No announcement yet.

17 Years Old and Lives In Kansas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I turn 17 in a week, but I realize the age to legally leave home is 18. Well, for all I know, I know my parents will never sign an emancipation notice or anything of that matter. So I’m curious if there is a way I can leave home legally at 17. I live in Kansas, I don’t know if that means anything. Or I guess what would be the penalty if I were to run away, for curiosity purposes.

Comment

• ccsmod1
      ccsmod1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing a little bit about what’s been going on, we know that it takes a lot of courage. Leaving home is a big decision and it can be very stressful to figure out what you want to do. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS, but generally speaking, if you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If a runaway report is filed and you are located by the authorities you will most likely be returned home.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

We'd love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to support youth and families. Please click the link below to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think

Stay safe,
      NRS

Hi, I am a 16 year old from Kansas. Me and my mother get into heated arguments and she has mentioned that I am 16 and can move out now. If I leave the home saying I am moving out, can she call the police and report me as a runaway? Also I have been thinking about emancipation but I do not think a court will approve, Do we have to go to court? I am 100% sure my mom would sign the papers so it is not like I would be going to court because my mom said no.

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are happy to help in any way that we can.

You mentioned that your mom said that you can move out now that you are 16. There is a resource on Sex, ETC called Sex in the States - https://sexetc.org/action-center/sex-in-the-states/ - that lists out different ages per state in terms of consent and age of majority. It does look like in Kansas, you are considered a minor until you are 18 years old. Because of this, your legal guardian is required by law to provide housing to you until you reach that age. If you do decide to move out before the age of 18, and then want to return home, that should still be an option to you until the age of 18.

You asked about whether your mom could report you as a runaway if you left home. Since you are under the age of majority, your mom would be able to file a runaway report if she decided to. Something that some people consider doing in this case is to sign an alternative guardianship form, which you can find templates for online. We are not legal experts, but our understanding is that this agreement can safeguard you against any legal troubles with the police in case your mom initially agrees for you to move out but then changes your mind after you have left, .

If you do not have any sort of written agreement before leaving and your mom reports you as a runaway, again our general understanding is that most police departments just try to return you home safely. Your non-emergency line of your local police department might be able to better explain exactly how they handle runaway cases. We are happy to call out on your behalf if you call out to us here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We can also discuss your plan to leave home, talking through where you are going to stay and how you will support yourself.

You mentioned that you are considering emancipation. Our understanding is that this can be a time-consuming and sometimes expensive process. It does look like in Kansas a petition for emancipation must be filed in court. Unfortunately, we are not legal experts, so we are not sure about the specifics of the court process. If you would like to look further into emancipation, feel free to reach out to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or via our Chat on 1800runaway.org, and we can provide legal aid suggestions and resources that are in your county. We are a 24/7, completely confidential safeline. Here to listen, here to help.

Best of luck,
      NRS

I am 16 about to be 17, what is the likeliness of cops finding me if I were to run away. would they be able to track me? would they really spend their time looking for an almost 17-year old that voluntarily ran away? I have places I could stay that my parents wouldn't think to look for me at, hence they don't know half of my friends, what are the odds that they would find me? could I still work? and what would happen with my schooling? If I run away I plan on staying away until I turn 18 (in a year).

Comment

• ccsmod15
      ccsmod15 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey there,

Sorry to hear things are kind of rough at home now to the point you want to run away. To answer your questions very directly: We have no idea what the odds might be as to whether the police would find you or not. We aren't legal or law enforcement experts, but our understanding is that the police do not actively search for youth that run away at your age -- meaning, they probably aren't going to go out on patrol with the sole intention of trying to find you. However, your parents still have the right to file a runaway report and anyone you stay with could be accused of harboring a runaway, which is a crime. If your parents have a specific address they believe you may be at, they could ask the police to try to find you there. And it is possible they would return you home.

As for school: you have a right to go to school even if you are not living with your parents or are homeless. However, if the school knows you are a runaway they will likely ask you what is going on and may try to intervene. But again, we have absolutely know way of know what exactly might happen.

If you'd like to talk about your situation more and perhaps think of other options you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY or chat with us via our website: www.1800runaway.org.

All the best,
      NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X