16 in Georgia, wanting to runaway

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 in Georgia, wanting to runaway

As stated I am 16 in Georgia. My home life is not what I want. My dad does not do anything that would be considered abuse. But he threatens to have me institutionalized. He does this in order to get me to do everything that he wants and how he wants it. My brother told him I had a shot of alcohol, in which I know is not a good thing to do. However I also don't think threatening to put your child in an insane asylum is a proportional punishment. It is reasons like this that caus me to want to live elsewhere.

He recently agreed out of anger to allow me to move out. I had everything set up and a friend to move in with, that would help care for me and make sure I am safe. My dad then changed his mind and said I can't go, and if I tried, once again, he would habpve me institutionalized.

My question is what happens if I runaway anyways?

Thank you for reading.

Re: 16 in Georgia, wanting to runaway

Hello,

We are sorry to hear your home life is not what I want. It sounds like you have difficult relationship with your father. You stated that your dad has threatened to institutionalize you, which must be really scary.

Even though your dad gave you verbal consent at one point to leave the home, he would still have the right to file a Runaway Report if you were to leave home. We are not legal experts but we do know that running away is typically a status offense.

It may be helpful to contact your local police and ask in general what they would do in the event that a 16 year old was to leave home.

If you need additional assistance, feel free to give us a call or chat in. We would be happy to talk further and explore other options.

Best of luck,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    x
    Working...
    X