No announcement yet.

rules for homeless shelter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I’m a 17 year old female and I’ll be 18 in two or three months I would like to go in a shelter. I kinda forced my sister into the shelter when I called the cops on her boyfriend but I was scared and I wanted to get away so I ran away and she promised me it would be okay but now that we’re here everything is a problem and it’s my fault we’re here. She makes it seem like I’m the bad person when I haven’t done anything to her.

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, and thanks for contacting NRS. We know that it can take a lot of courage to reach out for support, and we're glad you took that step. In reading over your post, we don't have a super clear understanding of what's going on or how we can help, but we'd like to! If you're open to it, you can reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. This will allow us to develop a better understanding of your situation and help us decide on the best ways that we can support you. It also gives you the opportunity to vent, be heard, discuss some of your options, and be connected with resources/referrals in your community (if that's something you'd like).

We hope to hear from you!

NRS

So, I'm 14 and I'm very curious if I would be able to help out around in a homeless shelter? I have talked to my mom about this but she said she'd look into it. I've always wanted to help out the homeless it makes me very upset to see them on the streets helpless. I once gave this family of 5 my birthday money when I was 12 I gave them about $120 so they could at least get some food, drinks, and or maybe even a small hotel for the night.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      First of all, thank you so much for reaching out today. It is so kind that you are interested in helping out around a homeless shelter and that you are looking to help others.
      One resource we recommend is homelessshelterdirectory.org. You can type in your city and state and it will give you a list of homeless shelters in the area. Calling those places or looking on their websites to see if they accept volunteers would be a great first step!
      Best of luck and thank you for caring so deeply about this!
      NRS

Hello, I’m 12 and I’m bieng verbally and emotionally abused,my mom is very manipulative and always blames everything on me. I’m African American and i live in Atlanta. I need help but I’m scared of my moms anger issues- please help me

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services).

If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/. You can also call them at 800-422-4453. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering. You can call us at 1800-RUNAWAY or chat with us via our live chat at www.1800RUNAWAY.org.

Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.
      Take care,
      NRS

My nephew is homeless because his mother doesn't want him back. His dad is MIA or doesn't want to deal with it. I myself is not in a position to take him in. But I talk to him regularly. I don't want him to be homeless anymore. What should I do?

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there. Thanks for contacting us here at NRS. We know that it can be difficult to see someone we care about having a tough time, and we commend you for trying to determine the best ways to offer support.

Assuming your nephew is a minor, a report should be filed with your local Child Protective Services agency (CPS) based on neglect. Because it is his parents' legal responsibility to take care of him and/or make sure his basic needs are being met, including shelter, mom not wanting him back (thus causing him to be homeless) is not an option. By filing a report with CPS, a case worker will investigate the situation and find a safe place for your nephew to go.

In order to file a report with CPS, you can visit the local agency's website by searching the state and "filing an abuse report in ____". The website will give you detailed instructions on how to do so, but it's important to file this sort of report by phone (as opposed to online) so that they can respond immediately.

If you have any other questions or want to learn more about what filing a report might look like, please feel free to reach out to us directly by calling 1-800-RUNAWAY or by chatting with us live at www.1800runaway.org. We're available 24/7 and are always happy to listen, and to help.

Take care.

NRS

Hi, I'm from Virginia and I'm 15. My dad has been emotionally and physically abusive almost my whole life and my siblings and my mom know about it. My mother doesn't see everything he does but when I try to tell her about him she refuses to believe its true and is in denial. I know my mother does not love my father but I don't know why she continues to stay with him. I want to runaway but I'm not sure if homeless shelters would take me in without a guardian's consent. I'm planning on running away sometime next week if things don't get better at home. I don't want to report my 'father' to the police because I don't want anything bad to happen to my sibling's or my mother and I would hate if I was separated from them. I don't know how much longer I can survive living like this and I'm not sure what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello There,

Thank you so much for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now and we want you to know that you are not alone.

You do not deserve to be abused in any type of way and we are sorry you are going through that. We know you mentioned you do not want to report in fear of your family being separated. That does not happen in all cases, child protective services may offer counseling or parenting classes. If you ever do wish to report you can contact us or Child Help at 1800-422-4453.

As far as running away, we are not legal experts but we do have some information. If you were to leave home without permission your legal guardian could file a runaway report, and it is possible for you to be brought back home. Also you are right a lot of shelters would require parental permission. It may be a good idea to ask if you can stay with any friends or family members if you are planning explorddon leaving.

We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any more questions or would like to explore more options, please give us a call. We are available 24/7 to listen and to provide support. We wish you the best of luck!

NRS

Hello, i am a 14 year old from North Carolina and I'm thinking abt running away bc i feel unwanted and emotionally abused from where I live. I have a dog but don't want to give her up and i don't know of any places here who would accept me underage and with a dog.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,

You mentioned some things that raise concern for your safety and well-being. If any harm or abuse is happening at home, you have the right to report it. We are not experts on the issue, but generally once it's been reported, social services will either decide whether or not to take the case and further investigate. If they do take the case, they will send out someone from child protective services to do an investigation (interviewing people in the household) and from there they will decide the level of danger within the household. It generally ranges from no danger (the youth stays in the home, some services are given, and the case is closed), moderate danger (they will provide family services with possible temporary displacement) and high danger (they will remove the youth from the home and offer certain services). If you feel like this is an option you want to explore, you may find this website helpful: https://www.childhelp.org/child-abuse/or you can call them at 1800-422-4453. We can also help you to file a report if that’s the route you are considering.

Please be safe and reach out soon by phone or chat so that we may help.
      Take care,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X