Call 1-800-RUNAWAY if you are thinking of running from home, if you have a friend who has runaway, or if you are a runaway ready to go home.

    Take Care,
    National Runaway Safeline
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp