•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ccsmod15
    commented on Guest's reply
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out to NRS. We hope this general information will be helpful to you. The process for becoming a guardian would initially fall in the hands of your payee. They would need to contact either the courthouse or legal aide entity in your county. From there, there may be a series of steps and paperwork for them and you to follow. Becoming a guardian to someone can be a lengthy process but, depending on your state, and your current age, may be doable.

To get more details about what entity to contact in your state specifically concerning this legal issue, you can reach out to us on our 24 hour hotline (1-800-RUNAWAY) or through our Live Chat (1800runaway.org).

Best of luck.

Guest replied
    My parents kicked me out 2 years ago and disowned me saying to never come back, and i have a payee for social security payments, is it possible they can become my guardian? im 17

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod15
    Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline for support – we will do our best to help you! It sounds like you care a lot about your friend’s wellbeing.

You mentioned that you would like to get custody of your friend, who is 17 years old. Each state’s custody laws are little different. Since we are not legal experts here at NRS, contacting a legal aid resource might be beneficial. You might be able to find this information by calling your local non-emergency police number or by contacting Child Protective Services. We can also help you find legal aid resources for your specific state/region if you contact us via phone (1-800-RUNAWAY) or via online chat (www.1800runaway.org).

We are here 24/7 if you would like to contact us for more support regarding your specific situation. Take care,

NRS

Guest replied
    My friend ran away from home. She’s been gone for a couple months (almost a year) and she is about to be taken back. I was wondering if I would be able to get custody of her. She’s 17 and I’m 19 (almost 20). I’ve been with her through so much and I’m worried. She is about to be taken away and sent back. She will be sent to KBH which is a center to help drug abusers. I don’t know if I’ll be able to help and get custody, but I was wondering if I could get some help

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod3
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching to us, we hope to help as best we can! We’re sorry you’ve had to deal with that situation, it must have been overwhelming. We aren’t legal experts here but we can offer free legal aid services that may be able to better answer your questions about custody. If you would like to chat or call us we can find a resource specific to you state. Some states also have the options of MINS/CHINS, which is a way to hay law enforcement help with a minor who is getting into trouble. A judge is usually involved with helping parents/guardians of troubled youth. Each state has different programs for this and some states don’t have these programs at all, we can help you find more info if you were to reach out via phone or chat.
    You may also want to contact the local police department and ensure that you will not be accused for neglect if a runaway report has not been made for the minor yet. You can explain that you are afraid for your safety as well as the other minors in the home, they may be able to direct you to some kind of MINS/CHINS as well.
    We hope this helps! We look forward to hearing from you!
    Stay Safe,
    NRS

Guest replied
    i have custody of my nephew and just found him doing drugs, (weed) he got suspended from school so we took away all phones, he got angry when we did that and tried to over power me. i told him to go stack wood and clean up the back yard and he took off and has been a run away for almost a week now. my question is do i have to take him back in my home when they find him if i don't feel safe i also have 2 daughters aged 4 and 10? thanks

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here at NRS and we appreciate you sharing your situation with us. It sounds like your family has been making it very difficult to live independently and feel safe. It must be very frustrating that police are not being more helpful in your situation. From what you have mentioned, it seems like you have taken all of the necessary steps to support yourself which takes a lot of strength.

We are not legal experts, but you are more than likely considered a legal adult with the legal freedom to choose where you live since you are over 18. You did mentioned your mother has threatened to file for conservatorship. If she did follow through with this it would be a very difficult and expensive pursuit on her end. Because we are not legal experts and cannot give legal advice, it would be best to consult with a lawyer about your legal questions regarding this and what your options might be. If you call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929 or live chat with us at 1800runaway.org, we are happy to provide a legal aid resource for your area. You might qualify for free or low cost legal services.

Please do not hesitate to reach out soon so that we can provide support and resources,
    NRS

Guest replied
    My mother abused me as a minor severely whipped my back and I now look like a slave. I ran away from him for 2 years and moved in with friends. She has tried to tell the police I was kidnapped to hide her abuse. The police sided with her due to the family suing the Department and filing complaints against them for illegal behavior. Im over 18 and living my best life but still stalked by my mother and the police. My unemployment was hacked she trying to file conservatorship. I have no criminal record and no drug issues just a old iep for writing and I have anxiety. I refuse to communicate with anyone in my family. They are trying to say im on drugs. If I file for a restraining order she will file for conservatorship and since she has the crocked police on her side possibly forge testimony and statements. I ran away 2018. Have had a job. I want to be left alone but they keep stalking me.
    The police/feds hacked my unemployment tried to accuse the unemployment as fraud chased down the family i stayed with on a high speed chase but didnt pull them over at the last minute. I filed a complaint on them when i turned 18 for direlect of duties for not reporting my back and abuse to cps. I think because of all the illegal things they done they are using me as a excuse or a narrative... Im not a narrative. What should I do?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod13
    Hello, thanks for reaching out to NRS.

We are sorry to hear you are living in a verbally abusive household. Abuse of any kind is not okay and you do not deserve to be treated like that.

We are not legal experts by any means, but we can share some general information with you. From what we know the age of majority in most states is 18 and someone that age has the legal freedom to live where they want. If someone who is under the age of 18 years old leaves home without permission from their guardian, then they can be reported as a runaway. Running away itself is not illegal and not something that a young person would go to jail for. It basically means that if found by the police, the individual can be returned home.

In some cases, guardianship can be extended beyond the age of 18 making it so that the individual does not yet have full legal freedom. Since you mentioned your mom still has guardianship then this may apply to you. If you live somewhere without her permission, she might be able to have you returned home.

The National Domestic Violence Hotline may be able to offer additional support and resources regarding you situation since you mentioned there is verbal abusive where you are living. You can contact them at 1-800-799-7233 or www.thehotline.org .

We hope this answers your question. You can reach us by phone or chat 24/7 if you would like to talk more about your situation.

Be safe,
    NRS
    Last edited by ccsmod13; 11-12-2019, 07:55 PM.

Guest replied
    I am a 22 year old female who has diabetes and a rib and my mom has guardianship over me I'm currently living in a verbally abusive home not with my mother, would I go to jail if I ran away?

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod1
    Hey there,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us, we know it takes a lot of courage to share your story. It sounds like you care about your son a great deal and are very worried about his safety. We aren’t legal experts here at NRS but the police have to take a runaway report if your son is missing, regardless of if you do or don’t know where he is. If the police are not being helpful you may want to try reaching out to another branch (i.e. county sheriff, state trooper, etc.) You can also ask to speak with a supervisor/higher ranking individual at your local police station. Another resource that could be beneficial is the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) – which is a national missing child clearinghouse. If you’d like, you can reach them by calling 800-843-5678 or check out their website at missingkids.org. NCMEC also has a program called Team H.O.P.E. (Help Offering Parents Empowerment) which offers peer support from parents in similar situations, you can reach them by calling 800-305-4673.

All the best,
    NRS

Guest replied
    Hello I need some help . My 15 year old son left my home to live with his grandmother against my will . I have tried to call 911 and report him as a runaway but they said i can't do that since I know where's he's at . I need help because he is skipping school doing drugs and having sex while living at his grandmothers house she lets him leave for days at a time and will not give me any info on him . I have to find out from his social media accounts . Please tell me what I can do this is just so wrong and my son is just free to do whatever he wants

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod10
    Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out on behalf of your daughter’s friend, we appreciate the support you’re giving her.

It sounds like she’s been going through a really hard time at home. She does have the right to report the abuse and her parent’s usage of drugs to Child Protective Services. We’re not legal experts unfortunately so we’re not sure how getting guardianship over her would go. You can contact Child Help (National Child Abuse Hotline) at (800) 422-4453. They would be more knowledgeable on how the child abuse investigation would go and if there’s any way to get custody over her.

Again, thank you for contacting NRS. We hope the resource we gave you will be helpful. If you’d like to talk more about the youth’s options please don’t hesitate to call into our safeline. We would also appreciate if you passed our information to your daughter’s friend so she can contact us directly.

Best, NRS

Guest replied
    Apparently my daughters friend is a runaway... I heard her talk to her mother and I myself and my husband spoke to the father... the police came and I hope she comes back here so I can get guardianship over her... her father is abusive and both patents are into drugs do I have a chance to get guardiship so she doesn’t be placed in foster carw

Leave a comment:

• ccsmod6
    Hello thank you for contacting the NRS. We are sorry to hear about your sister’s situation.
    You mention her having depression and possibly smoking. If she would like to talk to someone about that she can reach out to NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness to speak about her options for counseling etc. or the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration at 1-877-726-4727. If she is feeling suicidal she can reach out to 911 for immediate assistance or if she would like to talk with a crisis counselor, she can reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1800-273-8255.
    You mention her feeling like she is being emotionally abused at home. If she is looking to report the abuse she can reach out to CPS or she can call in to our hotline and give us some detailed information and we can make the report together on a conference call or for her. She can also reach out to Child Help to make a report as well. They are also a resource to talk about custody options that may be beneficial to you as well. 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
    You or your sister always as the option of calling or catting with us at 1800-RUNAWAY, or 1800runaway.org. We are open 24/7, are confidential and toll free. Take Care.

-NRS
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X