No announcement yet.

I just want to leave. Please help me.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I just want to leave. Please help me.

    My grandparents adopted me when I was born. My mother allowed it because she knew she couldn't take care of me because she was a drug addict. But now, she has her own home, pays for it, has a ful time, GREAT paying job, and takes me to church when I ask. My grandparents on the other hand, don't work. Get money from disability, and never do anything with me. They don't let me leave the front yard. They curse at me. They told me the other day (because I asked Ifni could live with my mom who lives 30 minutes away) that if I go, don't ever come back. But, since I've actually moved in with her, they have called me and told me that I'm selfish, I'm no good, and I'm a liar. And they said that they would force me to move back into that toxic home. They have provided me with everything I need and I'm grateful for that, but none of that really matters if Ive never been happy. So what should I do? Should I tell social services or should I let them hurt me like that? I don't want them to take me away from my mom. She loves me. She loves me more than anything. And I just want to be happy.

  • #2

    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you are going through a difficult time, and we admire you for having the courage to tell us about it. It sounds like while your mother is willing to take you in, your grandparents are upset about the possibility of losing you. However, it is important for you to look out for yourself. From what you are saying, living with your grandparents hasn't been working well for you, so it is probably best that something changes. We aren't legal experts here, but from what we know, since your grandparents have custody over you, they are able to file a runaway report if you are under the age of majority in your state. This means the police could bring you back home if your grandparents requested it. But, perhaps you can try negotiating with them- maybe you can bring up the possibility of staying with your mother on the weekends but living with your grandparents during the week. Also, you mentioned that your grandparents can be controlling and mean with their insults. Under no circumstance does anyone ever deserve to be made to feel this way. With that being said, one possibility is reaching out to a family counselor who may be able to encourage them to treat you more fairly, and help you reach some sort compromise with them. If this sounds like something you would be willing to try, you are welcome to give us a call at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) and we would be happy to find you some resources in your area. Also, another option you have, like you said, is to reach out to a social worker. By telling the social worker all of this there is a possibility that Child Protective Services may give your mother custody over you, but unfortunately there is no guarantee they will. However, often times if they do not remove you from your home, they will make your guardians take a class on how to treat you better.

    If you have any other questions or would like to discuss these options in person, you are welcome to give us a call or chat us. We wish you the best of luck. Take care!
    Last edited by ccsmod15; 03-19-2017, 02:34 PM.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp