Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I'm 11 and my sister is so controlling over life and my mom helps her I just wanna run away and not go into foster care

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS. Age requirements can differ for different shelters. If you are under the age of 18, there are youth shelters available to help if you do not feel safe at home. Youth shelters generally have social workers who are there to help you. If your parents If your parents do not give permission for you to be there, a youth shelter will likely be a short-term solution before being returned home. If you do not feel safe at home and you need somewhere to go, you can contact the national safe place for help. All you have to do is text "safe" and your current address to 44357 for the nearest safe place.

If you are 18 or over, you can find shelters in your area by going to www.homelessshelterdirectory.org. At 18 you can decide where you want to live and your parents would not need to give permission for you to be at a shelter.

We can best be of help by phone or chat if you want to talk more about what is going on and explore your options. Please do not hesitate to reach out at 1-800-786-2929 or use our online chat services at 1800runaway.org.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    How old do you have to be to go to a shelter ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    replied
    Hi, I am 18 years old i live in New York the Bronx

Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. Since you are 21 you can seek services from an adult shelter in your area. For referrals, call 311 (in NYC) or 212- 639-9675

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hi I am 18 years old I live in New York the Bronx and my mother has recently kicked me out my house and i don’t have a place to live. I was wondering if I would be able to get into a homeless shelter and F.I.Y. I was already in like 2 years with my mom and my brothers but I was wondering now can I do it by myself or with my boyfriend and can we get the same help to have our own apartment later in the future
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 08-28-2019, 02:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, and we understand it takes courage to reach out for help. The National Runaway Safeline is located in the United States of America (USA). Our knowledge of helpful community based resources and our understanding of youth in crisis related laws is limited to the USA. You may want to check out http://www.kidshelp.com.au/ as they may be of better assistance.

We hope that by reaching out to a local resource, you are able to get the support you need from an organization that understands the laws and circumstances that affect youth in your country.

Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi, I live in Australia and planning on running away soon. I want to stay at a shelter. Will the shelter or police inform my parents about my whereabouts if I tell them not to? (I'm 15)

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS! From what you shared, it sounds like you are currently staying with your aunt, but she has not been making living with her a supportive situation. You deserve to feel safe and comfortable at home, so it is not okay that your aunt is not providing for you in that way. It is understandable you would not want to go back to a placement or juvenile detention. It appears that you are still a ward of the state which means it is most likely up to your caseworker to approve where you stay. If there is long-term youth shelter or housing program you would like to go, then talking to your caseworker about it would be a good idea. If you are not sure where you would like to go, we are available 24/7 by phone (1-800-786-2929) or chat (1800runaway.org) to talk with you about your options and help connect you with youth agencies.

Please do not hesitate to reach out by phone or chat anytime. We are here to help you as best we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi iam 14 turning 15 in December Iam a foster child I live with my aunt but I cant deal wit it anymore its not for me and I dont want to go back in to a placement or juvenile detention center so I was wondering if I can have my dhhs worker bring me there

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    Hello There,
    Thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a really difficult time right now. Unfortunately we are based in the United States, and we do not have resources in Canada.
    Take Care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 15 going to be 16 at the end of the year and have a four month old baby they want me out of the house but have care giver of my son till I turn 16 I have contacted many people and no one has a place for me to go I need somewhere ASAP I live in Ajax Ontario

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out. It’s important to consider all the possibilities that can occur if you leave home. You will need to plan out how you will cover basic necessities like travel, food, clothing, etc. If you have a place to go in mind, it’s good to see what the expectations of the living arrangement will be like; rules, the amount of time you’re allowed to stay, if you’re expected to contribute financially, etc. If you are planning on staying in a shelter it's good to know that often times shelters can be gender-specific, so if you and your boyfriend identify as different genders you may not be able to stay in the same place. Living on your own can also bring about many safety risks. You will need to consider ways that you can protect yourself from physical harm as well as the possibility of exploitation. This can all influence your decision to leave.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

Stay safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Me and my boyfriend want to runaway with each other cause we can’t take it at home where is a good place to go

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello and thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. If you are 18 in the state of New York, you are legally an adult and have the right to decide where you live. You also have the right to enroll in school without a guardian’s consent. If you are still in school, it would be unlikely that you would have to re-enroll. While we are not legal experts, it is our understanding that you could move out from your dad’s place if you wanted to. If you want to talk about how to go about doing that or if you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to give us a call on our 24/7 hotline 1-800-786-2929 or chat us at 1800runaway.org.

Take care,
    NRS

Guest replied
    I’m 18 and I don’t want to live with my dad but I am still in school what do I do I’m living in Bronx New York

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X