Guardianship for runaway

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guardianship for runaway

Hello,
    Often, youth may reach out to NRS in several different ways to discuss their situation. If a response from NRS is not visible to a bulletin posting it may be that we have already provided services to that individual through another platform we provide such as email, our crisis hotline, or our live chat service (in operation every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST). NRS encourages anyone in need of assistance to contact us through our 24 hour crisis hotline at 1-800-RUNAWAY to receive immediate support.
    Thank you, NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    info@1800runaway.org (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Re: Running away

Hi-

I am 15 years old and am thinking about running away because my mother verbally threatens and abuses me often, and my dad has no job so he would not be able to take care of me. I tried talking to my grandparents about it but my mother says I'm lying then takes away any way of me talking to anyone about it. I was wondering what my options are?

Comment

Hello there, thank you for reaching out! We realize it is a difficult step to take to open up about abuse and ask for help from others, especially when you do not know us here. We are here to help and to listen!
        You do not deserve to be abused in any way and we are here to support you in any way we can through this whole process. One option you have is reporting the abuse. While it is harder to prove verbal or emotional abuse, you still have the right to report any mistreatment. If your mom ever physically abuse you, taking photos and/or documenting what dates, where on your body, and those type of details can help if you ever do choose to report it. You can call here 24/7 and we can help you make a phone call and report abuse. We can also report on your behalf if you would like us to. However, we can only make an abuse report if you give us identifying information over the phone so it is always your choice as to whether or not you want to proceed with making a report on our end. Another option for abuse is Child Help: 1-800-422-4453, childhelp.org. They can help you file a report or help in getting your custody transferred to a safe adult.
        You mentioned staying with your dad was not a possibility right now. Is there another family member or friend you could stay with? Would it be possible to ask your mom’s permission to stay with another person for a while? It seems really unfair that you’ve tried to reach out to your grandparents and your mom is saying you are lying! We believe what you are telling us and we want to help!
        If you think having a conversation with your mom and a third party would be helpful and she hasn’t been listening to your grandparents, we do offer conference calling so you can give us a call and we can make a phone call and serve as an advocate for you on the phone with your mom if that is something you want to try.
        We can best help when you reach out by phone or live chat when it is open on our website. We are here 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY and from 4:30-11:30pm CST at the live chat button on our website. Please reach out if you need any resources or would like to talk more about your situation. Your safety is our priority. Best of luck in this really difficult situation!
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Is there a way for a none relative parent get in trouble for trying to protect a miner from a abusive home.

Comment

• ccsmod2
            ccsmod2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for contacting National Runaway Safeline. We are sorry to hear that a minor is being abused in their home. If the minor is in immediate danger, you could contact 911. If you would like to options or reporting the abuse and information on how to transfer custody, Child Help (1-800-422-4453) is a great resource. If the minor leaves their home without their parent’s permission, there is a chance the adult they are staying with could get in trouble for harboring a runaway. Please feel free to contact us via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat if you would like to discuss more details about what is going on with the minor. We hope that this information helps.
            Best of luck !
            - NRS

My sons friend's grandma is in poor health and always kicking her out. She asked her to leave and reportwd her as a runaway. She said she didnt want her back. What can i do to become her legal Guardian

Comment

Reply: My sons friend's grandma

Hello,

Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
            It seems there is a lot that your son’s friend is faced with right now and you’re wanting to find a way to help them.
            A minor that has been put out of their home by the parent or guardian could be seen as neglect and considered abuse.
            Being abused is not her fault. She does not deserve to have this happen.
            There are laws to protect minors against abuse. If she or you would like to file an abuse report you may do so by contacting Child Help USA at: 1-800-422-4453
            They may also have information on how to become a foster parent

NRS can also assist with filing a child abuse report and assist with trying to locate a safe emergency shelter.
            It’s great that you are offering your support and concern, especially since this time is probably quite difficult for them.
            We are here as support to help both you and your friend through this challenging time.
            Having a space to vent and explore options may often bring out a solution previously not thought of.
            We can best help by phone or chat. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
            Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We’re here to listen and to help and hope you or your friend can reach out soon.

Take care,
            NRS
            Last edited by ccsmod4; 09-28-2017, 03:21 AM.

Comment

What if maybe legal guardian which is not my parent doesn’t want custody of me and she’s trying to send me back with my mom but I don’t want to go back over there due to the living conditions and I run away can I get in trouble because I really don’t wanna I back there

Comment

• ccsmod2
                ccsmod2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline. We are not legal experts, so we cannot say for sure what will happen. From what we know, running away is not illegal so you can't get in trouble unless you have a previous criminal record. If you decide to runaway, your guardian has the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Although running away is not illegal, if you decide to stay with a friend they could get charged with harboring a runaway. You could contact Child Protective Services or the police if your legal guardian returns you back to your mom. You could also ask your legal guardian if they would allow you to stay with another family member or close friend. Please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

I am a 17 year old girl I’ve lived with my aunt for 7 years of my life she is my legal guardian. I want to move out but she says she’ll “call the cops” and they’ll make me come home also she has guardianship over me till I’m 18.. So does that mean I can’t move out? And that the cops would bring me back home?

Comment

• ccsmod16
                ccsmod16 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi there, thanks for reaching out to us today! It sounds like you are in a really stressful situation at home. We are here to help!

As far as running away, if you leave your home before you are a legal adult (18 in most states) , your parents can let the police know you are gone and if the police find you, they usually take you back home. Now, not all police stations will take a report for a 17 year old. If you want you can call out to your local department and ask anonymously how they handle runaways at 17. You can also call us here 24/7 (1-800-RUNAWAY) and we can call out on your behalf or with you and ask how they handle things. It is a possibility that the police will accept a report and if one is filed and you are found by police, they usually take you back home.

We are here 24/7 to better help you directly, talk more in depth about other options and offer local resources.

We are always here to help at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). Best of luck and reach out again any time!

Okay so my sister is 15 and shes been acting out lately. She snuck off with an 18 year old boy for the night, shes started smoking, and god knows what else. She has a history of depression and shes wrote a suicide note before. She wants to live with me and I want her to live with me too, but our parents said no. I'm 20 almost 21 with a stable home and engaged to a 22 year old. My sister is talking about running away since she feels emotionally and mentally abused by our parents. Is there any way that I could become her guardian? We live in Kentucky.

Comment

• ccsmod6
                ccsmod6 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello thank you for contacting the NRS. We are sorry to hear about your sister’s situation.
                You mention her having depression and possibly smoking. If she would like to talk to someone about that she can reach out to NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness to speak about her options for counseling etc. or the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration at 1-877-726-4727. If she is feeling suicidal she can reach out to 911 for immediate assistance or if she would like to talk with a crisis counselor, she can reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1800-273-8255.
                You mention her feeling like she is being emotionally abused at home. If she is looking to report the abuse she can reach out to CPS or she can call in to our hotline and give us some detailed information and we can make the report together on a conference call or for her. She can also reach out to Child Help to make a report as well. They are also a resource to talk about custody options that may be beneficial to you as well. 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
                You or your sister always as the option of calling or catting with us at 1800-RUNAWAY, or 1800runaway.org. We are open 24/7, are confidential and toll free. Take Care.

-NRS

Apparently my daughters friend is a runaway... I heard her talk to her mother and I myself and my husband spoke to the father... the police came and I hope she comes back here so I can get guardianship over her... her father is abusive and both patents are into drugs do I have a chance to get guardiship so she doesn’t be placed in foster carw

Comment

• ccsmod10
                ccsmod10 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out on behalf of your daughter’s friend, we appreciate the support you’re giving her.

It sounds like she’s been going through a really hard time at home. She does have the right to report the abuse and her parent’s usage of drugs to Child Protective Services. We’re not legal experts unfortunately so we’re not sure how getting guardianship over her would go. You can contact Child Help (National Child Abuse Hotline) at (800) 422-4453. They would be more knowledgeable on how the child abuse investigation would go and if there’s any way to get custody over her.

Again, thank you for contacting NRS. We hope the resource we gave you will be helpful. If you’d like to talk more about the youth’s options please don’t hesitate to call into our safeline. We would also appreciate if you passed our information to your daughter’s friend so she can contact us directly.

Best, NRS
            Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X