Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 16 and pregnant and want to move out, can I?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod13
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to NRS and sharing your situation. It sounds like things are difficult at home and it makes sense that you would look for other living options.

We're not legal experts here, but since the age of majority is 18 in Florida, your parents are legally responsible until then. Of course, it is important that you feel that you live in a safe environment with the emotional and physical resources you need to succeed. One option is to live with your boyfriend’s family. If his family agrees, and your parents agree, you can live with them, but some legal proceedings may be required to ensure that you can enroll in school or get medical care when you need it. If interested in legal help, we are happy to provide a legal aid resource to you if you contact us directly by phone or live chat. Legal aid can often provide free or low cost advice and legal services.

Another option is emancipation. Since you are 16, you can petition for emancipation if you can prove that you are able to financially support and take care of yourself and your baby. Legal aid can also help you with this process if you are interested.

NRS is here 24/7 and entirely anonymous and confidential if you would like to discuss your options as well as receive any additional referrals and resources. We can be reached at 1-800-786-2929 or via our online chat services at www.1800runaway.org.

Best of luck,
    National Runaway Safeline

Guest replied
    I live in Florida and I just found out I’m pregnant between Im 16 year’s old I just don’t feel comfortable living in a household with my family because of the way they treat me and they always threaten to kick me out if I ever get pregnant but I just wanted to know if I would able to stay with my soon to be baby father his families are more supportive and a caring family he’s also a minor but we chose to have the baby

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes a great deal of courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and it is understandable to look for some assistance.

What you are describing does not sound like a healthy environment and it could even be considered gross parental neglect, which is a form of abuse. If you would like to make an abuse report about what is going on that is your right. You can do that through us or through www.childhelp.org (1-800-422-4453).

If you’re feeling unsafe and need a safe place to go and talk to someone, you may wish to visit The National Safeplace website (www.nationalsafeplace.org). This organization provides access to immediate help and supportive resources for youth in need. You can look up your city and state to see if there are any safe places near you listed. So that is always an option if you feel like talking to someone in person about what has been going on or if you just need of a safe place to stay. You can also use their TXT 4 HELP free service offered to all youth in crisis. It’s quick, easy, safe, and confidential:

·         Text the word “safe” and your current location (address, city, state) to 69866

·         Within seconds, you will receive a message with the closest Safe Place site and phone number for the local youth agency.

TLP’s (Transitional Living Programs) and shelters could also be a resource that would be helpful to you during this time. We are here as support to help through this challenging time and could discuss further details by phone or chat. If this is something you would be interested in please contact us soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,

NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 07-18-2021, 08:58 PM.

Guest replied
    I'm 17 im also pregnant. Im living with my adoptive parents but there house is really dirty and smells like urine amonia from all of there pets. Theres feces everywhere and nastiness all over the house. I don't want to bring a kid into this house because I'm worried about it getting taken. Emancipation isn't a thing where I'm located and I don't know what else to do. I don't want my baby taken but I really don't know what to do ill be 18 2 months after its born. I could also get really sick and so could my baby because of the condition of the house

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hello There,
    Thank you for reaching out to The National Runaway Safeline, we are here to help and here to listen. It takes great courage to reach out for help, and we are glad that you have decided to reach out to us. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time and we want you to know that you are not alone.
    If you have permission from you mother to move in with your aunt and grandpa, you would want to get something in writing, and with their signatures, if not you might be considered a runaway. As long as your mother approves of the move, everything else should be fine. In regards to getting pregnant, do you believe that is the best decision for you? Being a teen mom is not easy and potentially can be harder on you, especially if you do not have the support from either of your parents. It might be worth exploring your choices with those you trust like your aunt, and grandpa, so you’ll have a better outcome.
    We hope that this information will be helpful to you in your situation. If you have any other questions or would like to explore more options please give us a call. We are available to you 24/7 to listen and to provide support through this challenging time.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button). If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    Best of luck!
    NRS

Guest replied
    hi.. i was just googling info & i came across this website.. i talked to my grandpa & aunt about going to live with them & that my moms house is toxic. i just moved from my dads a year & a half ago to my moms because his wife lied on me & would hit me..but now my mom does nothing but drink & act erratically & i’m willing to do anything to get away. but i’m tired of moving & want to settle down once & for all because i’ve always gone back & forth with my mom & dad because i couldn’t live with family because my dad had temporary custody. so now i feel living with my aunt & grandpa would be way better because they’ve never hurt me in any way. i’m so willing to leave i’ll get pregnant to make sure neither parent wants me & will leave me alone at my grandparents. if i got pregnant - (i know you’re not supporting this decision but i still would like feedback)- & moved to my aunts or papas without telling my mom or dad til i got there that it’s because i’m pregnant, would i still be able to see my boyfriend & be left alone & not taken back to my toxic parents ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod9
    Hello there. We are glad you reached out to the National Runaway Safeline forums. From what you have told us, it sounds like you are dealing with a lot right now. It is understandable to feel overwhelmed by the pressure you are under. No one deserves to feel like their mental health is being put at risk. I am hearing that you are expected to care for your younger brother most of the time, and that is making it hard to live as a 16 year old. It must be frustrating to feel like you are not being heard when you try to talk to your parents about your situation. It also sounds like your main concern is being able to take care of yourself and staying healthy through your pregnancy. It appears you have thought about a number of possible actions to take, and we would be happy to talk to you about what it might look like to follow through with them. If you would like to discuss your situation further, feel free to call the 24 -hour hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY or reach out to our chatline. With more information, we will be able to provide you with useful resources that might help with your situation.

Guest replied
    Hello, I’m 16 years old, I take care of my 14 year old brother who has special needs and have been taking care of him for 6 years straight now. I’m also 28 weeks pregnant, I don’t know how to talk about this, but I can’t continue to watch my brother. I’m told to feed him, change his diaper, and sleep with him as if I’m the mother. He has mini seizures and falls out of nowhere so I have to stay sitting down with him everyday to make sure nothing happens to him. I can’t live my life as a girl my age could, if I do go out I always have to be home at a certain time to receive my brother from bus and watch him, I’ve tried to talk to my parents like a million times but nothing I say makes them care, they don’t understand how much it mentally affects me, I can’t even sleep sometimes because my brother won’t let me sleep. Whenever they decide to take him (rare case) he stays up and so my parents bring him to me because they rather themselves get sleep and let me stay up even tho I have school the next day. I wanted to get emancipated but I read that I would need parents consent, my parents wouldn’t even think about it. I don’t want to runaway, is there anything else I could do? My boyfriends parents would gladly take me in as one of their own

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon. We can help look up resources for places you can stay as well.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I’m 16 and I’m pregnant I live with a bunch of people in my house and some just so happens to be addicted to drugs I was told if I was to get pregnant I would be kicked out by the owner of the house that is in no way related to me but I know my parents would never let me leave but with the father of my baby living far away from me things would be hard and he is fully there for me and supports me in every way but I couldn’t have my baby living here or without me that’s just wrong and I couldn’t do that I know about emancipation but I don’t know how I would do it or even begin or how to get it done and I don’t want to be filed as a run away I just don’t want to be here anymore me and my baby are in more danger here then we would be in about any other situation that I could think of I truly just need help on what to do my mom is toxic and files for money on me but acts as if when she buys me food I should be “great full” but I didn’t ask to be born and the things that are said to me here are so disrespectful they don’t know I’m pregnant yet because I’m scared of their reaction I’m scared they will lock me up in this house and not let me see my baby’s father and I don’t know how much more I can take in this house I need a way out

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. We hope to help you through this difficult situation.
    It sounds like you really care for your daughter and want what is best for her. While it is not illegal to leave home as a minor without parental consent, the parent or guardian can report their runaway youth to local police, who will make a good faith effort to find them and bring them home. Keep in mind though that the efforts made to search for runaway youth can vary from state to state or even within districts. Often it is up to the parents to advocate for themselves and keep track of the steps taken to find their youth. It is also smart to contact law enforcement as it can protect you from any charges of neglect.
    If you feel like this option does not work, you might have your daughter call us at 1-800-RUN-AWAY. We can safety check her situation, and talk through options that may be good for you both. We also have an excellent service in which we can carry out a conference call between you two. This would have to be initiated by your daughter’s call to us.
    Of course, proper health care can be important in whatever path your daughter takes. One way to reach a doctor and find useful resources that specialize in women’s health/pregnancy is to contact Planned Parenthood at 1800-230-7526 or go to their website at https://www.plannedparenthood.org/.
    We hope you have found this information useful. We encourage you or your daughter to reach out to us by phone if you need anything more. Good luck navigating this situation. You have done a great job already.
    Sincerely,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My daughter just found out ahe is pregnant and is only 16 she and the babies father want to move out together but i dont want that just yet what rights do i have?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to NRS, it seems like you are going through a lot right now finding out that you are pregnant and it’s understandable that you feel like you need to get out of a toxic place. Its good that you have support in place that can help you through this tough time.
    If you were to leave without your mom’s permission she can file a runaway report and have police bring you back home. Police may let you talk about the toxicity at home and choose to let you stay somewhere else safe while they have CPS investigate but that is not a guarantee. There is also a chance that those you stay with could face a harboring a runaway charge for letting you stay with them.
    One other option might be emancipation. That is pretty much proving to the state that you can survive on your own without the help of your parent and would be better off on your own. The exact requirements vary from state to state.
    Hopefully this information has been helpful. If you want more information on emancipation, or anything else, or just wanted to vent you can always reach us at 1-800-786-2929 or through our online chat.

Guest replied
    i'm 16 and i'm pregnant and the guy i'm with is a little older he has a stable job and has a healthy environment for the baby and me to live in his mama is okay with it and i dont want to live here with my mama anymore she is toxic always yelling at me she doesnt care for anybody but herself she thinks everything she does is right and i dont want to be in this environment anymore its not healthy for me and i for sure dont want my child to grow up in a home like this she doesnt even know im pregnant and im scared to tell her can i leave and stay with him without any trouble?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.
    You mentioned that you are pregnant and wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with parent/guardian permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s a possibility of your boyfriend’s mother helping you to communicate this to them. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern.
    Mom being on drugs may certainly qualify for safety concerns.

Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. However in most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees.
    We would be happy to look into legal resources in your area if that’s something you are considering.
    We understand the desire for wanting to leave home with the situation being what it is.
    We want you to know that we are here to listen and here to help during this difficult time.

If you would like to talk more and discuss these options, please reach out so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Take care and be safe,

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X