No announcement yet.

I'm turning 16 soon and I want to move in with two people and split rent.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I'm turning 16 soon and I want to move in with two people and split rent.

    I'm turning 16 in November (right now it's April) and I plan to get a job and finish school and get my license as soon as I can. I love with my mom but we don't get along too well when it comes to my freedom. My mom lives vicariously through me, because when she was younger she didn't have much of a childhood. At this point my main reason for wanting to leave is because she stresses me out and I'm tired of her wanting to control me. And I get that she's me mom and she has rights, but she abuses the rights that she has as a parent, in my opinion. She yells a lot, and I can tell that I'm a burden. I have other places to go, but they're all too far or there are too many people for me to continue at my current school. My oldest friend is going to be 18 next year in March and my youngest friend is going to be 16 next year, also in March. They are the two people I want to live with. The younger one should be allowed to move out, but it's late and I've only just thought about this. Would it be possible for me to move in with a 16 and 18 year old when I turn 16? How would I go about doing that? We all plan to have jobs and finish our education before we move out of the apartment we have planned to live in. My younger friend will probably move in with her boyfriend if she has one at the time and I plan to live with my boyfriend, and I want to know what the deal is on this subject.

  • #2
    Reply: I'm turning 16 soon and I want to move in with two people and split rent.

    Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

    We are sorry to hear about your situation and hope that you are able to work things out.
    In most states 18 years old is the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. A person under the age of 18 leaving home without permission, a parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city.

    Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows a runaway to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway.

    If you would like to speak more to someone about your situation give NRS a call at: 1-800-Runaway (786-2929).
    You can also contact (Live chat).

    We hope to hear from you soon.

    Take Care,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp