No announcement yet.

I'm 17, can I leave ?

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm 17, can I leave ?

    I'm currently in California and I want to leave my house . I had an incident with my moms boyfriend that escalated in me reporting him to the police for molestation , a year passes and my mom is still seeing him and it fustrates the hell out of me like how can someone be that dumb ?! But anyways I read their text messages and once I turn 18 she wants to push me to get out so that they can be together . I'd rather leave now honestly I can move in with my boyfriend , the only problem is I don't wanna leave while I'm 17 and her try to call the cops on me and charge me as a runaway . Is there some way to work around this ? Iv tried getting amancipated before but it didn't work out so what should I do ?

  • #2

    Thanks for reaching out to us. We are so sorry to hear about the incident with your mom’s boyfriend. It’s never ok for someone to behave in a way that makes you feel unsafe, and it sounds like your mom hasn’t taken your concerns to heart and made changes in order to keep you safe. You’ve asked some important questions about moving out at the age of 17 and, although we’re not legal experts, we will do our best to share information that might be helpful.

    If you’re currently living with your mom and your safety is still in question, please know that you have the right to report molestation or abuse to your local child protective agency if it happens again. You have the right to report even if the first report did not result in your removal from your home, especially if your mom’s boyfriend continues to behave inappropriately with you. It sounds like you’ve reported in the past, but if you need help finding your local agency, you’re welcome to contact Child Help at 1.800.422.4453 and they can connect you to the nearest child protective services agency near you. Beyond making a report, if you decide to leave home without parental consent, your legal guardian would still be able to file a runaway report. Running away isn’t technically illegal, although it is considered a status offense in many states. How your local police department handles runaway reports depends on where you live. There have been reports that some police departments either won’t take the report, or will take the report and not take action because the youth is so close to being a legal adult. The best way to find out if this is the case in your area is to reach out to your local police department and ask. If you don’t have their contact information, please feel free to contact us and we can help you find that information.

    If you’ve spoken with someone familiar with the laws in your state before to explore emancipation, perhaps reaching out to that resource again to find out what other legal options are available might be helpful. Additionally, they may also be able to give you some insight into how runaway reports might work in your area. Regardless of what you decide to do, know that we are here to support you and help you stay as safe as possible. Please know that you are welcome to reach out to us at any time. We are available 24/7 at 1.800.RUNWAY (786.2929), every day from 4:30pm – 11:30pm CST via chat. We’re here to listen, here to help. Stay safe!

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove