No announcement yet.

Missouri moving out at 17

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't get along with my mother at home. We are always in fights and I can't take it anymore I'm 17 and a half. I was wondering if I walked out of the house and went to my grandmas house in illions would she be able to do anything because I can't take it much anymore in this house or I'm going to lose my mind. Please help

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi there,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us here at NRS! It sounds like you are in a tough situation with your mom and we are here to listen and see how we can best help. We can offer some plans and steps to take in here but, if those don’t look to fit your situation or if you want to talk further about them don’t hesitate to reach out to us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We are 24/7 and confidential and would love to hear from you again after this post.

Firstly, we aren’t legal experts but, we can give some general info about leaving home. Leaving home isn’t considered illegal per say but, considered a status offense rather. This means if you leave you can’t be arrested or put in jail. Your mom would probably call out to the local non-emergency police and file something called a runaway report. This is just a document saying you left home with information on you and where she thinks you went. From there the police would look for you and if you are found they would just return you to your mom. This can vary because some police departments don’t take runaway reports for 17 year olds. It really does depend on each police station but, you can always reach out to the local non-emergency police and ask hypothetical questions on if they take runaway reports for 17 year olds. If they do make you uncomfortable or start asking personal info you always can hang up. We can also call out with you on the line to them if that makes you more comfortable. These are just some things that can happen but, do include some risks if you do decide to leave home for your grandma’s house.

Something else you may want to think about is trying to convey to your mom about how you feel and how these fights have been affecting you. You don’t have to do this alone you can always bring in a third party as it can help your mom see from an outsider’s perspective. This can be a friend, a trusted adult, or even your grandma. Again, this is just another option you can think about.
      We are always here to talk about some of these options or some others too. If you want to make that call to the police station we can always help you with that as well. This is a really good first step to take and we can’t wait to hear back from you!

Best, NRS

I'm 17 in 2 days and everyone in my house hates me and just walks all over me and I never have a say in my house about anything what so ever me and my
    father and my step mom are always fight and they would rather get a dog then go and look a car with there oldest son and it kills me to know that the care more about that dump dog then me i can literally leave the house and they won't care unless they need me to do stupid stuff for them and I can't live with my real mom because she's a piece of ******** but I have a friend that's mom is willing to let me stay at there house and they would be fine with it

Comment

• ccsmod10
      ccsmod10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello there, thanks so much for reaching out today.

Sounds like living at home has been really stressful and toxic. You don’t deserve to be treated in the way you’ve described.

If your mom allows you to move out and move in with your friend’s family that should be okay, legally speaking. If she ends up giving you a hard time about leaving, there may be other options. There’s also an organization, called Child Help (800) 422-4453, that helps youth find ways to get their custody transferred to a safe adult (like your friends parents) or family members.

It’s very understandable that you need to get out of your home from what you’ve explained. If you end up leaving, without parental permission, we can explain what usually happens. When it comes to running away, normally when you leave home before the age of 18 you would be considered a runaway. Running away is not illegal but it is considered a status offense. What this means is that you won't be arrested for running away. Your mom could file a runaway report for you with the police and the police would be looking for you. If the police found you they would take you back home. It would not go on your permanent record and you would not get arrested. Since we’re not legal experts, we always offer to call with youth, to their local police and find out what happens in a runaway situation. We can also find out what would happen if you refused to go back home.

If you do decide to leave home, please keep our number in mind. You are not alone in this, and we’re open 24/7. If you call or chat us, we can talk over your situation and try to brainstorm additional options for you.

NRS

Is it legal to stay at a friends house if your parents dont want you to, at 17? Im turning 17 in april. My family fights a lot and my mom forces me to take medicine that gives me really bad side effects. My dad emotioannly abuses me and has a history of physically abusing me. My mom makes me really mad a lot and puts me down a lot. I hate it and I want to live a better life and I feel like moving in with a friend would be the best option for me so far.

My friends are saying the age you can move out is 17. Is that true?

Comment

• ccsmod0
      ccsmod0 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like living at home is negatively affecting your mental and physical health. You mentioned that you are being emotionally and you use to be physically abused by your mother and father. We want you to know that you have the right to report what has been happening to Child Protective Services 1-800-422-4453. Child Help is a national hotline that can help connect you with your local child protection agency. You do not deserve to be treated the way you are and deserve to be treated with love and respect.
      We are sorry to be the barriers of bad news but the only ways that we know of to legally leave your parents’ home before the age of majority is to either get your guardians permission, become emancipated or have child protective services remove your parents’ rights. If you are hearing something else from others we would strongly encourage you to talk it over first with your local non-emergency police. They would know best about how runaway reports are handled. If you would like to talk more about these options you are always welcome to give us a call anytime. 1-800-786-2929
      Best of Luck,
      NRS

Can a child move with a relative at 16 in Missouri?

Comment

• ccsmod6
      ccsmod6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us tonight. It sounds like you have some questions about the rights of a 16 year old in Missouri. That is a good question and hopefully we can give you some information that can help you out.

So in Missouri the age of majority is 18 years old. This means that if a youth leaves their home without their guardian's permission their guardian could file a runaway report for them with their local police department. This is even if the youth goes to another relative's house. Running away is not illegal but it is considered a status offense. This means that the youth would not get into legal trouble most likely, but the police would have to take them back home if they found them.

If the youth wants to live with another relative the youth and relative can talk about the relative going to court in order to try and gain custody of the youth. In order for this to happen the relative would likely have to get in contact with a lawyer.

If you need anything else please don't hesitate to reach out to us again! We are 24/7 so someone will always be here to answer and help in the best way we can. You can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY.

I'm 17, But turn 18 in february, so in 5 months I turn 18. I AM moving out with or without my parents consent. from my understanding Since i'm already 17 I can not be considered a runaway? Correct?

Comment

• ccsmod2
      ccsmod2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for reaching out to National Runaway Safeline and sharing a bit about what is going on. It take a lot of courage to seek help. It sounds like you are wanting to move out of your parent’s home. Having a plan about where you are going to go if you decide to leave home and how you would survive is essential. In most states, the legal age to move out without your parent’s consent is 18. However, some states do not accept runaway reports on 17 year olds because they are so close to being 18. One way that you can find out for sure whether you would be considered a runaway would be to call your local police non- emergency number. If you aren’t comfortable calling the police on your own, we can call for you. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to give us a call (1-800-786-2929) our crisis hotline is 24 hours.
      Good Luck !
      -NRS

Moving Out at 17?

Hi, I am 16 years old right now and wanting to move in with my boyfriend when I turn 17 and he is 19. Us moving out would be mutually beneficially because he is getting kicked out by the time we both want to move in and I want to leave because both of my parents are alcoholics and my dad is considered abusive, though, he has already been arrested and not charged with anything so there is not much I can do there. I know I could move in with him if I had my mother's permission, however, I am not 100% sure I could get that. I have heard from multiple sources that I could move out as long as long as he is 18. I even had one of my friends tell me I could move out and the police couldn't bring me home, because she moved out at 17! I live in Missouri and I know it varies from state to state but I really want to leave my situation and my boyfriend not homeless. Thanks!

Comment

Hello there,

Thanks for reaching out and posting on our form. It sounds like you are trying to navigate through a plan which includes moving out at 17. Please know we are not here to judge you or tell you which decision to make. Instead we are available to listen, provide support, and we can even go over pros and cons if that would be helpful to you. Although we are no legal experts, our general understanding is that some states such as Missouri view the age of 17 as more of a gray area. Often this means that the police simply may choose not to take as much action for 17 year-olds. However, it may not mean you are able to enter legal contracts (i.e. a lease). It sounds like this could be the reason you heard you can move out as long as your boyfriend is 18 so he can legally sign a lease.

You also mentioned both of your parents are alcoholics and your dad is considered abusive. It sounds like you are dealing with a difficult and complicated home life and we give you credit at least trying to do something even if your dad was not charged. One resource you might find helpful if you are open to talking to others in similar situations is Alateen, https://al-anon.org/newcomers/teen-corner-alateen/. You also have a right to report any abuse to your local Department of Social Services: Children’s Division up until your 18th birthday. It is understandable to be hesitant since it sounds like you didn’t have luck with the authorities taking action before. Still, we are here to help you make a report if you are interested. You can also visit https://dss.mo.gov/cd/can.htm for more information on reporting abuse.

We invite you to our Live Chat to continue talking about your situation and plan. Best of luck!

-NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I was wondering if I have consent from my mother and the text from my father kicking me out at 16, would I be able to legally live on my own in 6 months when I turn 17?

My mom is willing to allow me to do so as long as it is legal and no laws are being broken. I have temporarily moved in with her to get away from my father who kicked me out and then got upset when I refused to move back in with him a week ago. While living with her I'm working on getting my GED, so that I am able to get a full-time job to be able to be financially secure. I'm also saving up for an emergency fund and the required payments needed in order to move into a home (First/ Last months rent, deposit, turning on utilities) once I have turned 17. I just need to know what paperwork (if any) needs to be done, and what would my possible limitations be? My mom says that she'll sign any papers that need to be signed by minor, like a lease, as long as me living on my own is legal. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

Reply: I was wondering if I have consent

Hello,
          Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.
          We appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
          Some situations can be disappointing and even upsetting thus making things uncertain about what to do or where to turn.
          We understand and we want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time.
          Unfortunately Missouri does not have a formal statute for the emancipation of a minor but a minor at least 16 years old may be considered emancipated when he/she meets the following conditions:
          1. Married with the consent of parent or legal guardian
          2. Has been declared emancipated by the court
          3. Is on active duty in the armed forces
          4. Has written consent of emancipation from parent or legal guardian
          Here is a list of legal resources if you would like to get more specific information about emancipation in state of Missouri.
          YOUTH SERVICES
          Lawson Phone number: 816-296-3571
          Poplar Bluff Phone number: 573-840-9540
          Springfield Phone number: 417-895-6485
          St. Louis Phone number: 314-340-6904

If you would like to talk more about your situation Give NRS a call.
          Again tell us what it is you would like us to help you with and we will be happy to explore some options with you.
          Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or www.1800Runaway.org.

NRS is here to listen and here to help.
          We hope to hear from you soon.

Take care,
          NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
          [email protected] (Crisis Email)
          1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
          https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

I am 17 and live in Kansas, if I leave and go to Missouri and get reported as a run away would I be taken back to kansas to my legal guardian?

Comment

• ccsmod0
              ccsmod0 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello, Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you want to know if you left your state would you be taken back if you were reported as a runaway. We want you to know that we are not legal experts but yes, to our knowledge you would be taken back home if you were found by the police. If you would like to talk more about this you are welcome to give us a call anytime. We can also make a phone call out to the police with you to find out more exact information about running away. 1-800-786-2929
              We wish you the best of luck,
              NRS

Hello there. I am 17 and will be 18 in August. My dad has given me so many mental issues (chronic depression, anxiety, self esteem issues Etc) and I would like to leave his house but he tells me everyday that I am not legally allowed to leave until I am 18 and out of high school. Is he right or am I allowed to leave before then without his permission?

Comment

• ccsmod6
              ccsmod6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. It sounds like you’re going through a lot at home to the point where you want to leave. Running away is a serious decision and we’re glad you reached out to us to figure out what your options are at this point.
              To answer your question, you are allowed to leave without your father’s permission and you will be considered a runaway if your father files a runaway report. Being a runaway is a status offense which basically means it isn’t illegal, it just means if the police find you they will take you home to your father. However, since you are 17, some police precincts will not take a runaway report that is made since you are close to the age of 18. You could call your local police department to find out whether they would file a runaway report in your case.
              Another option available to you could be emancipation but the requirements differ from state to state and since you are at the age of 17 already and the emancipation process would takes several months as well as require a lawyer that may not be the best option.
              It sounds like you are under a lot of stress and are dealing with a lot right now and talking to someone if you already aren’t is always something that can help like a trusted friend or family member about what you are going through. We are also more than happy to talk to you about your situation and can help you come up with more options and a safe plan of action. Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat which is open every day from 4:30p to 11:30p CST. We’re here to listen, here to help.
              Regards,
              NRS

I'm 17, I'm not happy living with my mother and I want to move in with my boyfriend, who I am engaged to. I don't want my mother to know where I am. I will still go to school, and make sure my boyfriend and I can support eachother. In Missouri, I have been told, it is legal to move out at 17. So that it what I plan to do.

Comment

• ccsmod7
              ccsmod7 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi there,

We’re sorry to hear that you’re unhappy living with your mother. Thank you for reaching out to us for help in figuring out a safe way to get out of that situation, and for prioritizing your own health and wellbeing.

It sounds like you’re planning on moving out with your boyfriend, and want to know how to go about that without your mother knowing. We’re not legal experts here, but from our understanding the age of majority in Missouri is 18, which would likely mean it is not legal to move out without guardian consent at 17, and you would likely be considered a runaway. However, to confirm whether or not moving out would be legal in your case, one option is to call out to the police non-emergency line for your county and ask what their policies are regarding minors moving out. If you’d like, you can call us at 1 (800) RUNAWAY (786-2929), and we can find that police number for you and call out with you or for you to find that information. Another option might be finding a legal aid resource for youth for your area, as those resources could provide specific legal information and help. If you call us, or use our chat when it is open at https://www.1800runaway.org/, we can search and find legal aid numbers for you.

If moving out at 17 is not legal in Missouri, then you would be considered a runaway. While running away is not a crime, it is a status offense, meaning it is illegal due to age. As a runaway, your mother would have the legal right to file a runaway report, call to your school and request information on your attendance, and attempt to get police to force you to return home. If you’d like to discuss in more detail what moving out might mean if you would be legally considered a runaway, you can always call us or use our chat. We’re here 24/7 to help you work through your options, develop a plan, and make sure you can stay safe.

Thanks again for reaching out. We wish you the best of luck,

NRS

I'll be 17 next February. I'm transgender and my parents are not supportive in any way and try to ignore it as best as they can. We often argue over little things as well and so much more. However, I don't think they'd want me to go anywhere without their consent.

​​​​​​I'm hoping to move to Michigan with a friend of mine who I've known for years but I'd rather not tell my parents incase they'd try to stop me.. Would I be forced back to live with my parents?

Comment

• ccsmod5
              ccsmod5 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi, thanks for reaching out. It sounds like you’re going through a difficult time at home with your parents and it’s brave of you to reach out for help. We’re so sorry to hear that your parents aren’t supportive of your gender identity. You deserve to be supported and treasured. You are so important and your well-being matters. If you ever feel like you want to talk about that, you might consider reaching out to the Trans Lifeline: 1-877-565-8860.
              You mentioned that you’re hoping to move to Michigan with a friend of yours. There are a few considerations here. While we aren’t legal experts, we can speak in generalities. First, if you choose to leave home without permission, your parents would have the right to file a runaway report. If the police are able to locate you, they will likely return you home. Any adult who houses you might be charged with harboring a runaway, though this is a gray area. If you’re able to get permission from your parents, then you should be able to go to Michigan with no issues. Once you are of legal age (which varies from state to state, though in most states this is 18 years old), then you are free to go with or without permission.
              If you’d like to speak about your situation more specifically, please feel free to reach out to us at 1-800-786-2929. Our lines are open 24/7, so someone is always here to listen, brainstorm options, or help you locate resources. Best of luck to you.
              Sincerely,
              NRS

So I am in Missouri right now and I am 17. My parents texted me and said that they don’t want me near them at all. And they are jn Colorado. I don’t really have anything to live for in Missouri. I have no family there and I can’t get a job or anything. But I am wanting to move to Colorado and stay with my really close friend and her family. They said that it is okay. Would I go to juvey for that because I am not 17? Or would I be okay since I have a friend and family I am staying with?

Comment

• ccsmod10
              ccsmod10 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey there,

Thanks for contacting us here. From what you’ve described, you are currently based in Missouri and that your parents live in Colorado. Right now, they’ve said that they don’t want you living with them at home. Since you do not have resources or a support network in Missouri, you hope to return to your home state of Colorado and stay with your close friend and her family. They are willing to help and you’d like to explore that option, but want to make sure you can’t get in trouble.

It sounds like you’re in a difficult situation. We’re glad you reached out here on the forum to get some support. We aren’t legally trained so we wouldn’t be able to tell you what is specifically going to happen in Colorado, but we can share a few pieces of basic information.

It’s not illegal for you to runaway but it is a status offense; a status offense is something that you can’t do because you are under the age of 18. Your parents could decide to file a runaway report with the police at some point, although it doesn’t seem likely from what you’ve shared.

In most cases, the police will not actively search for runaway youth but will detain youth if contact is made and contact a parent or legal guardian to arrange for youth to return home. In general, runaway youth are not arrested or put on probation although the law may vary from state.

While it’s great that your friend and her family want to provide you with a safe place to stay, unfortunately, we can’t tell you what would happen if you were to go there. It is possible that your friend’s parents may get in trouble for harboring a runaway or contributing to the delinquency of a minor if your parents did choose to file a runaway report.

For the most accurate information, you can contact your local nonemergency police hotline and ask about the consequences of running away and what age a minor can leave home legally.
              If you would like to talk more about your options in terms of shelters and other resources, please give us a call. We are completely confidential and are available 24 hours a day at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). You can also live chat with someone at
              http://www.1800runaway.org 7 days a week from 4:30 PM-11:30 PM (CST).

Just the fact that you wrote in to us shows that you are trying to gain knowledge to make the best decisions for yourself and your future. That’s a great first step. We wish you the best of luck. Remember, you’re never alone.

Hello, I am 17 and in 9 months I'll be 18 but every night and day is a running argument and fighting and I feel trap in my home, yet I've been out of my house living with my best friend for a month now and I'm making money and have have food stamp and I'm helping out my friend with money. I've looked up some laws but I don't understand what I am reading. I want to be on my own and fight the world the hard way because it's helping me accomplish more things in life. But they feel like I'm not strong enough and I'm weak because I'm dignosed with depression and my dad is worried about me I'm safe and happy and working too make it through life but I don't want to go back home. What do I do? And can I say I'm not going back home and can they do anything it? Im in a safe environment they love me and take care of me and feed me and i feel happy. But when I'm at home I feel trap and aniexty and depression cause I sit in a room with nothing to accomplish. What can I say to my dad to tell him how I feel? I'm in Missouri and I just want to know where I stand at?
            Thank you.

Comment

• ccsmod5
              ccsmod5 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello,
              Thanks for writing to us. It sounds like you’re going through a challenging situation at home and you don’t deserve to feel trapped at home. It must be difficult constantly arguing and fighting, but it’s great that you have a supportive friend who’s allowed you to stay with them for some time away. You did the right thing to reach out and ask for help while you’re exploring your options.
              Because the age of majority in Missouri is 18, your legal guardians have the right to file a runaway report with law enforcement if they choose to. If they did, and law enforcement was able to find you, they would be required to return you to your legal guardians. As soon as you turn 18 years old, this will no longer be the case.
              You mentioned that you were diagnosed with depression and that this is related to your dad’s concern about your being away from home. If you feel comfortable speaking to your dad about how you honestly feel when you’re at home, and how you feel more comfortable and happier when you’re staying with your friend, this could possibly be an opportunity to explain to your dad why being away might be something that’s better for you.
              It would be completely understandable if you didn’t feel comfortable having that conversation by yourself and if that’s the case, it might be helpful to ask someone you trust, like a guidance counselor or a therapist, to advocate for you by reaching out to your dad or to facilitate a conversation with both of you at the same time. We also have a service at NRS where one of our liners can set up a conference call with you and your dad, if he agrees.
              It took a lot of courage to take a step in this direction of seeing what your options are. We’re glad you reached out to us. If you would like to talk to us about your situation or ask about our conference call service, you can call 1-800-RUNAWAY or 1-800-786-2929 anytime of the day and we’d be happy to talk it through with you. Best of luck!
          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X