Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm 17 and i want to move in with my friend and his family with my parents permission

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 17 and i want to move in with my friend and his family with my parents permission

I am 17 and i moved away from my high school and am currently out of the district, im a sophomore and would like to graduate from that high school my friend has offed for me to live with him and his family who live close to the high school i am gonna look for a job when i get down there i do have my own car to be able to get around and i have my parents permission to move in with them, am i even allowed to do that at 17 and how would i register for school with out a certificate of residency sense i am still under my parents but i live with someone else and what legal things would i have to fill out to be able to do this. also i live in Upstate New York

Hello,
    Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like It sounds like you have already moved out of district with your parents’ permission but have a few question s about getting yourself reenrolled in school. It is great that you have the support not only from your parents but from your friend who is willing to let you live with him and his family. You asked if you are allowed to live apart from your parents and enroll yourself into school. While we are not legal experts to our knowledge if your parents give you permission to live apart from them then you can. Asa far as being able to get yourself back into school in a new district this could be a really good question to ask to your Department of Education. They would be able to tell you what documents, if any that are needed to start this process.
    We want you to know that you are not alone and we will do anything we can to help you with what is going on. If you feel comfortable you can give us a call and one of our trained liner will be happy to assist you.
    Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
    If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.
    We hope to hear from you soon.
    Be safe,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

thank you so much for responding,i have not yet moved out of my parents house i would like to i do have their permission and it would work well for me wanting to go back to my old school, i just didnt know if it was allowed sense im 17 but idk, thanks again

Comment

Hello my name is Jonathon I am a 17 year old senior I am doing online schooling and I am having trouble with my parents. I have been helping my dad with his construction business since I was 8. I have decided to try somthing new and told my dad that I was quieting. It has been 2 weeks since I have quit and he has asked me to help him with work and today I told him I am no longer working with him. This set him off and he decided to take the internet, and the privlige of leaving the house to go to my friend's house. He told me that I would get the internet back when I get a job but told me I could never go anny where tell I moved which is in a year. Is he aloud to do that, I believe that if I so my part with the house chores that I should be aloud to go to my friend's. I don't think he should be able to take that away from me for not working with me. What should I do. I have thought about talking to them about amincipation or setting up some kind of agreement that will allow me to have my freedom. I have even talked to my friend's about seeing if I could move in with them tell I graduate in December. But I don't think my parents will allow me to what can I do. It fills like I'm stuck.

Comment

• ccsmod6
          ccsmod6 commented
          Editing a comment
          First of all, thank you for reaching out to the National Runaway Safeline! It sounds like you have been going through a really tough time so it’s great that you are reaching out to better understand your options.

You mention that you are thinking about emancipation or moving in with your friends. We here at NRS are not legal experts but what we can say is that if you decided to leave home and your legal guardians were not okay with it, they could file a runaway report with the local police. Local police departments handle runaway reports differently. Some police departments may come actively search for you, some may investigate the situation or bring you home, some also may charge your friends’ parents with harboring a runaway. In order to best understand what would happen if you decided to runaway you should contact your local police department and ask them hypothetically and ask how they handle a runaway report once filed.

You also mention that you are interested in the emancipation process. This process varies from state to state and it can take a long time or even be expensive. If you have any questions about it you can give us a call and we can give you a legal aid resource to help answer the questions you have about it. Feel free to call us at anytime for more resources, or additional support for your situation. We are available at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We wish you good luck with everything!

Hi I am 17 and I am still in high school, recently I found out that I have to move with either my dad or grand parents. I am a senior which means I am so close to finishing school, I have a few friends who have offered me to stay with them. I am really considering it, but am I allowed to do so? My parents are separated so would I only need permission from my parent I live with now or both?

Comment

Reply: Hi I am 17 and I am still in high school

Hi there,
          Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

You mentioned wanting to know how you can leave home before turning 18. The easiest way to leave home is with your parent’s permission. We understand that might be challenging, however, maybe there’s another family member, relative, or a family friend who could help to communicate how you’re feeling to your parent’s. The second way is through Child Protective Services if safety is a concern. Lastly, you can also look into emancipation options. In most states you need to be at least 16 to be considered and demonstrate that you can support yourself financially and independently. Emancipation often can be a lengthy process and may even cost some money for court fees. We would be happy to look into legal resources if that’s something you are considering.

Please reach out soon so that we may offer support and resources to you. Our number is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Be safe,

NRS

Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

I'm 17 years old and in 10 months will be 18. I'm having problems at home and my situation from others. My dad is really old and has custody of me and my mom is only allowed supervised visits with me. My dad left me with a good family but i don't really want to be there but if i go to my dad he said he would put me in a foster care. I have caused a lot of problems over the years but I'm almost going to graduate in the next year. They also want me to get out of the things i love to do cause they think it is a problem. I know their trying to help me but i really rather them not.They also play with my head like for example they say don't bring up the past but they bring up my past all the time. Would i be able to stay with my friend until I'm 18 without the police dragging me home. I've heard they would only take me back if i was at risk is this true? Also would get all my own stuff like a cell phone plan, car etc.Would this be a good factor to help me.

Comment

• ccsmod15
              ccsmod15 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you’re in a tricky situation, so it’s great that you’re taking initiative and looking for some support. Sorry to hear that your parents are playing with your head. No one deserves to be treated like that. It can be extremely frustrating not to feel supported when you’re ready for independence and responsibility. It’s perfectly reasonable that you’d have concerns about being moved to foster care, especially when you’ve described your family situation as good. And it’s understandable that, at your age, you don’t want too much help from your parents in spite of their good intentions.
              As for legal information regarding the police, it depends partly on where you are located. In most states, 17 is below the age of majority, or age at which you would legally be considered an adult. If you were to leave your living situation and stay with a friend, your guardian could file a runaway report and the police could return you to them. With your parents’ consent, it might be possible to establish an alternative living arrangement for you with your friend and his family. However, this process can take a fair bit of time, and given that you’re not too far from turning eighteen, it’s worth considering that your own independence isn’t too far off.
              If you have any more question or concerns, or just want someone to talk to, don’t hesitate to call our hotline at 1-800-786-2929. We’re available 24/7 and totally confidential. Best of luck to you.

Hi im 17 I'm having problems with both my parents right now because of the divorce and I'm feeling comfortable getting a break and staying at my friend's for the weekend what should I do

Comment

Reply: Hi im 17 I'm having problems with both my parents

Hello,
              Thank you for writing to us here at the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
              We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email or bulletin for assistance. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.

Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
              If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to or seek emergency assistance immediately.
              We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
              NRS

Comment

Hi I am currently 17 years old and i will be turning 18 in 4 months. My parents are moving to another town and they gave me permission to live with my friend and stay in my home town. However, with there permission i still dont know how to take legal actions into getting my drivers license, opening a bank account, or staying in my high school if i dont have my parents signature. Is there a way i can get around all of this? I know there is emancipation but since im turning 18 in 4 months, would it be to late? i live in California.

Comment

• ccsmod7
                  ccsmod7 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi there, thanks for reaching out.

Sounds like you have gained permission to move out at 17, but are looking to become a legal adult before turning 18. Unfortunately, the only way to become a legal adult before 18 in California is through the longer court process of emancipation. Since emancipation is a long process and you only have 4 months until you turn 18, chances are you would turn 18 before you could get emancipated. If you are unable to enroll in school you might see if your parents would give your friend or their parents temporary guardianship of you to help you enroll in school. You might also reach out to your school to see what your options for enrollment are since you are living in an alternative living arrangement. Your school might have ways to enroll you as an independent or homeless youth.

We know this is probably not what you wanted to hear. Please do not hesitate to call or chat us if you have more questions or if you would like to talk through your situation and help with brainstorming your options. We are here 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

Best,

NRS

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/we_care_what_you_think.

Hi I am 17 and I have a girlfriend that is 17 and she is doing terrible and has a situation that is terrible but it is not something you could call CPS on but she is on the verge of suicide and I can’t have her attempt anything but she wouldn’t be able to get help with it because her parents don’t believe in depression and I was wondering if she would legally be able to move out of her house if her parents kicked her out and stay with me and my mother? I can move out and stay with other family if she would not be able to live at my house while I am still living here, but she cannot stay where she is now and has already been kicked out once and was staying with a friend but the school found out and called the cops on her father and they charged him with child neglect and abandonment but that was a while ago and if they legally said she could leave and she wanted to would she be able to?

Comment

• ccsmod2
                  ccsmod2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand that it takes courage to seek help. We are sorry to hear about the way your girlfriend is being treated at home. You mentioned that she may be on the verge of committing suicide. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255) is a great resource to call for support. In most states, a person must be 18 before they can leave home without permission. If she decide to live with you without her parents consent, they have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find her they may return her home. Although running away isn't illegal, if she were to stay with you your family could get charged with harboring a runaway. However, if her family gives her permission to leave home, she would be able to. If you have any other questions or just want to talk, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: We care what you think

I am 17, and I live in Virginia. I do not want to continue to live with my parents because my dad degrades my mother and nit picks at every action my mother and I make. He is like a light switch, one minute he is a normal dad, and the next he is yelling at one of us because I ordered fries with my meal or I don't speak loud enough. I would feel safer staying with my best friend, who goes to the same school as me, but I fear that because my mom is dedicated to my dad that she would go along with anything my dad says and tell the police that I just ran away, and my best friend's mother would get in trouble. I just don't want to live in constant anxiety because I have to hide who I am from my own father.

Comment

• ccsmod2
                  ccsmod2 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for reaching out to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand that it takes courage to seek help. We are very sorry to hear about the way your dad treats you and your mother. It sounds like you are thinking about leaving home and moving with your best friend. If you decide to runaway, your parents have the right to file a runaway report. With a runaway report, if the police find you they would return you home. Running away isn't illegal but if you decide to stay with your friend, their mother could get charged with harboring a runaway. You could try asking your parents if they would allow you to stay with another family member. Another option that you have is contacting Child Protective Services if you feel unsafe at home. You may also want to consider looking into emancipation laws for your state. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to contact us directly via our 24 hour crisis hotline (1-800-786-2929), email, or live chat.

We hope this response was helpful! We’d love to hear from you about your experience using our crisis email/forum. Your feedback plays an important role in helping us improve our services to youth and families. Please click the link to fill out our survey: We care what you think

Hi my name is destiny im 17 and i live in new york city im still in high school but i need to move out of my legal guardian's house we get into problem almost every day i almsot killed my self one time
                but i went to live with my dad and nothing got better he get way to mad if i loss something and he threats to kick me out ever day i want to know if i can move out i was able to live with my boyfriend and his family but im afraid my family will call tge cops on them what do i do i need help now

Comment

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We're sorry to hear about all that you have been facing and want you to know that you deserve to feel safe and happy in your home. You also mentioned wanting to leave your home before you are 18. We are not legal experts but generally speaking, if you leave while still 17, your parents could file a runaway report and you could be returned home. There could also be legal consequences for whomever you stay with for what is called harboring a minor. One thing you can do is reach out to your local police to inquire how they handle runaway reports for 17 year olds. Some cities and departments treat them differently because a 17 year old is so close to becoming a legal adult. The way to get the most accurate information would be to call your local police non-emergency number and anonymously inquire about their practices. If you need help finding this number or you want to walk through other options with a liner, we can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

Best,

NRS

Comment

Hi I am 17 and I haven’t been living with my parents sense I was about 14 my mom was getting social security for me until recently I moved in with my grandmother, and I didn’t know about that money until she told me so I made my grandma my payee thinking she could take care of my expenses and get me to school and other appointments as needed she works night and sleeps in the day so it isn’t convenient for her or I and she doesn’t provide all support I am needing so I have been talking to some friends about moving in and their parents and mine are ok with it I live in Montana and don’t know the law on this subject please help thank you.
                    Last edited by ccsmod4; 09-06-2018, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    x
                    Working...
                    X