No announcement yet.

17 and want to run away in Ohio?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 and want to run away in Ohio?

    I'm 17 and I live in Ohio. My mom has been emotionally and physically abusive and I don't know if I can stand it anymore. She's kicked me out twice and the second time she threatened to call the cops, she said she doesn't want me anymore. She would sign to get me emancipated but I would think by time the papers got approved I'd be 18 by then. She said she knows her options, she said she'll make me go live with my dad in TN but since I'm 17 she can't force me to live with anyone right ? Could I go live with my moms bestfriend or my aunt legally ? I would be much happier at either of those places

  • #2
    Hi there,

    It sounds like you have been going through a lot with your mom, and you don’t deserve to be abused in any way, physically or emotionally. We are here to support you, and we are glad you reached out. One thing to keep in mind is you have the right to file a child abuse report for the physical and emotional abuse, but also for your mom kicking you out for neglect. A great resource to contact about child abuse reporting is Child Help USA at 1-800-422-4453. They are an information and support hotline that can answer any questions you may have about child abuse or child abuse reporting. You mentioned emancipation, and while each case varies, you are right in that it can often take up to a year for the process to be finalized. If your mom is your legal guardian, she can unfortunately have you live with other family members. But again, you have the right to file an abuse report if you feel this choice is unsafe for you. Would your mom be open to you living with her best friend or your aunt? It is completely understandable that you’d want to live in a place where you are happy and not being abused. We have legal aid resources we’d be happy to provide for you that you can speak with about legally changing guardianship to someone else, or emancipation if you are able to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are available 24/7 and you can remain confidential. We are here to support you, and we’d be glad to talk more in depth with you about your situation and provide you with those additional resources.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp