No announcement yet.


  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pregnant

    So i am 17 and i live in pa and i am pregnant am i able to move out legally to be with the father of my baby with a baby thats unborn . Also do I have the legal right since im the mother of an unborn baby do i have a right what i want to do with my child coming from like adoption or abortion. Also is there a way that i can let a close friend of mine be the father of my baby instead of the bilogical father cause he hurts me and i don't want him around us .

  • #2
    Thank you so much for reaching out to us. It sounds like you’re going through a very uncertain and confusing time in your life. It can be difficult to ask for help when a situation is already so tough. So let’s dive in and try to answer some of your questions.

    It is not illegal to leave home without permission. However until you are legally an adult, which in PA is the age of 18, your parents can file a runaway report with the police. If they do this and you happen to be picked up by the police for any number of reasons they will return you home and the father of the baby (or whoever you were living with) could potentially be charged with harboring a runaway. We aren’t legal experts though, so we can really only speak in generalities.

    To get an abortion in Pennsylvania, a minor (someone who is under the age of 1 must get permission from at least one parent or guardian unless in the case of a medical emergency. If a parent refuses to consent, you could file a Judicial Bypass petition for permission to get an abortion. The petition is filed with the Court of Common Pleas of the judicial district in which you live. However, as we are not legal experts we cannot provide you with other more specific information, such as details about the process. If you are interested in looking further at this, feel free to call us and we can refer you. As for adoption, you can place a child up for adoption without parental permission yet permission from the father is needed.

    If you are not married to the father of your child, many states grant custody of the child to the mother by default unless the father immediately seeks custody after the birth. If the father does not seek custody of the baby immediately after birth, you have a stronger case to retain custody. We can’t speak specifically to transferring the custody of the child to another friend, but if you’re looking for more specific legal advice please call us and we can refer you.

    You mentioned that the biological father hurts you. We’re not legal experts but since the biological father hurts you we could potentially look into legal means to keep him from being named on the birth certificate. If this is something you want to look more into please give us a call or use our chat service which is listed on our website.

    Again, thank you for reaching out to NRS. It takes a lot of courage to seek out help when you need it. You are trying to figure what the best thing for you to do is. We hope we were able to help, but if you need further assistance or if you would just like to talk further about your situation, please do not hesitate to call our 24 hour hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) or chat with us. We are here to listen and we are here to help. Best of luck to you!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    • #3
      "You mentioned that the biological father hurts you. We’re not legal experts but since the biological father hurts you we could potentially look into legal means to keep him from being named on the birth certificate. If this is something you want to look more into please give us a call or use our chat service which is listed on our website".

      i would like more information on this


      • ccsmod13
        ccsmod13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello and thank you for contacting The National Runaway Safeline. We will do our best to help and support you!
        Although we are not legal experts and do not give out legal advice, if you would not like your child’s biological father’s name on their birth certificate, we can provide you with some organizations that may point you in the right direction. One option could be the nearest Planned Parenthood. You can contact them through their website or via phone on their national line 1-800-230-7526. You could also contact your nearest Child Protection Agency. They may be able to help you with deciding who gets custody over the child. As always, if your immediate safety is in danger, please call your local police department for safety and protection.
        Thank you again for contacting us! Feel free to call us anytime, as our phone services are available 24/7. You can also contact us through the chat services on our website The chat services are only available during select hours.
        Good luck!

    • #4
      ok thanks you can you please give me orgqnizations that can do that


      • ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there, please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat us for local resources. We would be more than happy to look for resources in your area, and we truly want to help. A good resource for all family planning resources is Planned Parenthood at 1-800-230-7526.

        We look forward to hearing from you,


    • #5
      if i am 17 and soon 6 weeks pregnant can my mom make any dessions about the baby cause im the baby mother


      • ccsmod10
        ccsmod10 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline and sharing your experience with us. It is a courageous step to take that is not always easy. It sounds like you are in a difficult situation. Becoming pregnant and feeling unprepared or unsure of what to do next can be a scary thing to face. We are always here to listen and help as best as possible. Taking this step by step can help to make this stressful time a little less overwhelming. Identifying people in your life that you can trust to support you during this time may be a good start to seeking help and exploring your options. Some states lets youth emancipate if they become pregnant. We’re not legal experts, but if you call in we’d be more than glad to look up legal aid in your area.

        Proper health care can be important in whatever you choose to do. One way to reach a doctor and find useful resources that specialize in women’s health/pregnancy is to contact Planned Parenthood at 1800-230-7526 or go to their website at

        If you’d like additional support or resources please call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY 24 hours, 7 days a week or chat with us online by going to
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove