•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod9
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hello there,
    Thanks for coming to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.
    It sounds like things at home are really tough. We’re so sorry to hear about the conditions you are made to live in. Your father sounds really hard to get along with. It is understandable that you’d want a better place for yourself.
    We’re not legal experts here, but the conditions you described and dad’s actions may count as abuse or neglect. If you’d like to learn more about what you can do about this, you could visit www.childhelp.org for more information about abuse reporting. If you’d like help with filing a report, you could call us directly and someone here would be happy to help you.
    Sometimes, if child protective services get involved, they may deem someone like your grandmother better fit to care for you, even if they don’t have parental rights. This isn’t always the case, but if you’d like, we could conference call with your state’s abuse reporting hotline to see what they might say about this. We’re available 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). If you called we’d be able to set this conference call up.
    Please consider talking to us directly so we can try to brainstorm a good solution with you. We’re confidential as well so we are a safe place.
    Stay strong,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Im 16 about to be 17 next month and i cant deal with oiving with my dad . He always picks fights and getins in my face telling me to hit him and i live in a 2 bed room house with 7 people and there is mice everywhere and i want a to live in a better environment to prevent me from doing something and going to jail . I have a grandma who wants me to move in but my dad wont let me . I NEED HELP

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: I live in Staten Island and I am 15 years old

Hello,
    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you ran away from home and would like to stay in a shelter but are worried about your siblings being placed in foster care by child protective services.
    Children are most likely removed from a home that puts them at risk of being abused.
    It really depends on the findings once a report has been filed and a case manager or social worker investigates the allegations.

We are sorry if you or anyone of your siblings are faced with any type of abuse. No one deserves to be abused and have the right to a safe environment.
    It is not the fault of the person being abused.
    Our concern is for your safety.
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed.
    It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.

NRS is here to listen and here to help, if you would like to speak more about your situation contact us at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or live chat at www.1800Runaway.org

Be safe,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I live in Staten Island and I am 15 years old and I ran away for plenty of reasons I don't wanna mention here and I have no where to turn but I'm worried if I go to a shelter my other siblings will be put into foster care is there anyway around them getting taken away.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod5
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi,
    Thanks for writing in. It sounds like you’re in a tough situation and that you’re concerned about your parents’ reaction. We’re unsure of what your relationship with your parents is like, but you might consider asking another adult to help you have a conversation with them, like a family member, guidance counselor, or therapist. We understand that this isn’t always an option, though, and you know your situation far better than we do.
    It sounds like you’re thinking of leaving home. We’re not legal experts, but to our knowledge if you leave home before you turn 18, your parents have the right to file a runaway report. If the police are able to locate you, they may return you home. Any adult you stay with may be charged with harboring a runaway. That being said, it’s always a good idea to have a plan. You might consider staying with another family member or a friend. While shelters may be an option temporarily, they typically need guardian consent after a certain amount of time.
    If you’d like to talk more specifically about your situation or would like to get specific resources in your area, we’re happy to help. Please feel free to reach out to us any time at 1-800-786-2929. Best of luck.

Guest replied
    i live in missouri. i have a big secret that i am keeping from my parents and i know if i tell them they will never trust me agian and i want to run away and im planning on doing it in january, 2018. im 14 years old. i have no money and im not sure where to stay and how to keep warm and get food when i run out. i need help and i dont want to go home

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod14
    replied
    Re: rules for homeless shelter

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. This sounds like a tough situation, you deserve to be in a safe place. We're glad that you reached out, we're here to help the best that we can.

You asked a lot of good questions here. It sounds like you are really trying to make a plan for yourself and figure out your next steps. Usually homeless shelters require that the parents of the youth to be contacted, since you are under 18 years old. If you are under 18 years old your parents have a legal obligation to care for you, or find adequate housing if you cannot live with them. If you are a runaway, and your parents reported you as a missing person, the police may be contacted and they will send you home.

Since you are 17 there is a chance the your local police department might not search for you, however this may limit your services if you do not have parents consent. We can help you find resources and help you make a plan of action. We can help you find a shelter and other options such as transitional housing, and we can also call out to these places with you. Most shelters will require some type of identification so that they know who you are/who is staying in their shelter. Shelters also usually have specific hours, allowing individuals to spend the day away for things like school. They may also have programs for schooling as well. You asked good questions that are likely dependent on the specific place.

We encourage you to call us at 1-800-786-2929 for further assistance. We're here to support you.

Thank you and good luck,

NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic rules for homeless shelter

rules for homeless shelter

I dont have a place and considering going to a homeless shelter. Im 17 and in california and was wondering what would happen if I go in one.Do I need identification, will they try to reach my parents and force me back home, will they let me leave to go to school.? Thank you .
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X