No announcement yet.

15 year old wants to leave in MN illegal?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 15 year old wants to leave in MN illegal?

    hi. I am 15 years old, and I want to run away from my home. My legal guardian is not exactly nice to me. I can't go to my mothers house, ( my grandmother is my guardian) because she is unstable. She is an addict to stuff and she has one room there, and it isn't the best place. We don't get along earthed. I have ADHD and take meds for it, I don't plan on leaving for long but I can go to my boyfriend he will provide me with some money and he might come with me to Ruhr away to a hotel for a few days. Long enough for my parents to think. Is it illegal to do thus and what will the consequences be?

  • #2
    Hi there,

    Thanks for reaching out. It shows a lot of courage to come forward about your problems, and it shows responsibility to want to know about what options you have. It sounds like you are going through a lot at home and with your mother and it makes sense why you would want to run away.

    Firstly, we are not legal experts, but we can provide you with general information. Oftentimes, running away is not illegal, it is instead a “status offense,” meaning that the courts have decided that you are too young to live on your own without your guardian’s permission. If you were to run away and your grandmother were to file a runaway report with the police, if the police came into contact with you, then they would likely just bring you back to your grandmother’s home. Whoever harbors you as a runaway is criminally liable for harboring you, so this might be something you would want to tell your boyfriend, since it sounds like he is willing to harbor you.

    It also might be worth your time to evaluate how safe you feel with your boyfriend, particularly if he is providing you money to stay in a hotel. From your post, it sounds like you really trust your boyfriend enough to go to a hotel with him, but it might be helpful to think about your boundaries with this plan (i.e what does he expect you to do if he gives you this money). One other thing that you can keep in mind is how your parents would react to you leaving or even find you in a hotel room with your boyfriend. If you ever change your mind and need help finding a shelter (in case you don’t think the hotel plan won’t work out), you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

    Hopefully this helped you discover your options and make a more informed decision regarding whether or not to run away. We really appreciate that you contacted us, and want you to know that you can contact us again, either through this forum or by calling us at any time. Good luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp