Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 16 and pregnant and want to move out, can I?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello. I'm 18, and a tutor for freshman in highschool. I have a kid with me now who sadly was kicked from home due to his parents homophobia. I don't want to be charged with harboring a "runaway" but the child is 15 and abused horribly. What do I do? I'm his tutor, and all of this seems so wrong; what do I do?

​​​​​​​

Comment

• ccsmod9
      ccsmod9 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,
      Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. Some options you have are to be proactive about reporting the abuse to the police. You mentioned that the child has been abused, if there happens to be marks or bruises that would be essential to reporting abuse. Another thing you could do as well is to get their school counselors involved or someone who is an adult that can advocate for the youth involved. Usually the more adults you have in a situation like this the better the response from the police or DCFS will be. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
      Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).You can also call Child Help (1800-422-4453) which is an organization that helps with reporting and providing next steps for youth in danger.
      If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
      We hope to hear from you soon.
      Be safe, NRS

Im 18 and my girl friend is 16 when she has the baby can she come with me to a different town where I have great paying job and a house that all I pay is utilities. It has two bedrooms, no mold no mice or broken windows all the water faucets work the stove works the shower works and its furnished. It plenty big for all three of us. And I also have a vehicle can she come.with me. Without parent consent

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how she can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with her parent's permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you both feeling to her parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states she needs to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that she can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Hi,I just found out that I am pregnant and I don't know what to do.I am 15 years old and I am dating a 18 year old.I love him a lot and he already knows I am pregnant and my friends.They support me a lot.There is just a couple of things wrong I don't know how long I have been pregnant,I never told a doctor or my mom.I don't know how to tell her...I don't want to live with her because she tries to control everything I just want to live with my bf and his family where they could make me feel comfortable.Is there anyway I can't live with my mom aymore.

Comment

• ccsmod4
      ccsmod4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello,
      Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It sounds like you frustrated by the living situation with your mother and may be contemplating moving out before you are to turn 18. You mentioned that you are also pregnant.
      We understand that sometimes things may become overwhelming and you are not quite sure what to do. Telling her you are pregnant is a big step. We understand it is a difficult situation for you. It sounds like you have supportive people around you. Perhaps you can discuss a plan on giving your mother the news. Looking into prenatal care for you and the baby might be something else to consider. If you need assistance with locating local health care services NRS can help with that. Also because you are a minor you most likely would need a parent’s permission to move out.

We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and explore more about your options or how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

Take care,
      NRS

I’m 16 and I have a 7th month old baby my mom keeps putting me out her House but keeps telling me I can’t take my baby like is that even Possible ? To keep my child from me I work and take care of my daughter and the dad is very supportive I want to move with him there’s so many people in such a small house we have it’s so annoying , I can’t stand it anymore I want to leave but my mom try’s to hold my baby against me that’s the only reason I stay . Idk what to do

Comment

• ccsmod3
      ccsmod3 commented
      Editing a comment
      It must be hard to live in a such a toxic environment. If you don’t feel safe in your household you can contact Child Help at 1800-422-4453 and file an abuse report on your parents. Unfortunately just because you have a child at 16 it doesn’t make you legally considered an adult. This means if you were attempting to runaway you are still considered a minor. If you runaway to your boyfriends house your parents could file a runaway report and the police would return to back home if they find you. Your boyfriend could be charged with harboring a runaway.
      We are not legal experts but as far as the right that your mom has to keep your child may vary based on the state you reside in. Some states require parental consent for the medical treatment of your baby. Since you are a minor your mom may be have rights over your child. You can check with a legal advocate in your area to get the most accurate information regarding the legal rights available to you.
      If you feel overwhelmed or like you need someone to talk to about what is going on at home text NAMI to 741741 for some emotional support. It can be frustrating to feel like you have no options.We hope that you might consider reaching out to us to talk over your situation. We are here to listen and to help and to help keep you safe and off the streets. Whether by phone or live chat, we can help you discover the options that you have. You can reach us 24/7 by phone at 1-800-786-2929 (1-800-RUNAWAY) or via live chat through the website at www.1800runaway.org. We hope to hear from you!

Hi I’m 15 about to be 16 I really want to have a baby with my boyfriend now I don’t like my home with my mother I’m never aloud to go out I’m always stuck at home I have to sneak out in order to see him and he’s 18 he thinks I’m older but I’m actually not in underage do you think that’s a big deal for him and if I get pregnant now would I be able to move in with him now . Would I have to go to school ?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

There are three ways you can leave home before you turn the legal age. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents' permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parents. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Becoming pregnant does not necessarily change these options. Depending on the age of consent for your state, it may actually be illegal for you two to be in a relationship. Your parents could possibly have him charged because of your age. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions. These are all legal consequences you may want to consider moving forward with your relationship and possible plan of getting pregnant and moving in with him.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Hello well I’m not sure where to start so basically I have a bf and on dec 24 2019 I started living with him and my parents had talked with him me and his mom then this morning I was at home then my mom calls me saying that the school says if I don’t go that they would call the cops to find me so I tell her I’m going, I get there and this one assistant principal tells me and my parents just cause I’m 16 doesn’t mean I can do what I want and leave cause either I can get sent away or my parents since they’re illegal and go to jail/juvenile and apparently I’m pregnant and I want to be with my bf because him and his family support what I’m going through and are there for me, he works and gives me money for me to eat during the day and now my parents are scared of going to jail or something and want me to stay with them can you please help me

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parents permission. If they give you permission to do so then there is nothing that the school can do, unless you do not go to school. Some states have truancy laws where skipping school is not permitted and you and your parents can get into trouble You can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering. If you are preganant and need assistance Planned Parenthood is a great resource. They can be reached at 1-800-230-7526.

Be safe,

NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X