Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 17 and i want to move in with my friend and his family with my parents permission

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reply: Hi i am 17 and i havent been living with my parents

Hi there,
    Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
    It sounds like you would like to move in with a friend and their family but have some questions about leagally doing so.

In most cases in order to move out of the home you would need your parent or guardians permission to do so. We do not know the status of your guardianship situation but you might consider talking with your parent's or grandmother for some clarity.

We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Hi I’m 17 and am getting my ged I’m have trouble with both my parents can I legally move out without their consent and move in to an apartment in a different state with my friend who is 18?

Comment

• ccsmod15
        ccsmod15 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for reaching out to NRS and for sharing your story. We are sorry to hear that you’re having some issues with your parents and hope that we can provide you with some options.
        As we are not legal expert, we do not have specific knowledge of what laws apply in your home state, and how your destination state’s laws would compare. You could call the non-emergency police department number for both your current and destination local police department to see to what lengths and how they would handle a runaway report. This information can be looked up at https://www.usacops.com/.

It is up to you if you decide to move in with your friend. Some things to consider would be G.E.D. completion, how you would take care of your needs (eating, sleeping, healthcare), and how you would care for your safety during the course of your trip (as well as how you would get there).

Although we are not legal experts, we can try to give a general idea of possible outcomes if you were to run away. If you are considered a minor in your state, you are still under your parents’ guardianship, therefore at any point when you are gone, they are legally within their rights to file a runaway report. Being a runaway is a status offense, and while you would not be charged with a crime, if police came across you, they would probably return you home. They could also potentially press charges against people who took you into their care for “harboring a runaway;” these charges would be misdemeanors, but still criminal offenses.

If you would like to talk about other resources and support, feel free to call our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or use our Live Chat.
        We hope this information was helpful and take care.

Hi i am 17 years old and i am having a really tough time at my house. My parents are really overprotective of me. I haven't got to hang out with my new friends since i moved to my new school about a year ago. My parents ground me for like a week for the most unreasonable things such as simply forgetting to make my bed in the morning. I want to move in with my friend and his family. His family said that it is okay and my parents are some what okay with it, they just wont help me with the process. What papers do i need to fill out? Please help!

Comment

• ccsmod7
        ccsmod7 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like living at home is understandably taking a large toll on you, and you are wanting to move in with a friend. It sounds pretty isolating to not be able to see your friends, and here at NRS we truly want to be a support for you during this difficult time.

It sounds like your friend's parents are okay housing you if your parents are okay with it; which is great. The easiest way you can leave home is with your parent's permission, and that does not require paperwork. We understand that it might be really difficult to get your parent's permission, so you might include a trusted adult in on that conversation such as a grandparent or someone who your parents will listen to. Here at NRS, we have a conference call service if you would like to have a mediated call with your parents. We are not legal experts but we can speak generally about temporary guardianship. Your parents can also give your friend's parents temporary guardianship of you; which would not take away their parental rights. That generally looks like both your parents and your friend's parents signing a temporary guardianship form and having it notarized. We can look for legal aid resources for you if you call or chat us.

We hope this information helps. Please call or chat us if you have more questions or would like to talk through your situation. We are here to listen, here to help.

-NRS

Good morning,
      My husband and I live in California and have been asked by a friend if her daughter who is 17 can stay with us for the rest of her senior year (approximately 9 Months) due to a job she is taking out of town. Are we allowed to do that? I just want to make sure legally we are not doing anything against the law. Her mom is going to give us $250 a month as well for room and board. If something happens to her ( she gets hurt etc) we are legally responsible for her right?

Comment

• ccsmod0
        ccsmod0 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello, thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you and your husband are willing to let a young girl stay with you so that she can be closer to work. It is amazing that you are being kind enough to share your space. You questioned if you are allowed to do so. Yes, if the youth’s family is okay with her staying there, then everything is fine. The only trouble comes is if her parents are not supportive of her leaving. Since they are only letting her live with you and aren’t signing over rights, they would still be legally responsible for her until the age of majority.
        Again, thank you for helping this young woman out. It is very generous of your family to open your home up. If you have any follow up questions please feel free to give us a call 1-800-786-2929
        Best wishes,
        NRS

Hello, I have been having constant arguments with my parents for the past 2 months. The home is not abusive but is hard to live in with my controlling mom. I turn 17 in January of 2019 and have already had 2 friends offer to let me live with them. Even if I don't have parental consent can I move out and move in with them or would there be legal repercussions?

Comment

• ccsmod10
        ccsmod10 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It seems like your mom is taking a toll on your mental health. It's understandable that you're wanting to move out early if you're hitting your limit. It’s great that you were able to find out some information about our hotline. Hopefully we can help.

As a minor (under the age of majority), you aren't able to leave home without your parents’ permission. We aren’t legal experts, but what generally what typically happens if a minor runs away, is that your parents would be able to make a runaway. You can’t be arrested for running away in some cases we’ve heard of police not taking runaway reports on youth who are close to turning 18. A good way to find out exactly what the police protocols are in your city, would be to reach out to your local non-emergency police. You can ask them hypothetical questions about running away.

If you give us a call on our 24/7 fully confidential hotline, at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) we could help answer some of those questions you have and could potentially help you brainstorm a solution to the issues you are having. We also have an online chat service available through our website (www.1800runaway.org) if you don’t feel like calling in to talk on the phone.

Best, NRS

I am 16, I have a runaway charge and if I get another one I got back to djj . When I am 17 , can I get charged as a runaway if I leave my parents home without permission . I have a stable home I can go to and I’m going to get a job .

Comment

• ccsmod3
        ccsmod3 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there, thanks for contacting National Runaway Safeline. It seems like you’re dealing with a difficult matter here. Please be mindful that we are not legal experts here at NRS but, strive to give you the most accurate information to be helpful for you. If you would like more concrete information regarding your current circumstance and the legal aspects of it, it is best you contact a local legal service, which we would be able to look into and see what is available where you are located. In general, you are still considered a youth and under the supervision of your parents/legal adults. So, they have authority until you are an adult to make some decisions, including where you live. In some cases, at 17, parents may not choose to pursue a runaway report and not actively have authorities locate you to bring you home. However, that would depend on your personal situation and the decision your parents would make regarding that. With you already having a runaway charge, there may be consequences if you choose to run away again, especially if there is a court order related to it. It may be best to contact a case worker or social worker if you have one and communicate your issue at hand to determine what the consequences could be. We know that may seem a bit difficult and this is something you may not want to communicate to authorities due to any possible risks, but, they would be able to provide definite information about it if you choose to contact. Also, you mentioned you would have a stable home to go to and your plans to get a job. Those are awesome goals. You deserve to be in a stable environment and you are more than willing to work if you’d like. Depending on who you are staying with, if it is an adult, and if there was not consent given by your parents, there could be some legal risks for who you are planning to stay with especially with you already having a runaway charge and them housing you. By all means, you should make the best decision for yourself and your safety. If there are things going on in the home that compromises that, there may be support and resources for you. We would love to talk to you further to discuss what some of those are. Please, feel free to give us a call at 1800-RUNAWAY or chat with us live by visiting 1800runaway.org. Best of luck to you and we hope to hear from you soon.

Hey, I’m 17 and living in California. My parents are emotionally abusive and I need to get out! I have a boyfriend I could live with, and his parents see no issue with me moving in, but my parents are old fashioned and think I shouldn’t live with him unless I’m married to him. Obviously they won’t give their consent. Can I legally move in with him and his family without my parents consent? I heard California laws are different than most states. Thanks! - Need Out

Comment

• ccsmod10
        ccsmod10 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,

Thanks so much for contacting us, it takes a lot of courage to reach out and share your story. It must be really hard to live into a home with so much tension. No one should be emotionally abused and you deserve to live in a peaceful home

We’re not legal experts here at NRS, but in the state of California the age of majority (adulthood) is 18 so you will be considered a minor until you turn 18. It’s great to hear that your boyfriend and his family support you. If you do opt to leave your home your parents can file a runaway report, which is essentially a missing person report. Running away is a status offense; this means that it isn’t illegal, but it’s something you can’t do while still a minor. If you go to stay at your boyfriend’s house without prior permission from your parents, your boyfriend (depending on his age) or his parents could be charged with harboring a runaway, which is a misdemeanor. Penalties for harboring a runaway vary from state to state, police officer to officer, and how your parents view the situation.

If you’d like to go over what’s going on in depth, or if you’d like to explore other options that you may have available to you, please don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. You can also chat us by clicking on the “CHAT” button on top of our homepage. We’re open 24/7 and here to listen and support you in any way we can.

All the best,
        NRS

Hi I am 17 I got into some bad stuff but I was quitting and my mom found all of the stuff before I got the chance to throw it away and sent me to the hospital and ever since I've been home she has treated me like ******** and took my phone which I bought myself with the money I worked for and also my car which she is planning on giving to my sister even tho I bought it and I can't talk to or hang out with any of my friends unless I'm at school and I'm literally miserable and I feel like since I'm miserable I'm not gonna be determined to do anything including school work and I need to move out but I'm only 17 is it possible without my friend who offered to let me live with her get in trouble and can my mom bring me back home by calling the police? I need out

Comment

hi i'm 17 iv'e been going through some stuff with may parents for 6 years now and would like to leave and move in with my friends and her family without my parents permission would that legally be allowed?

Comment

• ccsmod15
          ccsmod15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,
          It sounds like you’re dealing with a lot at home, and it’s great that you reached out.
          We are not legal experts, but we can discuss a little of how it typically works. Typically, running away is not a crime but a status offense. This means that if police were to pick you up, they would return you to your parents’ home.
          There are often other factors in play that could change how things work for you. For instance, in some states, police won’t bother re-homing a young person who is almost a legal adult. In most states, that is age 18. That can be up to local police departments or even individual police officers to determine when and how to enforce those laws.
          When you live with an adult, like your friend’s parents, they can sometimes be guilty of a crime called “harboring a runaway” if they let you stay with them. It’s pretty rare that this crime gets charged, especially when you’re closer to 18 like you are. But it could be a risk you want to consider.
          If you have other questions, you might want to call your local police department and ask them how they handle situations like yours. If you prefer, you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY and we can call them for you. If you have any other questions, feel free to call us or start an online chat with us. We’re here 24/7, and we’re ready to listen and help however we can.

hi i live in South Carolina and i'm 17 year old senior,i'm desperately wanting to move out,because i have no privacy,i can only watch tv,i cant have electronics in my room,i cant play video games,i cant do anything i want to do,and my stepdad keeps telling me that when i turn 18 im out of the house,and im fed up with it,im to the point where i have chest pains everytime something escaltes between me and him and i have no job,car,permit,or money,a friend offered me a place to stay if i move or get kicked out,and ive told my parents i want a job,but my mom said focus on school,heard it multiple times,i feel like im in a living hell,i cant take it anymore,its stressing me out to the point i dont give a damn anymore me and my stepdad sometimes get along,i cant deal with living with him anymore,me and my mom are close,and my mom thinks of him a a saving grace,i call bull********,my life was fine after my dad passed then everything went to ******** after my mom met my stepdad,me and him have our good and bad days, and ill admit there have been times ive wanted to beat the hell out of him,but now im to the point where i dont know what to do anymore,and ive tried to build that stepfather-son relationship but it never works,what can i do,and im failing 2 of my classes and my parents dont seem to understand that when i say how can i do the math if i dont know how to do it,and they say study,and i say what is the point of studying if you still dont know how to do it

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like the relationship with your stepdad has been very challenging. It is commendable that you are taking steps like contacting us to seek additional support to cope with the major life changes you face since your birth dad passed. You mention a main issue for you is that your step father has taken away your control of what you can and want to do. Perhaps considering creating an action plan of what you want to do when you get your control back might be a way of reducing stress and regaining your power and self-confidence.

1) Build a Support Team - Focusing of what positive options you have, it sounds like your relationship with you mom and the friends that would allow you to live with them hopefully offers you’re an outlet to vent your concerns.
          2) Set Your Priorities - Another positive is that when you turn 18 is a defined moment where you can take back control of your life. You mention several priorities like getting a job and a driver’s license and providing yourself some independence from your stepfather.
          3) Manage Your Health - Of particular concern is when you mention that you’re suffering from having chest pains. This is something that you should mention to your family or possibly seek out medical attention at school.
          4) Focus on Challenges You Can Control - You raised a flag that you’re having problems at school especially with math. Have you considered looking for tutoring options at school or seeking help from friends on these classes? Getting your high school diploma might be a priority in finding a job and gaining your independence.
          5) Understand Local Youth Resources Available – Obviously you can access resources at school but there might be other youth focused resources in your town or county. These might be able to help you with transitional housing options, building job skills and managing your health concerns. If you wish us to check our data base to see what is available locally if you want to call us at our 24 hour support line.

Hopefully this has given you some pathways to consider on what your next steps might be as you take the steps to independent living. Thanks again for sharing your story on our Forum so others can learn from your process. Again if you want more focused support on your challenges, we are available 24 hours a day at our Safeline at 1-800-Runaway (1-800-786-2929). Best of luck!

im 17 and im having issues at home and im wanting to move in with a friend,i cant handle the stress of living at home anymore,my stepdad keeps saying when i turn 18 im out of the house,i have no job,no car, i dont have my permit,i have no money what can i do

Comment

• ccsmod7
          ccsmod7 commented
          Editing a comment
          Please see our response to your similar post above:

"Thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like the relationship with your stepdad has been very challenging. It is commendable that you are taking steps like contacting us to seek additional support to cope with the major life changes you face since your birth dad passed. You mention a main issue for you is that your step father has taken away your control of what you can and want to do. Perhaps considering creating an action plan of what you want to do when you get your control back might be a way of reducing stress and regaining your power and self-confidence.
          1) Build a Support Team - Focusing of what positive options you have, it sounds like your relationship with you mom and the friends that would allow you to live with them hopefully offers you’re an outlet to vent your concerns.
          2) Set Your Priorities - Another positive is that when you turn 18 is a defined moment where you can take back control of your life. You mention several priorities like getting a job and a driver’s license and providing yourself some independence from your stepfather.
          3) Manage Your Health - Of particular concern is when you mention that you’re suffering from having chest pains. This is something that you should mention to your family or possibly seek out medical attention at school.
          4) Focus on Challenges You Can Control - You raised a flag that you’re having problems at school especially with math. Have you considered looking for tutoring options at school or seeking help from friends on these classes? Getting your high school diploma might be a priority in finding a job and gaining your independence.
          5) Understand Local Youth Resources Available – Obviously you can access resources at school but there might be other youth focused resources in your town or county. These might be able to help you with transitional housing options, building job skills and managing your health concerns. If you wish us to check our data base to see what is available locally if you want to call us at our 24 hour support line.

Hopefully this has given you some pathways to consider on what your next steps might be as you take the steps to independent living. Thanks again for sharing your story on our Forum so others can learn from your process. Again if you want more focused support on your challenges, we are available 24 hours a day at our Safeline at 1-800-Runaway (1-800-786-2929). Best of luck!"

Hi, I'm 17 and I want to move out but my parents won't let me. I'm just tired of all the mental and emotional abuse I am lucky that the physical abuse stopped but I still want to leave. I have a family who is willing to take me in they would make it legal to but the process is long I considered emancipation but that takes about 4-6 months to complete. I would runaway with the family but I don't want them to face criminal charges for taking me in. What should I do?

Comment

Hi there,
          Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on. It seems there is a lot that you are faced with right now and you’re feeling like leaving is one of your only options. It seems you want to know some information on runaway laws.
          While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent permission. If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.
          We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by forum to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
          Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
          If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
          Be safe,
          NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X