X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Just Curious

Hi, I am 15 years old and I live with my mother who is a single mother and my 12-year-old brother. I haven't thought about running away, but if I ever did, I just wanted to know something. when a teen turns 18 years old, are they still considered a teen or do they officially become an adult at 18 years old? I just wanted to know because if things get really difficult where and I wanted to run away I live I just wanted to know for future's sake.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be scary having your living situation be so uncertain since your mom keeps threatening you. If you'd like, you can always check out the National Homeless Shelter Directory by going to https://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/ to see if there are any shelters or transitional programs near you (or in NYC).

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm a 19 year old with a 2 year old son, my mom repeatedly threaten me to kick me out, I live in NJ, I want to go to a NYC shelter but I don't know where. I want to start on my own, I'm unemployed, I'm honestly confused on what to do.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hi there,
    Thank you for reaching out to NRS – we are here to help you. It sounds like you are in a tough situation at home -- you are brave for reaching out for assistance. You should be proud of yourself for staying in school and getting a job – that shows a lot of responsibility.
    There may be transitional housing opportunities available in your area. If you call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or begin a chat with us from 1800RUNAWAY.ORG, we will be happy to help you find specific transitional housing locations in your area. Some transitional housing locations can also help you with school, as well as job opportunities. NRS is open 24/7 and we are confidential, so we are always here to help you. If you call or start a chat online with us, we can also call your parents (with your permission, of course) and have a conference call with them about alternative housing opportunities for you.
    We are proud of you for reaching out to NRS, and we are here to help!

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline we are here to help and here to listen. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation. We are not legal experts but we do have some general knowledge of the laws. If you were to run away your dad does have the right to file a runaway report. If the police were to find you they would most likely bring you back home. We cannot guarantee a place that will keep you safe from cops. You could try to look into shelter options but because of your age they may call your parents or the police.
    Running away is a big decision and your safety is our top concern. If you do not feel safe at home one option you could consider is talking to your school counselor. Sometimes talking to a professional can help us feel better and they may be able to provide you with resources. Also you always have the right to call the police if you feel that you are in danger. We can help you explore more option or help you make a safe plan if you give us a call.
    We hope this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore your options please give us a call. We are here 24/7 to listen and to provide support to you. We wish you the best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I am 16 years old and I just want a place to stay because I am having lots of issues with my parents and I am tired of everything. I don't want to be at home because my mom said she would take me to foster care if I go back home and I don't want that for me. I have made my parents really disappointed on me because I would lie to them when they would ask me where I was and I would tell them that I was in a different place when I actually was not. I know that what I have done in the past is wrong and I am really sorry for everything I have done and I am taking a therapist so they could help me out. I just need a place to stay for now. I am planning to stay there and still go to school and graduate from high school and then get a job so I could pay for my stuff. I know this would be hard to do but with the support of you guys and my friends I could do it because everything is possible no matter what the challenge is. I also wanted to say that if I stay here I don't want to go back home I don't want to make my parents madder. Will I still be able to go to school? If I stay here can I still get a job? Will you guys talk to my parents if I want to stay here than rather being in my house? I really want to go to school to have a better life.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I’m thinking about running away to get away from my dad I’m 13 but he will call the cops is there any place I can go to be safe from cops

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are looking to talk to folks in homeless shelters. Generally, yes, shelters would probably turn you away from just going in and talking. However, shelters often have volunteer opportunities where you might be able to talk to folks. So you might call the shelter you were thinking about and ask if there are volunteer opportunities.

Thanks for caring about others!

-NRS

Guest replied
    At a homeless shelter if you're under 18 years of age, are you allowed to go inside and talk to the homeless? Not to be rude but so they have someone to talk to or would you get told not to be in there?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi. Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a really tough time getting kicked out of your home. That seems really stressful. We are here to help!
    From what we know about New York, all youth 17 and under go through the Administration of Child Services and they can give you referrals: 1-877-KIDSNYC. you can also find more information at this website: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dycd/servi...ess-youth.page.

We are also 24/7 here at NRS and always here to help! Call anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or live chat us through our website for more information!

Best of luck!

Guest replied
    Hi, im from nyc im looking for a place to stay im 16 years old. My name is Gigi and i need help . My family kick me out of the house now im suffering

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Reply: I’m 17 but I wanna run away

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. If you’re feeling unsafe and need a safe place to go and talk to someone, you may wish to visit

The National Safeplace website (www.nationalsafeplace.org). This organization provides access to immediate help and supportive resources for youth in need.
    You can look up your city and state to see if there are any safe places near you listed. So that is always an option if you feel like talking to someone in person about what has been going on or if you just need of a safe place to stay.
    You also may use your phone to text the word “safe” and your current location (city/state/zip) to 69866.
    If there are safe places and shelters nearby, a list of those will be sent to your phone and you may have the option to text back and forth with a trained counselor as well.

Be safe,
    NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I’m 17 but I wanna run away I feel unsafe here but I wanna go somewhere where I feel safe but my mother won’t let me leave if I run away will a shelter accept me without a parent consent

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod7
    Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like you are in a rough spot and looking to get into a shelter to get on your feet. Here at NRS, we truly want to help during this difficult time.

For emergency adult shelters you do usually need identification. To search for adult emergency shelters near you, you might look at www.homelessshelterdirectory.org.

You mentioned wanting somewhere where you can stay until you get on your feet. There are housing programs called transitional living programs (TLPs) to help older youth and young adults get on their feet and work on their individual skills. If you are interested in seeing if there are any TLPs in your area, please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us at www.1800runaway.org so we can look for local resources for you.

We hope this information is helpful. Please call or chat us if you need any additional help.

Best,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I'm 18 turning 19 soon and I was wondering how to get myself into a shelter to get on me feet. Do I need identification? I have all my documents so... I'm not sure what to do.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X