No announcement yet.

rules for homeless shelter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I am 18 years old I live in New York the Bronx and my mother has recently kicked me out my house and i don’t have a place to live. I was wondering if I would be able to get into a homeless shelter and F.I.Y. I was already in like 2 years with my mom and my brothers but I was wondering now can I do it by myself or with my boyfriend and can we get the same help to have our own apartment later in the future
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 08-28-2019, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Hi, I am 18 years old i live in New York the Bronx

Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. Since you are 21 you can seek services from an adult shelter in your area. For referrals, call 311 (in NYC) or 212- 639-9675

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
      NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

How old do you have to be to go to a shelter ?

Comment

• ccsmod13
          ccsmod13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. Age requirements can differ for different shelters. If you are under the age of 18, there are youth shelters available to help if you do not feel safe at home. Youth shelters generally have social workers who are there to help you. If your parents If your parents do not give permission for you to be there, a youth shelter will likely be a short-term solution before being returned home. If you do not feel safe at home and you need somewhere to go, you can contact the national safe place for help. All you have to do is text "safe" and your current address to 44357 for the nearest safe place.

If you are 18 or over, you can find shelters in your area by going to www.homelessshelterdirectory.org. At 18 you can decide where you want to live and your parents would not need to give permission for you to be at a shelter.

We can best be of help by phone or chat if you want to talk more about what is going on and explore your options. Please do not hesitate to reach out at 1-800-786-2929 or use our online chat services at 1800runaway.org.

Be safe,
          NRS

I'm 11 and my sister is so controlling over life and my mom helps her I just wanna run away and not go into foster care

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like you are in a pretty unfair situation at home and want to go into foster care.

Generally speaking, the 2 ways for you to go into foster care are for your parents to voluntarily ask that their custody of you be removed, or if home is proven to be dangerous for you by child protective services. If your safety is in question and you would like to explore that option, please do not hesitate to call or chat us to go over it 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

We are here 24/7 if you would like to call or chat us so we can better help. We can talk through your situation and help with brainstorming your options with you.

Best of luck,

NRS

My daughter is 19 years old and has decided that living in a shelter would be better than living at home. She dropped out of college at 18 and has not been working, smoking marijuana and has had no plan for her future other than to “get a job”. As parents we have tried to support her- help her find a job, given her a car to drive and cell phone. The more we try to give her space and time to develop herself the worse it has gotten. Tonight she packed some clothes and left with only those belongings for a local shelter. We are torn as to what to do, knowing she is of legal age to leave our home. Can anyone help us?

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you are struggling to give your daughter some independence. It’s hard to watch your child making decisions that you are not comfortable with. We are not legal experts but since she is considered an adult legally there isn’t much you can do from a legal standpoint unless you have some justifiable reason to think she isn’t capable of making sound decisions. It may be a good idea to give her some space to make some decisions and mess up if she must. Maybe if you try and be supportive and let her know that she is welcomed back whenever she wants it might make her want to come back home. If you need to talk to someone about what you are experiencing contact NAMI by texting NAMI to 741741 or call 1800-950-NAMI.

Hi. My friend and I are both 13-year-olds, turning 14 next year in 2020. I live in a household with a loving mother and a... not so loving father... He screams a lot and tends to push me to limits to the point that I snap and shout back. That always manages to make it worse. I've developed severe anxiety because of that, as well as depression. My friend, as well as the school counselors, agree that it seems to be mental abuse, but I'm unwilling to call CPS.

My best friend lives in a family where both their parents continuously mentally and sometimes physically abuse them. They are non-binary, and not many people like that. Like me, they've developed severe anxiety and depression and is also unwilling to call CPS. We both believe that the call may end up making things worse. Both of us also suffer from repeated self-harm.

Eventually, we began exploring the idea of running away. Over the course of three days, I have developed a four-page plan with the majority of the things we know about running away. All we need now is a location to stay at, as well as a few answers to other things. Will any shelters accept us? What will they be like? (I doubt this, but) Will they have wifi? Are the shelters themselves safe for young kids like us? Are there other options for places to stay? Will we be able to get some form of education? Around how hard will it be for young kids like us to make it in this world? I may have more questions, but I'll probably ask them later. Thank you for your time.

Comment

• ccsmod3
          ccsmod3 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like you and your best friend have given this some serious thought. If you want to report any abuse you can do so at Child Help, 1800-422-4453. Age requirements can differ for different shelters. If you are under the age of 18, there are youth shelters available to help if you do not feel safe at home. Youth shelters generally have social workers who are there to help you. If your parents do not give permission for you to be there, a youth shelter will likely be a short-term solution before being returned home. If you do not feel safe at home and you need somewhere to go, you can contact the national safe place for help. All you have to do is text "safe" and your current address to 44357 for the nearest safe place.
          We can best be of help by phone or chat if you want to talk more about what is going on and explore your options. Please do not hesitate to reach out at 1-800-786-2929 or use our online chat services at 1800runaway.org.

Hi i'm 15 years old and have a 3 year old son. I live in Detroit,Michigan and I have nowhere to go can you please help me ?

Comment

• ccsmod10
          ccsmod10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. If you’re feeling unsafe and need a safe place to go and talk to someone, you may wish to visit The National Safeplace website (www.nationalsafeplace.org). This organization provides access to immediate help and supportive resources for youth in need. You can look up your city and state to see if there are any safe places near you listed. So that is always an option if you feel like talking to someone in person about what has been going on or if you just need of a safe place to stay.

You also may use your phone to text the word “safe” and your current location (city/state/zip) to 44357. If there are safe places and shelters nearby, a list of those will be sent to your phone and you may have the option to text back and forth with a trained counselor as well.

Be safe,
          NRS

I’m 15 yrs old and may need to stay in a shelter near Lynnwood here sometime soon.. I just don’t know where to go or how I should go about it. Family is becoming drastically unstable to be be apart of & I need a way out of this complete mess. PLEASE inform me with ANYTHING that could help

Comment

• ccsmod13
          ccsmod13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thanks for contacting NRS and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you with figuring out your next steps in this difficult situation. Asking for help was really responsible and smart of you. We are sorry to hear things are so unstable at home. You deserve to live somewhere that makes you feel safe and supported.

We are here 24/7 to listen and help. If you feel like leaving is the right decision for you, we can connect you with youth shelters in your area. You can also contact the National Safe place for somewhere safe to go. All you have to do is text "safe" and your current location to 44357 for the nearest safe place. From there you can be brought to a youth shelter which generally have caseworkers that can help you come up with a short term and long term plan.

We are available 24/7 to support you and connect you with resources. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

We hope to hear from you soon.
          NRS

i want to run away from home and go to a homeless shelter i'm 13 if i went to a homeless shelter then would they call my parents and force me back home? also i don't want to have to leave my dog behind because i could never leave her with them would i be able to take her to a homeless shelter with me?

Comment

• ccsmod13
          ccsmod13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We understand it takes great courage to reach out.

Going to a homeless shelter is typically a short-term solution and many shelters require contact with parents if you’re under 18. Each shelter has different protocols and procedures. There are very few shelters that allow pets, but again it depends on the specific shelter’s rules.

We’re here to support you in figuring out what your next steps are. If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you including shelters in your area, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re available 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

We wish you the best of luck!
          NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X