Collapse
No announcement yet.

rules for homeless shelter

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am 15 and want to run away with my girlfriend because we both have bad living situations I want us to go to a homeless shelter but I don’t know what kind of paper work they ask for and don’t want to get sent back home. What paperwork do we need?

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi.
      Thank you for reaching out to us. It’s great that you’re thinking of how you can help not only yourself but your girlfriend as well. And we’re sorry to hear you’re both having difficult times at home.

Running away can be hard and it can be helpful to think about where you might stay and how you might pay for food, rent and other living expenses.
      Going to a homeless shelter is typically a short-term solution and many shelters require contact with parents if you’re under 18. While we are not legal experts speaking generally if you are to leave home without your parents permission the police can bring you back home and whoever you stay with could be charged with harboring a runaway. Before looking into the shelter process, you may have other options we’d be happy to discuss with you. You could give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us at 1800runaway.org so we can talk more about what’s going on. Depending on where you live and what’s going on at home we can discuss available options.
      We’re here to support you 24/7 with whatever decision you make so you feel safe and feel like you have a plan to create a better situation.

Best
      -NRS

Hi I'm trying to find out information. I have a close friend she's 15 and she has a child, she's also a foster child. She left from her home because she was getting abused and her foster mom wasn't buying her anything no food and no cloths. What should I tell her? Do you have shelters for teenage mothers?

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, thank you so much for reaching out.

It sounds like your friend is going through a really tough time right now and its really great she has someone like you looking out for her. You can always pass along our number to your friend and we would also be happy to explore shelter options with you as well. There are shelters for parenting teens, but there is no guarantee that there will be such a shelter in your friend's area. We would be happy to look up resources and referrals for your friend at anytime.

We're available 24/7 at 1800RUNAWAY.

Um hi im 14 years old and from new jersey and I have no idea where to go if i do run away from home

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,
      We’re glad you’ve reached out, we’re here to listen and here to help. You said you don’t know where to go if you run away, but we’d like to know more about what’s going on that you might want to run away. Your safety and wellbeing is important, and we want to make sure you’re in a safe space. If you wanted to talk to someone live about what’s going on we’re here 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We also have an online chat option if you’d rather talk that way: www.1800runaway.org.

Hi I'm 16 and I quit school for multiple reasons but I plan on getting my GED. Well my parents are divorced and my dad just kicked me out, and my mother is currently homeless but staying with friends now and then we'll she decided she doesnt want anything to do with me and I have no relatives that will allow me to stay with them I'm from Idaho and i dont know what to do at this point.

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing a little bit about what is going. It takes a lot of courage to reach out and especially in a time where you have a really tough and complex situation. One of our main goals is to make sure you are safe, so if you need shelter, resources, or a safe place to go you can find safe locations at nationalsafeplace.org or reach out to us directly and we can find local resources in your area.

If you call in to 1-800-RUNAWAY we could can discuss more in detail how we can best support you through this situation. Stay strong! You are not alone in this and we are here 24/7.

-NRS

I am 17 years old and my mom kicked me out and than moved and I don't know where she is and I think I am pragnat and cant get medical care with out an ID and I cant get an ID with out my parents what do I do

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, thanks for reaching out to NRS we are sorry to hear about your situation. It might be a good idea to speak with hospital staff or even calling the local non-emergency number to get some answers from as they pertain to legal documentation because we are not legal aid. We hope you are able to find the solution to your problem as quickly as possible

I'm about to be 18 on Feb. 23rd. I don't have an identification. when i turn 18 can i leave the house and live in a homeless shelter

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there, thanks for reaching out today with this question. It is smart of you to plan things out.

Generally, there are different rules for youth and adult shelters. We are happy to talk through them, please keep in mind that each shelter has different protocols and procedures. Youth shelters are for youth 12-17 and they do not usually require documentation. Adult shelters are 18+ and usually do require some sort of documentation. To look for local adult resources you can always call 2-1-1 to see what is in your area. There are also transitional living programs (TLPs) or longer stay shelters to help older youth get on their feet. TLPs are usually for folks between the age of 18-21, however some programs can help people between 16-24. It helps to have your ID, but it is not usually a requirement. If you would like us to look up local transitional living programs or youth shelters please do not hesitate to call or chat us. We are always here for you: 1-800-RUNAWAY; www.1800runaway.org.

We look forward to hearing from you and we wish you the best,

NRS

im 13, and i want to know what are my options for running away. i don't want to ever get in contact with my family again, i don't have an id and i don't know how to get it when im 18 if my family reports me missing, i don't have a way to get money nor do i have any (although my dad does sometimes send some approx. $300 if my mother forces him too) and i don't want to travel alone. This is the only option for me. I'm already living in poverty and my mom has another kid on the way. I have an abusive stepdad who has no regard even for his own kids. I can't take them with me because they are between the ages of 3-7 and the one on the way needs my mom. please help, i need to leave ASAP.

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your mom's permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your mom. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Hello there. I believe I’ve commented before here, actually it was more of a reply. But I’m going to run away, it was either running away or suicide, but life can give surprises, and It can be beautiful sometimes, so I gave it one last try. Running away. There’s no going back now, I’ve made up my mind. I’m 14 years of age and I will run away in a few weeks, I’m simply going back in forth on what I’m taking and who’s coming with me. It’ll be a long journey. And it can the stupidest thing I’ve ever done but I can’t stay home with my arms crossed no longer. Some problems are better yet left off unsolved.

I live in San anotonio tx. Do you have any advice?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that life at home has gotten to the point where you feel fed up enough to leave. It shows a lot of maturity that you were willing to put in the extra work to give home another shot and it is frustrating that despite your effort, things have not improved.

Here at the NRS, we highlight and prioritize youth safety no matter what you are planning. When it comes to running away, in particular, long term security and safety are often overlooked. Some things that reduce the dangers of running away are having stable shelter and consistent access to food and water. Budgeting is another key skill that can help you survive and stay safe on your journey. This can look like understanding how much money you need to survive each day and planning accordingly. Additionally, it would be wise to have a plan B if things do not go the way you expect them to go or if you find yourself in a dangerous or inappropriate situation. That can look like always having a cellphone so that you can call the police or making sure that you always have enough money to get a bus ticket home.

Of course, there are many other considerations that you may want to make. If you want to talk more in depth about your situation and go through what other things you might want to think about in planning to leave, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or on chat at 1800runaway.org.

I'm 17 I live in azusa California but I'm a runaway from my group home because all those kids wanted to fight me and I'm trying to get some sleep somewhere else besides my group home and I'm confused because I don't know where to go

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe, NRS

Hi I'm 18 turning 19 soon and I was wondering how to get myself into a shelter to get on me feet. Do I need identification? I have all my documents so... I'm not sure what to do.

Comment

• ccsmod7
      ccsmod7 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

Sounds like you are in a rough spot and looking to get into a shelter to get on your feet. Here at NRS, we truly want to help during this difficult time.

For emergency adult shelters you do usually need identification. To search for adult emergency shelters near you, you might look at www.homelessshelterdirectory.org.

You mentioned wanting somewhere where you can stay until you get on your feet. There are housing programs called transitional living programs (TLPs) to help older youth and young adults get on their feet and work on their individual skills. If you are interested in seeing if there are any TLPs in your area, please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us at www.1800runaway.org so we can look for local resources for you.

We hope this information is helpful. Please call or chat us if you need any additional help.

Best,

NRS

I’m 17 but I wanna run away I feel unsafe here but I wanna go somewhere where I feel safe but my mother won’t let me leave if I run away will a shelter accept me without a parent consent

Comment

Reply: I’m 17 but I wanna run away

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. If you’re feeling unsafe and need a safe place to go and talk to someone, you may wish to visit

The National Safeplace website (www.nationalsafeplace.org). This organization provides access to immediate help and supportive resources for youth in need.
      You can look up your city and state to see if there are any safe places near you listed. So that is always an option if you feel like talking to someone in person about what has been going on or if you just need of a safe place to stay.
      You also may use your phone to text the word “safe” and your current location (city/state/zip) to 69866.
      If there are safe places and shelters nearby, a list of those will be sent to your phone and you may have the option to text back and forth with a trained counselor as well.

Be safe,
      NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: Your Opinion Matters to Us

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi, im from nyc im looking for a place to stay im 16 years old. My name is Gigi and i need help . My family kick me out of the house now im suffering

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi. Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a really tough time getting kicked out of your home. That seems really stressful. We are here to help!
          From what we know about New York, all youth 17 and under go through the Administration of Child Services and they can give you referrals: 1-877-KIDSNYC. you can also find more information at this website: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dycd/servi...ess-youth.page.

We are also 24/7 here at NRS and always here to help! Call anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or live chat us through our website for more information!

Best of luck!

At a homeless shelter if you're under 18 years of age, are you allowed to go inside and talk to the homeless? Not to be rude but so they have someone to talk to or would you get told not to be in there?

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you are looking to talk to folks in homeless shelters. Generally, yes, shelters would probably turn you away from just going in and talking. However, shelters often have volunteer opportunities where you might be able to talk to folks. So you might call the shelter you were thinking about and ask if there are volunteer opportunities.

Thanks for caring about others!

-NRS
      Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X