•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod13
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS! From what you shared, it sounds like you are currently staying with your aunt, but she has not been making living with her a supportive situation. You deserve to feel safe and comfortable at home, so it is not okay that your aunt is not providing for you in that way. It is understandable you would not want to go back to a placement or juvenile detention. It appears that you are still a ward of the state which means it is most likely up to your caseworker to approve where you stay. If there is long-term youth shelter or housing program you would like to go, then talking to your caseworker about it would be a good idea. If you are not sure where you would like to go, we are available 24/7 by phone (1-800-786-2929) or chat (1800runaway.org) to talk with you about your options and help connect you with youth agencies.

Please do not hesitate to reach out by phone or chat anytime. We are here to help you as best we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi iam 14 turning 15 in December Iam a foster child I live with my aunt but I cant deal wit it anymore its not for me and I dont want to go back in to a placement or juvenile detention center so I was wondering if I can have my dhhs worker bring me there

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now. Unfortunately we are based in the United States, and we do not have resources in Canada.
    Take Care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 15 going to be 16 at the end of the year and have a four month old baby they want me out of the house but have care giver of my son till I turn 16 I have contacted many people and no one has a place for me to go I need somewhere ASAP I live in Ajax Ontario

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out. It’s important to consider all the possibilities that can occur if you leave home. You will need to plan out how you will cover basic necessities like travel, food, clothing, etc. If you have a place to go in mind, it’s good to see what the expectations of the living arrangement will be like; rules, the amount of time you’re allowed to stay, if you’re expected to contribute financially, etc. If you are planning on staying in a shelter it's good to know that often times shelters can be gender-specific, so if you and your boyfriend identify as different genders you may not be able to stay in the same place. Living on your own can also bring about many safety risks. You will need to consider ways that you can protect yourself from physical harm as well as the possibility of exploitation. This can all influence your decision to leave.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Me and my boyfriend want to runaway with each other cause we can’t take it at home where is a good place to go

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. If you are 18 in the state of New York, you are legally an adult and have the right to decide where you live. You also have the right to enroll in school without a guardian’s consent. If you are still in school, it would be unlikely that you would have to re-enroll. While we are not legal experts, it is our understanding that you could move out from your dad’s place if you wanted to. If you want to talk about how to go about doing that or if you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to give us a call on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 18 and I don’t want to live with my dad but I am still in school what do I do I’m living in Bronx New York

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hello, thank you for contacting NRS for help.

It sounds like you are in a difficult situation and you are in need of somewhere to stay. You are 18 which means you are a legal adult and can stay at a shelter without parental consent. You can dial call 2-1-1 or go to 211.org if you are calling from an area code that is different than your location to find the available shelters in your are. Additionally we are available 24/7 by phone at 1-800-786-2929 or chat at 1800runaway.org to help you find a shelter or housing program that is the best fit for you.

We hope to hear from you soon,

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 18 currently in school can I still go into a shelter my father isn’t really doing much we had a ax’s case twice and I needn’t to just leave what can I do ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you and your fiance are in a tight spot. It is legal for you two to go to an adult shelter. To find adult shelters in your area you can call 2-1-1 or go to 211.org if you are calling from an area code that is different than your location. You also can search local shelters at www.homelessshelterdirectory.org.

Here at NRS, we have a national database transitional living program (TLPs) resources, or longer stay shelter programs for older youth and young adults. Please call or chat us if you are interested in seeing if there are any TLPs in your area: 1-800-RUNAWAY or www.1800runaway.org.

We hope this information is helpful and we look forward to hearing from you all. Be safe out there,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi my fiance and i live in ohio and cannot a job what is the legal age to go to a homeless shelter shes 20 and im 21

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    hank you for reaching out to us and sharing what is going on. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and it is great that you are taking steps to find answers to your questions as you are thinking about leaving your current living situation. We are not legally trained, so we can’t say for sure what would happen once you leave home. However, we do have experience working with runaway youth, and would be happy to share what could happen in your situation.
    It sounds like you are in a complex situation with regards to your guardianship in the mental health system. We would encourage you to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) to discuss the specific details of your situation further. In general, if your guardian decided that you needed to stay at the group home, then you would need to stay there.
    Before you turn 18, a shelter will most likely try to contact your parents because you are a minor, and they oftentimes need you’re their permission to shelter you. If you were to runaway and to come into contact with police, they would probably bring you back to the group home if your guardian filed a runaway report. Again, we encourage you to contact us about how this might apply to your specific situation.
    If you would like to talk more or if you are interested in resources that may be able to help you out, you can reach us 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our chat service on our website (www.1800runaway.org).

We look forward to hearing from you and wish you the best of luck!

~NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I live in Texas and I will Be 18 in 1 month and want to know:
    1: can I leave my home because I don't live with my parents but in a mental health system, and I am getting reevaluated at 18 but my provider will be there and I don't want to live with them for any longer.
    2: will a shelter call my parents
    3: will I have to go back to my group home

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hi there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are in a hurtful situation where your parents have said they might put you out, and you are looking for somewhere to go.

Here at NRS, we can look for runaway and homeless youth shelters in your area if you call or chat us: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org. Each shelter has different protocols, so some might have grace periods where they do not need to tell your parents you are there, while others unfortunately need parental permission for you to enter the shelter. It sounds like your parents are not wanting you to stay at home, and you are not wanting to stay as well. You might try to talk to your parents about places with family members or friends that they would be okay with your staying at. Generally speaking, the easiest way you can live away from home is with permission, even though we understand those might be really hard conversations to have. If you ever would like to have a mediated conference call with your parents to let them know how you are feeling and what you need, please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Please do not hesitate to call or chat if you have questions, need resources, or need to talk. We can explore your situation, go over all your options, and come up with a plan and resources to deal with your situation over the phone or on live chat.

We are looking forward to hearing from you soon, and wish you the best of luck.

-NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X