No announcement yet.

rules for homeless shelter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do not feel safe at home. I’m turning 17 this August on the 2nd. I want to leave this house for multiple reasons. I live in Vegas and want to go to Cali where other family members are. But because of court issues I can’t be with them til I’m 18. At 17 I wanted to know if the police will take me back home if I tell them exactly what’s going on. There has been abuse in the past by my father and sister. If I can’t get help I don’t want to be stuck with nothing. Reguardless I need to leave at 17

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. It takes a lot of courage to seek help. We are sorry to hear that you don't feel safe at home. Abuse is never okay, and you don't deserve to be treated that way. If you feel as though you are in immediate danger, we encourage you to contact the police. You have the right to report the abuse. You could contact Child Protective Services, or the police to let them know you don't feel safe at home. They would conduct an investigation and if they determine that your home environment is not safe, they would remove you from your home. You could also contact Child Help (1-800-422-4453) to explore your options and to get information on how to transfer custody. We hope that this information helps, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929).

Hi, I have a friend who is 16 and is being abused by both of her parents. She has no-one to take care of her and she doesn’t want to take her parents to court, she just wants to escape. But if she’s 16, how can she?

Comment

• ccsmod11
      ccsmod11 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us on behalf of your friend. We’re glad your friend has someone like you for support during rough circumstances like these. We hope she knows that she does not deserve to be enduring abuse, and invite you to pass along our number so she can get some direct help. We could try to see if shelters exist in her area for runaway youth, and if such shelters would have to reach out to child protective services or the police in order to house her. We also could brainstorm other places to stay. She can call us at 1-800-786-2929, or use our live chat, which can be found through 1800runaway.org.

Best,
      NRS

My girlfriend is 18 and looking for a place to stay because her parents kicked her out and notetting her go back , what are her options besides a homless shelter

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thanks for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and your concern for your girlfriend’s safety. It may be good to talk through family or friends that she could potentially stay with. It may be hard to ask for help, but we can’t get through life without support. It may be good to talk with her about goals, needs, and hopes to then set some expectations for herself, so when she talks to people about living with them, that they know a timeframe for their support and talking with them about their expectations out of respect.
      One thing that may be a little different from a homeless shelter is a transitional living program, which has more supportive programming for people your girlfriend’s age. One place to look is homelessshelterdirectory.org, or calling 211 from a phone for local resources or calling into us at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can look to see what resources we have available in her area for support. Again, thanks for reaching out on behalf of your girlfriend.
      We are here 24/7 and best of luck!
      -NRS

Hi I’m asking for a 16 yr old my daughter boyfriend his mother husband hits him so he left with his father moved to Kentucky and they are living in a car and it is hot there and now his dad called his mom if she wanted him back and she said no and know talking about putting him on a bus to Mississippi to his brother who is a drug attic so he was wondering if it was legal to stay in a shelter without any of them

Comment

• ccsmod8
      ccsmod8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there –

Thank you so much for reaching out to use here at the National Runaway Safeline and posting on our public forum. By helping you during your crisis, hopefully there are other youth that are in similar situations can read this for help as well.

To answer your question, there are different types of shelter resources that are available to youth that find themselves without a stable living environment and/or have ran away from home and no longer have a place to go. Now there are basic centers that youth under the age of 18 are usually able walk-in and receive basic needs (ie. Food, clothing, medical care, etc).They also have crisis intervention methods to figure out what their main issue is and how to best help them once the center closes for the day. The other type of shelter is usually referred to as a TLP (Transitional Living Program) which serves youth 16 to 22 year old. Sometimes they start a little older at 18, but that just depends on their specific program. It is a longer term program that aims to help youth gain independence once they leave the shelter. Just know that not all cities have these types of programs so you might have to reach out to different agencies that can tell you more about what they can do for homeless and/or runaway youth.

One thing to note is that since the youth we are writing about is a minor still, some shelter’s and basic centers require the consent of their parent or government agency (if youth is a ward) in order to receive services. That can happen right away when doing intake or within 24 hours of the youth staying there. So depending on who the legal guardian is and how they feel about youth going to a shelter, might limit the resources that he can access on his own.

Hi i'm 16 years old. I live with my grandma who emotionally abuses me. My brother said if I runaway I can stay with him, but I want to get out of here. But i'm only scared i'll be sent back even if i'm with someone I feel safe and trust.

Comment

Hi I'm 16 and live in mesa,Az. And I'm most likely going to run away I don't want to tell you why but where should I go and do I need any documents?

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. We are here 24/7 to listen and to support.

We are not legal experts, but we can tell you that because you are 16 and a minor, if you leave home and your guardian files a runaway report, you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a runaway. If you want a liner to help you walk through other options like us mediating a conference call between you and your guardian, thinking through possible adults that you could turn to or could advocate for you, or things like emancipation and legal aid numbers, don't hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best,

NRS
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Im 17 and have heavily considered running away from my house in Michigan. My girlfriend is in texas, my best friend is also in Texas and is 22, i have a friend in the UK who gets money for his health reasons but gets more then he needs and is willing to give me and my girlfriend money if i went there. I know its illegal for her parents to help me as i am a minor, but is there anything i could do to be with her and get out of the situation im in right now? My mom doesnt speak to me and wont.help me get a job, and her bf has threatened to quote, "ruin my life and destroy everything i care about" and has also threatened to quote, "put his hands on me but not leave any bruises". He has also abused my.mom and i called the cops and he was arrested which is when he started being.so hateful towards me.

Comment

• ccsmod11
            ccsmod11 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you're in a rough spot. We're glad you reached out.

You never deserve to be hit or abused in any way by any family member - you also shouldn't be receiving threats by family members. This is not okay and we can talk to you about what options you have to navigate this situation if you call us at 1-800-786-2929. We are able, for instance, to file abuse reports to child protective services.

We are not legal experts, but we can give you general information. In Michigan, when we have called police about runaways, they have informed us they do not investigate runaway reports filed on 17 year olds. However, in Texas, runaway youth may be subject to arrest, which is something you may want to keep in mind. If you are interested in going to the UK, we are unfamiliar with all laws pertaining to runaways in that country.

Best,
            NRS

Hi I am 15 I will be 16 in October I live in Maryland I don't have a place to stay and i want to finish my school my birth certificate and passport everything is with my parents so my quotation is do I need have it with me or they can give me if police or anything ask them.I am so worried.

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, thank you so much for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.

It sounds like you’re going through a really difficult situation. Because you’re under 18, your parents have the right to keep your vital documents like your birth certificate and passport with them. You can definitely ask for them if you think you need them, but your parents don’t have to give them to you. We’re not quite sure what your situation is, like if you’re on the streets or staying somewhere, and why police would ask you for your birth certificate or passport. If you need more help or have more questions, please call us anytime at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us online.

Best of luck with everything,

NRS

Hi there I am a 19yr old female and I wanted to move out and get my own place I would like to move into a shelter soon as possible things at home are very difficult they want me to have a job and my own place what do I do please help

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello and thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

Living at home can be tough, especially when we rely on a place to live from people we may not get along with. While you don’t mention why things at home are very difficult, we want you to know the National Runaway Safeline is here to support you. We can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

We can certainly try to help you find a shelter in your area. If you call in, we could explore your situation to see if services are needed (domestic abuse, LGBTQ issues, etc) and search the city/state you request. Sometimes there are agencies called ‘TLP’s, which stands for Transitional Living Programs. These programs are more geared toward helping people get back up on their feet (with employment, education, life skills, etc.) instead of just providing a place to stay. Again, if you call in, we could certainly see if these services exist in your area.

Options you can explore on your own would be dialing 311, which should bring you to your local directory assistance (you could indicate you’re an adult looking for a shelter). You could also explore www.homelessshelterdirectory.org.

Thank you again for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We hope you feel comfortable to call in, as we look forward to helping in any way we can.

Stay safe,

NRS

i ran away for the third time, if i go to a youth shelter will my parents be contacted, i am 16

Comment

• ccsmod7
            ccsmod7 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there, sounds like you have gone through a lot living at home, and this is your third time running away. Here at NRS we truly want to be a support for you during this time.

Youth shelters do typically need to contact your parents or authorities to let them know you are safe, it just depends on each shelter's individual protocols though. Sometimes shelters have a grace period before they have to tell folks where you are. Some shelters require parental permission; while others just need to let your parents know you are there.

If you call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY, we can look for runaway shelters in your area. If there are any nearby we can call out to them with you confidentially to see what their protocol is with whether or not they need to contact your parents.

You are not alone and we are here for you.

Best,

NRS

Hello I’m 11 and I want to run away.

Comment

• ccsmod3
            ccsmod3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We are here to try to provide support and resources. Everyone’s situation is different, but if you were to give us a call or chat we would be able to better explore your situation. While running away isn’t a crime, it can result in your legal guardians filing a runaway report. This would mean that if you were to encounter law enforcement, they would legally have to return you home.
            You can always give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY- we are 27/7 and here for you.
            Best of Luck,
            NRS

I am wondering if there are any shelters that don't require contacting parents or guardians

Comment

• ccsmod5
            ccsmod5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi,
            To our knowledge, most shelters will need to reach out to parents or guardians. To find out more information, you may need to contact a shelter directly. Feel free to give us a call if you need any shelter resources.
            Take care,
            NRS

I'm 16. And I live with my grandma. But she makes fun of my mom and hurts me emotionally. I even became suicidal because of it. I wanted to go to a runaway shelter but since I'm underage.can I stay there. I'm 16 about to turn 17 on March. I live in Illinois. But I can't deal with my grandma anymore and my brother also emotionally abuses me.

Comment

• ccsmod9
            ccsmod9 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,
            Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you’re quite overwhelmed by things at home right now and you mentioned being harmed. We’re sorry you’re going through this. You don't deserve to be hurt in any way. If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately. You may also be able to report any mistreatment to CPS. Child Help USA 1-800-422-4453 www.childhelp.org is an organization that helps protect minors from being harmed. It may also be a good place to explore options for staying with another family member or someone you trust as far as transferring custody.
            Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
            If you would like to talk more in detail please chat soon through our website www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button) if you are unable to call in. We unfortunately cannot give advice as we are non-directive. You know your situation best
            We hope to hear from you soon.
            Be safe,
            NRS

I'm 15 and I am planning on running away on Saturday at Night with my 9-year-old brother. We are both getting verbally and emotionally abused. I live in Maine and I am planning on running away to New Jersey. Is their any homeless shelters.

Comment

• ccsmod10
            ccsmod10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS!

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It seems like there must be a lot going on in your life, especially at home, if you’re thinking about leaving home. It’s great that you were able to find out some information about our hotline. Hopefully we can help.

Abuse is never okay, neither you nor your brother deserve to be treated that way. It’s understandable that you want to get you and him out of that environment. We have a database of resources and if you’re able to call or chat with us, we can look to see if there’s shelters in your area.

Our safeline is open 24/7. We also have a chatting service via our website, if you’re not comfortable talking on the phone. The best way to contact us would be to call in and talk with our trained liners.

Be well, NRS
        Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X