rules for homeless shelter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My mom just kicked me out of the house I have no money no family or friends I can stay the night at that would help me and idk if I can go-to a shelter cause I'm only 14 in California and I'm scared

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

We appreciate you reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are sorry to hear that your mom has kicked you out of the house. Please know that we value your safety, more than anything. We empower you to contact 911, to share with them what has happened. Though we are not legal experts, it is generally known to be illegal for your mom to kick you out, considering you are under the age of 18. The police may help you get in touch with Child Protective Services (CPS). If you do not feel comfortable contacting the police, CPS could also be a first point of contact for you. We would be happy to look up the contact information for your area, if you would like.

With the consideration that you are under the age of 18, youth shelters can be tricky to get into. They typically require parental consent in order to stay there. It also sounds like you are scared about the idea of going to a shelter, which is absolutely a valid emotion. We would be happy to explore possible alternative options with you. Please feel welcome to contact us via chat, which can be found from our "CHAT" button, on our website at www.1800runaway.org or you may give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

We wish you safety and peace and we look forward to the opportunity to talk further with you.

Warmly,
      NRS

• i’m 17, i’ll be 18 in november. i’m homeless and i want to stay in a shelter for a few weeks so i can work and save the money to rent a room somewhere. is their shelters that will accept a 17 year old?

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you have been experiencing homelessness and are in need of shelter. It varies from shelter to shelter on the rules, but in general a 17 year old would need parent/guardian permission to stay at a shelter. If you would like to discuss this further or need help find some shelters in your area, please call us through our hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us online at 1800runaway.org.
      Be safe, NRS

• I'm 12, I've been saving up for two years now to run sway and I have around $620. I've been wanting to do this for so long now because I just want to get away from my parents. My father is a complete asshole and used beat me almost everyday from the age 6-10. I live with just my mother now but it's still horrible, she yells at my frequently and it scares me, she keeps telling me she's gonna send me to live with my father again if I don't do what she says. I've been struggling with suicidal thoughts and self harm for some time now and I just want to run away and leave it all behind, I want to feel happy but I don't want to get people like police involved. I look of for my age but I just was really wondering if I were to go to a shelter for runaways would they ask me personal information? If so would I be able to lie and say I was older? I'm in NY.

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out! It can be incredibly difficult talking to someone about what is going on, especially a stranger, and we are glad you felt comfortable doing so. It is never okay for someone to hit you and you never deserve it. We cannot imagine what you must be going through, but you should always feel safe and supported at home. We will do our best to address your question, but it can be hard to tailor our response to fit your personal needs on a forum. We would love to hear from you, either through our online chat at www.1800runaway.org or our hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We are available 24/7.

We do not want to glance over the thoughts you are having about hurting and even killing yourself. It is human to experience negative and dark thoughts, but you deserve a space in this world, and we want to make sure you know where to turn if you are not able to shake those suicidal ideas. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (simply dial “988” or visit www.988lifeline.org), is a fantastic organization with people available 24/7 to talk with you and help you in whatever way you may need.

In regard to shelters, we are not legal experts, nor do we know the protocols of every shelter. However, most shelters are required to report their occupancy so they can maintain there funding and stay open for you and others who need their services. You would have to ask the individual shelters how they operate, which is something we could help with if you called us. There are shelters who take young adults from the age 12 and up, so you may not have to lie about your age to get in.

Finally, we recognize you do not want to involve the police, but we want to make sure that if you ever feel like you are in physical danger that you remove yourself from the situation and call 911. If you are ever being physically or mentally abused you can reach out to us or www.childhelp.org. If you would like to see which shelters are in your area or have any questions do not hesitate to reach out to us! We are here to listen. Here to help.

Take care and stay safe,

National Runaway Safeline

• Hi I'm 20 years old and I can not live with my parents anymore they have no idea what I have been through and I want to run away with another friend of mine that is suffering from abuse of her mom and she is 19 idk where should we go please help me I live in Nevada

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are sorry to hear that you are going through this and we want you to know that you deserve to feel supported. It looks like you have another adult friend who is also looking for a place to go to. We welcome you to reach out to us for direct support through phone, by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by utilizing our online chat service, which can be found on our website at www.1800runaway.org. This will allow us to talk further with you about the situation and potentially look up resources in your area such as shelters that you and your friend may go to. We wish you and your friend all of the best and we look forward to the opportunity to speak directly with you.

Best regards,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X