Missouri moving out at 17

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need some advice

I am a runaway from the state of Missouri. I have been looking up if I could get my GED. Once I get my GED, I would like to join the military. I am 17. If I get my GED would it bypass a search? And the I have the military minor signature covered if I can get my GED but, if I was a missing persons would the military turn me away or could they waiver it? I am not in the state I ran away from but, the state that I'm residing is a status offense state though. I've done alot of research but, I couldn't find all the answers. If I tried one of these, I don't want to be sent back to custody. Could you help me with some answers? I'd appreciate it.

Comment

Re: I need some advice

Hello there,

Thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like you have left your family and you are trying to join the military at 17. We are not legal experts here at NRS, especially not with military affairs, so you might try to ask a recruiter anonymously or a legal aid group these questions. If you call or chat us we can provide you with legal aid resources.

We do know that if your guardian reported you as a runaway, you would have been entered into a national database as a runaway. So if the military does a background check on you, they can see that you are listed as a runaway even though it is just a status offense. We do not know if that would disqualify you since you mentioned that you have the signature needed for military emancipation taken care of, and again we are not experts on military policies. It is possible that if you are found as a runaway before you turn 18, you would be returned to your guardian. Since you mentioned you are not in the same state you ran away from, there is also a possibility that you would be detained until your guardian can reach you.

It’s great that you are researching getting your GED. Unfortunately, getting your GED typically would not nullify a runaway report for you if one was filed. Occasionally police will not return 17 year old runaways home if they are close to 18, have finished school or gotten their GED, and are in a safe environment. That would be dependent on the actions of the local police department from where you left, or if officers from a different department discover you as a runaway.

We’re sorry we weren’t able to answer all your questions, but hopefully this information helps inform you some. We strongly encourage you to call or chat us if you would like to talk over your situation and brainstorm your options. We also have shelter and legal aid resources if you ever need.

Stay safe,

NRS
      Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
      [email protected] (Crisis Email)
      1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
      https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Run away in missouri

My girlfriend is 16 she doesnt like her home situation and wants to move in with me. What kind of legal issues could we face?

Comment

Re: Missouri moving out at 17

Hey there!

Thank you for reaching out to us at the National Runaway Safeline. We’re sorry to hear that your girlfriend is having trouble at home. That can be really stressful.

There are two things in terms of legal issues about her moving in with you that you might want to consider. The first one is that your girlfriend might incur a runaway charge. Running away is not illegal but it is a status offense. Her parents/legal guardians may file a runaway report with their local police station and if she is found she will be brought back to them. The juvenile court system may get involved as well.

The other legal issue concerns you. Legal adults who are found with a runaway living with them may be charged with “harboring a runaway” which is a serious misdemeanor. If you are eighteen or older, or if you are living with your parents, any or all of you could be charged with this.

If you or your girlfriend want anyone to talk to or need someone to consult with if further issues arise we encourage you to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. We’re open 24/7 and always happy to hear from you.

Best of luck to you and your girlfriend.

NRS
          Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Hi my name is Alyssa and I'm going to be turning 20 years old and I want to move out of state to Illinois if I move out of state without telling my dad or mom where I live can they file a missing person report on me because I'm having a lot of issues at home and I'm very physically and emotionally stressed and my dad has people stalking me to the point where I took down my Facebook and my other social medias please reply back to my message thank you

Comment

Reply: Hi, my name is Alyssa and I'm going to be turning 20 years old #36

Hello,
              Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.
              It sounds like you want to attempt to get away from your parents but would like to know if they can file a missing person’s report.

Once you have made a decision to leave as an option you might consider contacting the non- emergency number or walk in to your local police department after 24hrs or more to see if there has been a missing person report filed for you. This would allow you to verify to the police that you left of your own free will and for whatever reasons you might wish to explain.
              Does that make sense?

We want you to know that we are here to listen and be a means of support during this challenging time. If you would like to talk more in detail and share more about how we can help specifically, please call or chat soon.
              Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org

We hope to hear from you soon.

Take Care,
              NRS

Comment

I am 16 but turn 17 may 25, how can i move out before im 18 without my parents forcing me to come back, in Missouri, my boyfriend needs to move out too and he is already 17. Plz help us

Comment

• ccsmod6
                  ccsmod6 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us. It sounds like you and your boyfriend are both considering moving out of your houses without your parents’ permission before the age of 18. It’s great that you are reaching out to us before making any set decisions, that’s really responsible and smart of you! Hopefully we can give you some information that can help you.

So normally running away before the age of 18 is not allowed. It is not illegal, but it is considered a status offense. This means that both your parents and your boyfriend’s parents would have the right to file a runaway report with the police, but neither of you would get arrested nor it would not go on either of yours’ records. Sometimes police departments do not take runaway reports for 17 year olds though, since they are so close to being 18. This tends to differ from police department to police department as not all of them follow the same protocol, so it would be best of you and your boyfriend reached out to your local police departments in order to see what they would do in your situations.

One thing to think about before leaving is what you would do if you ran away. Before running away it is good to have a plan set in place, including where you would stay, how you would make money, how you would finish school, etc. These are really great things to think about so you can ensure being able to survive independently without your parents help!

If you want to talk more about what you’re going through or need any more resources please feel free to reach out to us again! We are opened 24/7 so someone will always be here to answer and see what else we can do for you! We wish you the best of luck!

I will be 17 in November, and i am wanting to move out but the problem is does my parents have a say? If i move out i will be safe not at family but with a friend that is in there 20's. Am i able to just leave.

Comment

• ccsmod10
                  ccsmod10 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We understand it takes great courage to reach out, and we appreciate you sharing a little bit about what’s going on.

So it sounds like you're thinking about leaving your home. We're not legal experts, but we do have some basic information about it. 18 years old is generally the age that an individual may leave home without permission from their parent or legal guardian. We are not legal experts here but we can speak in general terms. If you are under 18 and leave home without permission, your parent/guardian may file a runaway report with the police. What actions the police take once you are filed as a runaway can vary a lot from state to state and even city to city so we cannot predict exactly what would happen in your case. Generally speaking, if you encounter a police officer while reported as a runaway, you will likely be returned home. Another thing to consider is that while running away is not a crime, a legal adult who allows you to stay with them may be putting themselves at risk for being charged with harboring a runaway. A good way to find out the laws in your area is to call your local police and ask what their policies are regarding runaway youth. In some states, the police won’t take runaway reports on 17 year olds, but we aren’t experts on every state.

Often, having a safe space to share how you’re feeling may bring a variety of solutions previously not thought of. Also, talking to school counselors and teachers about what’s going on at home could provide you with great support. You are not alone in this. We want you to know that we are here as support to help you through this challenging time. You are always welcome to call into our 24/7 crisis center, or use our chatting services via our website.

Be well, NRS

I lived in Missouri and when my oldest daughter turned 17 she moved out. I called the police and was told that they wouldn't do anything. At that age in Missouri she could move wherever she wanted to.

Comment

• ccsmod1
                  ccsmod1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your story. It sounds like you had a frustrating experience with law enforcement. We are sorry to hear that they said they wouldn't help when your daughter moved out. Often police do not make an active search for runaways, or they might not put resources into making a 17 year old go home since they are close to turning 18. However, this doesn't mean that every 17 year old in Missouri can move out without consequences, since police response can vary even in the same state depending on the unique situation. If you are still looking for your daughter, there are some other resources you can access, such as the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. You can find out more at missingkids.org. If you ever need help or support, don't hesitate to give us a call! We are here to listen and support you in any way that we can.

Hi, I am 16 and I turn 17 in 1 and 1/2 months. My mom and me do not get along and my step dad is an abusive drunk. I can't take anymore do you think I could move in with a close friend and her family before I turn 17? ive been staying with her for the past 2 months as it is but now my mom wants me to come home and she threatens to call the cops on me if I don't. I just don't wanna go home to all of that. Do you think the cops would force me to go back to my moms? Or would they let me stay where I am as long as I'm safe since I've already been here for 2 monthst

Comment

• ccsmod0
                  ccsmod0 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello,
                  Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline. We are here to help you the best we can. We have found this answer to a posting that was posted to another user in a similar situation. If you have any follow-up questions please give us a call.

Originally posted by ccsmod0 View Post
                  RE: Please help my sister and I

Hello there,
                  Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline (NRS). We are here to help you and provide you support during this time.
                  It sounds like you are going through a really painful and stressful time right now at home. You and your sister do not deserve to be treated like this or neglected. . You do not deserve to be mistreated or feel unsafe. We are sorry that you are going through this. One option that you may consider is filing an abuse. One really great resource that is available to you is Child Help USA (1-800-422-4453). Child Help USA will provide you more information about abuse reporting, the process, and connect you to the Child Protective Services (CPS) in your area.

If you are not comfortable with doing that you can also contact us here at NRS. We want to help you and make sure that you are safe during this time. By giving us a call here we can call CPS and provide support for you while you make the report or you can provide us with the information and we can make the report for you.
                  It sounds like you and your dad and step –mom have a really great relationship. Have you considered talking with them about what is going on at home with you mom and step –dad? This might be something you consider doing since you mentioned wanting to live with him. Also talking to your dad and step mom may be beneficial because they may be able to help you and be there for you during this time.

You mentioned that you have been dealing with some suicidal thoughts. We are glad that you contacted us. We are here for you and want to help. One resources that you may consider using is the National Suicide Hotline (1-800-273-TALK). We know that it may sound scary but they are available 24/7 and handle a lot of different things and have trained professionals and counselors to help you. If you are not comfortable reaching out via phone, they also have a 24/7 Chat service.

You also mentioned that you wanted to run away, we just want to let you know that we are not legal experts here but we can provide you with some general information. If you do decide to run away since you are a minor your parents do have a right to file a runaway report. If you are for any reason picked up by the police there may be a chance that you can be brought back home, unless for any reason the police feel that they are returning you to an unsafe environment.

Some questions that you may want to consider when running away are:
                  · What about school? What am I going to do to continue?
                  · Do I have a place to stay?
                  · Am I going to be gone awhile or coming back in a few days?
                  · What is my plan B in case my first plan doesn’t work?

We are so glad that you reached out to us. You are so strong for contacting us and seeking help for you and your sister. We want to help you here and make sure that you are safe. We want to talk with you further about your situation and help you in the best way possible. We are here 24/7 and someone is always available to talk. We can be reached at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
                  NRS

Moving out at 17

I hate living with my parents and my friend and her family said that they will gladly take me in. I live in Missouri and turn 17 in a week. After I turn 17 can I move out without my parents consent? I just want to go somewhere where I can actually be myself but I don't want my parents to call the police.

Comment

• ccsmod10
                  ccsmod10 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey there,
                  Thanks for reaching out to NRS and sharing a bit about your story! It sounds like you’ve been going through a really difficult time at home with your parents. You definitely deserve to be happy and safe at home. You mentioned that your parents are going to give you permission to move out, that should be good in the eyes of the law. If you’re worried that they’d change their mind and call the police, you can always type something up and have them sign it (stating that they give you permission to move out).
                  NRS also offers conference calling options, if you need help talking to your parents. We are always here also we can call out to your police stations non-emergency number to check in with them about moving out with your parents’ permission. Our Safeline is open 24/7 at (800) RUNAWAY.
                  Stay safe, NRS

When can I leave my parents house? My grandparents are my legal guardians and they live in St. Charles, Missouri. I live with my biological dad in Carbon, Indiana. I turn 17 on November 3rd 2017. I want to live with my Grandma ( biological mom's mother) who lives in Branson, Missouri.

Comment

• ccsmod10
                  ccsmod10 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to NR and sharing bit about your story. It sounds like you’re wanting to live with your grandmother in Missouri. Unfortunately, we are not legal experts, but the legal age that youth are able to move out is usually 18 years old. We can try to find legal aid in your area, who are experts of the law, and they could point you in the right direction. We also offer a conference calling option, if you needed help talking to your dad about living with your grandmother until you’re 18 years old. Our safeline is open 24/7, so if any of those options sound good, please don’t hesitate to call into us. Talking more about the situation could help brainstorm different options as well.

Again, thanks for contacting us! Our number is (800) 786-2929 and we also have a chatting service via our hotline.

Im 16 and have a until 7-18-2018 till i turn 17 my parents are mentally abusive and i have been cleaning and cooking for them everyday since i was little my mother doesnt do anything she has me clean the entire house by myself (including her room) i need to know if at 17 i could move out with my grandmother or a uncle or aunt?

Comment

• ccsmod7
                  ccsmod7 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello there, thanks for reaching out today. Sounds like your parents are emotionally abusive and you are wanting to move in with a relative. You do not deserve to be harmed in anyway and we truly want to help.

Unfortunately, most states have the legal age/majority age of 18 or older. So if left home at 17 without permission, your parents might be able to list you as a runaway. If you are found as a runaway, you typically would be returned home. However, some police departments handle 17 year old runaway cases differently than others. The best way to learn about what might happen is to call your local non-emergency police number an ask questions anonymously about what could happen.

The easiest way you can leave home is with your parents’ permission. You might talk to your grandmother, uncle, or aunt about living with them, and then have them talk to your parents for you about moving. Sometimes it helps for parents to hear things from trusted adults when they are not hearing how you are feeling.

Please call or chat if you would like to talk more about your situation.

Best,

NRS

Hey im 17 and my mom is fine with me moving out but my gf is 17 and adopted what would happen if she moved out without her adopted parents knowing

Comment

Reply: Hey im 17 and my mom is fine with me moving out

Hi there,
                  Thank you for writing to us here at National Runaway Safeline (NRS).

While we are not experts on the law, 18 is generally the age that an individual may leave home without parent or guardian permission.
                  If you are under 18 and leave home, your parent/guardian may file you as a runaway and you may be returned home. Also, those you stay with may run the risk of being charged with harboring a runaway. For more specifics on the law, the local non-emergency police or legal aid may better answer legal questions.

We are here as support to help through this challenging time. We can best help by phone or chat as NRS is unable to respond more than twice by email to assist you. If you would like to talk more in detail please call or chat soon.
                  Our contact information is 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929); www.1800runaway.org (click on the chat button).
                  If you are at risk of any danger or feeling unsafe, we encourage you to reach out to 911 or seek emergency assistance immediately.

Be safe,
                  NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  x
                  Working...
                  X