Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 16 and pregnant and want to move out, can I?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hey there,
    Thanks for reaching out to NRS, it seems like you are going through a lot right now finding out that you are pregnant and it’s understandable that you feel like you need to get out of a toxic place. Its good that you have support in place that can help you through this tough time.
    If you were to leave without your mom’s permission she can file a runaway report and have police bring you back home. Police may let you talk about the toxicity at home and choose to let you stay somewhere else safe while they have CPS investigate but that is not a guarantee. There is also a chance that those you stay with could face a harboring a runaway charge for letting you stay with them.
    One other option might be emancipation. That is pretty much proving to the state that you can survive on your own without the help of your parent and would be better off on your own. The exact requirements vary from state to state.
    Hopefully this information has been helpful. If you want more information on emancipation, or anything else, or just wanted to vent you can always reach us at 1-800-786-2929 or through our online chat.

Guest replied
    i'm 16 and i'm pregnant and the guy i'm with is a little older he has a stable job and has a healthy environment for the baby and me to live in his mama is okay with it and i dont want to live here with my mama anymore she is toxic always yelling at me she doesnt care for anybody but herself she thinks everything she does is right and i dont want to be in this environment anymore its not healthy for me and i for sure dont want my child to grow up in a home like this she doesnt even know im pregnant and im scared to tell her can i leave and stay with him without any trouble?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hi there,
    Thanks for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline.
    You mentioned that you are pregnant and wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with parent/guardian permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s a possibility of your boyfriend’s mother helping you to communicate this to them. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern.
    Mom being on drugs may certainly qualify for safety concerns.

Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. However in most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees.
    We would be happy to look into legal resources in your area if that’s something you are considering.
    We understand the desire for wanting to leave home with the situation being what it is.
    We want you to know that we are here to listen and here to help during this difficult time.

If you would like to talk more and discuss these options, please reach out so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Take care and be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    I'm 15 and I'm a month pregnant i want to move in with my 17 year old boyfriend him and his family have been supporting me my mom and her boyfriend are both on meth and both do pills his family has said I could live there but my parents will not let me leave how could I get out of this situation?
    Last edited by ccsmod4; 03-27-2020, 01:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Hey there,

We are glad you reached out to us, we understand it is tough to seek help and you are very brave in taking that step and reaching out. It sounds like you have been going through a lot with your girlfriend and we are glad that she has someone like you advocating for her safety. She does not deserve to be treated in such a way where she is unable to tell her parents what she is going through.

In most states, being under the age of 18 constitutes being a minor. Because your girlfriend is 15 going on 16, her parents still have a say on where she can live. If she is interested though, because of the abuse she is experiencing, physically and verbally, she does have the right to make an abuse report. Now we are not legal experts, but what that would look like is there is the possibility a caseworker will come out to investigate what has been going on and their decision is what is going to be best for the youth. You and/or your girlfriend can contact the organization Child Help to find out more information on what abuse reporting can look like, what the outcome can be and any other question on what resources and services can be available for you both. They are a 24/7 hotline, just like us, where you can call them at 1-800-422-4453 or you can start a live chat with them at www.childhelp.org.

If she might be pregnant, that is something you definitely would like to find out right away in order to take the next steps and see what options can be available to her. You and/or your girlfriend can contact Planned Parenthood for more questions about different options, the steps to take in order to stay healthy, as well as the services they may be able to provide for you. You can give them a call at 1-800-230-7526 or go on their website to find the nearest Planned Parenthood center at www.plannedparenthood.org

It sounds like everything your girlfriend and you yourself have been going through a lot of emotional and mental stress and it is important to make sure you are practicing self-care and taking care of yourselves. There are many different ways to cope and finding one that fits best for you is going to help a lot in order for you guys to support each other. Contacting NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illnesses, is a great organization to reach out to about different methods of coping as well as being able to talk to them about whatever you may be going through. They are also a 24/7 hotline and are there to help and listen. You can call them at 1-800-950-NAMI (6264), start a live chat with them at www.nami.org, and they also have a text service where you would text the word NAMI to 741741.

With your girlfriend experiencing all this, it seems it has been impacting her negatively to a point where you fear she may try to hurt or even kill herself. Reaching out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline may be able to provide a listening ear for her and help her talk through what she have been experiencing. They are 24/7 as well and you can contact them at 1-800-273-8255 or start a live chat with them at www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org

If you want to talk more in depth about what other options you may have or need someone to talk to, do not hesitate to give us a call at 1-800-786-2929, we are 24/7 and completely confidential. You can also send us a live chat at www.1800runaway.org. We are here for you, here to help, and here to listen.

Best of Luck,
    NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 03-02-2020, 05:55 PM.

Guest replied
    so i’m in a tough situation my girlfriend she’s 15 about to be 16 on may 21 she lives in a home where she gets hit and insulted and her parents don’t like anything that makes her happy not even me but we love each other and we mean it she wants to move out she’s talking about emancipation but she’s told me before she’s mentally unstable and she doesn’t tell her parents because they say she’s overreacting but i’m concerned for her because she might try hurting or killing herself because of something they do i was wondering can she move in with me and my parents she also might be pregnant we don’t know yet please hurry i fear for her safety

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod2
    We are glad you contacted us today. It sounds like you have been dealing with a lot as you try to adjust with the changes brought on by a pregnancy and becoming a mother. It seems you and your father are not on the same page as to what will when happen when the baby arrives. It’s great that you have the support from your boyfriend and his family. You had a questions about your legal rights as a parenting teen. Unfortunately, we are not legal experts and are unable to provide legal advice. From what we know, pregnancy doesn’t automatically emancipate you and you are not considered an adult until you turn 18. Give us a call or chat with us to explore your options 1-800-786-2929.

Guest replied
    I’m 16 years old and 25 weeks pregnant my dad wants to choose where I take my baby after he is born he wants me to take the baby home with him where I live but I feel more comfortable and have everything my baby needs at my boyfriends house . My dad hasn’t bought anything for my baby as for my boyfriends family has gotten every single thing . I feel stable at my boyfriends house when I’m at my dad’s he constantly stresses me out about his bills his pain and causes me emotional stress . He keeps the air at 70 I’m always hot I just want to know if he has the legal right to make me come home after I give birth and what I can do to make my own choices I live in Florida

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents permission. If they give you permission to do so then there is nothing that the school can do, unless you do not go to school. Some states have truancy laws where skipping school is not permitted and you and your parents can get into trouble You can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering. If you are preganant and need assistance Planned Parenthood is a great resource. They can be reached at 1-800-230-7526.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hello well I’m not sure where to start so basically I have a bf and on dec 24 2019 I started living with him and my parents had talked with him me and his mom then this morning I was at home then my mom calls me saying that the school says if I don’t go that they would call the cops to find me so I tell her I’m going, I get there and this one assistant principal tells me and my parents just cause I’m 16 doesn’t mean I can do what I want and leave cause either I can get sent away or my parents since they’re illegal and go to jail/juvenile and apparently I’m pregnant and I want to be with my bf because him and his family support what I’m going through and are there for me, he works and gives me money for me to eat during the day and now my parents are scared of going to jail or something and want me to stay with them can you please help me

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod0
    Hi there,

There are three ways you can leave home before you turn the legal age. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Becoming pregnant does not necessarily change these options. Depending on the age of consent for your state, it may actually be illegal for you two to be in a relationship. Your parents could possibly have him charged because of your age. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. These are all legal consequences you may want to consider moving forward with your relationship and possible plan of getting pregnant and moving in with him.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Guest replied
    Hi I’m 15 about to be 16 I really want to have a baby with my boyfriend now I don’t like my home with my mother I’m never aloud to go out I’m always stuck at home I have to sneak out in order to see him and he’s 18 he thinks I’m older but I’m actually not in underage do you think that’s a big deal for him and if I get pregnant now would I be able to move in with him now . Would I have to go to school ?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    It must be hard to live in a such a toxic environment. If you don’t feel safe in your household you can contact Child Help at 1800-422-4453 and file an abuse report on your parents. Unfortunately just because you have a child at 16 it doesn’t make you legally considered an adult. This means if you were attempting to runaway you are still considered a minor. If you runaway to your boyfriends house your parents could file a runaway report and the police would return to back home if they find you. Your boyfriend could be charged with harboring a runaway.
    We are not legal experts but as far as the right that your mom has to keep your child may vary based on the state you reside in. Some states require parental consent for the medical treatment of your baby. Since you are a minor your mom may be have rights over your child. You can check with a legal advocate in your area to get the most accurate information regarding the legal rights available to you.
    If you feel overwhelmed or like you need someone to talk to about what is going on at home text NAMI to 741741 for some emotional support. It can be frustrating to feel like you have no options.We hope that you might consider reaching out to us to talk over your situation. We are here to listen and to help and to help keep you safe and off the streets. Whether by phone or live chat, we can help you discover the options that you have. You can reach us 24/7 by phone at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY) or via live chat through the website at www.1800runaway.org. We hope to hear from you!

Guest replied
    I’m 16 and I have a 7th month old baby my mom keeps putting me out her House but keeps telling me I can’t take my baby like is that even Possible ? To keep my child from me I work and take care of my daughter and the dad is very supportive I want to move with him there’s so many people in such a small house we have it’s so annoying , I can’t stand it anymore I want to leave but my mom try’s to hold my baby against me that’s the only reason I stay . Idk what to do

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod4
    Hello,
    Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you frustrated by the living situation with your mother and may be contemplating moving out before you are to turn 18. You mentioned that you are also pregnant.
    We understand that sometimes things may become overwhelming and you are not quite sure what to do. Telling her you are pregnant is a big step. We understand it is a difficult situation for you. It sounds like you have supportive people around you. Perhaps you can discuss a plan on giving your mother the news. Looking into prenatal care for you and the baby might be something else to consider. If you need assistance with locating local health care services NRS can help with that. Also because you are a minor you most likely would need a parent’s permission to move out.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and explore more about your options or how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
    NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X