Missouri moving out at 17

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 17 Age of Majority

Hello and thanks for reaching out on our forum. We are not legal experts; however, our general understanding is that age of consent refers to the legal age you can consent to sexual activity. It may be you’re trying to figure out the age of minority which refers to until what age you are considered a minor. Age of majority would be the legal age of adulthood which is 18 in most states to our understanding. You can find more information through this link: http://sexetc.org/action-center/sex-in-the-states/.

That said, we recognize some police departments view the age of 17 as more of a gray area. If you’d like to share your city/town in Missouri, we can look up your non-emergency police department to find out more information. It is understandable to be concerned with the police bringing you back home; however, sometimes even the police will say it’s circumstantial. So, police may not know for sure what will happen until it actually happens unfortunately.

We’ll be here if you’d like to talk further about your situation and encourage you to try out our Live Chat which opens today at 1pm CST. Best of luck!
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Harboring a 17 and a runaway

I am currently keeping my friend safe. She is 17 and in states custody. How much trouble could I get in? I mean she is safe and taken care of and her birthday day is in 8 months. How much trouble would she be in and could they bring her back into custody? We live in western Missouri.

Comment

Re: Harboring a 17 and a runaway

Hello there,

Please know we are not here to judge you, especially for keeping your friend safe. We are not legal experts; however, it sounds like the risk you’re referring to is harboring a runaway. Typically this applies to adults who are letting a runaway/minor who left home without permission live in their home. This might be considered a misdemeanor, although might also depend on the circumstances. Whether or not your friend’s case worker/placement has filed her as a runaway/missing juvenile as well as how the local police decide to react could affect the outcome.

Some states also have extended foster care beyond the age of 18, so that might be something to check out as well. It is likely your friend will need to reach out to her case worker at some point whether now or after her birthday in 8 months. If you share the city/town you and your friend live, we can try to find legal aid for additional legal advocacy. You and your friend are also welcome to reach out directly through our Live Chat or calling in to 1-800-RUNAWAY. Good luck to you both!
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

Comment

Leaving home

I'll be 16 in November and I've been waiting to leave since I was 8. My mom is emotionally abusive and and very uninvolved parent and I can't handle it anymore. She's too worried about her boyfriend and smoking week to pay attention to her kids. If I leave at 16 and go to a friends house where I'm takes care of can I do anything so police won't bring me back?

Comment

RE: Leaving home

Hello,

Thanks for coming to our website today and posting on our forum.

We’re so sorry to hear about how things are going with mom. It sounds like she’s been hard to deal with since you were very young. That isn’t fair to you. Everyone deserves to feel loved and accepted in their own home. It sounds like things are reaching a point in your life where you want to make a change. We want you to know that it takes a lot of courage to reach out for help and we think you’re really brave for coming to us today.

Since you mentioned leaving home, we want to let you know that we’re not legal experts. We can speak generally about leaving home before you’re legally an adult. Typically a minor would need the permission of their legal guardian to leave their home without any problems. It sounds like that might not be something you can get in this situation. If you left without permission mom would have the right to file a runaway report with the police. Running away isn’t a crime, but the police would be able to return you back to mom. Sometimes whoever you’re staying with can be charged with “harboring a runaway”, so please take that into consideration when making this decision.

It sounds like what is happening at home could be considered neglect, which is a form of abuse. If you believe this is the case, you have the right to report what is happening to Child Protective Services. If you wanted to find out more about child abuse reporting, please visit www.childhelp.org. If you decide you want to make a report but aren’t sure how, you can always call us here directly and we’d be able to conference call with an abuse reporting hotline so you don’t have to do it alone. We’re available 24/7 here at 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929).

If you’re concerned about drug use in your home there is a hotline for families that might be able to help. They’re called Families Anonymous and they can be reached at 1-800-736-9805.

We really hope this information helps. Let us know if there’s anything else we can do to help.

Stay strong,

NRS

Comment

leaving

I'm 17 and I live with my grandfather. But I want to live with my Mother. My grandfather has custody of me. So if I left without consent what would happen

Comment

Reply: Leaving

Hello,
                Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

It is possible that you might be returned to your legal guardian.

You are welcome to contact 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) if you would like to talk about your situation.

Take care,
                NRS

Comment

Re: Missouri moving out at 17

i live with my appended mom and she thinks it's ok to push me out a window and hit me with stuff and i just want to know what can i do like can i leave i'm 17 and don't want to live here because i don't like it here an i have someone i can live with and i really want to leve ]

Comment

Re: Re: Missouri moving out at 17

Hello there, thanks for reaching out today.

It sounds like your mom hits you with objects and throws you out the window. That sounds so unfair. No one deserves to be hurt like that. We are here for you during this difficult time, and we really want to help.

You have the right to report your mom for hurting you to Child Protective Services (CPS). If they investigate and find that your home is highly dangerous they would remove you. If you have questions about reporting, you might try calling the child advocates at Child Help USA at 1-800-587-4357. If you would like assistance with making a report you can call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY. If you feel like you are in immediate danger of her hurting you please call 911.

It sounds like you have someone you can stay with, that’s great. The easiest legal way you can leave is with permission from your mom. If you don’t get permission and you leave she could attempt to file a runaway report for you if your local police department takes runaway reports for 17 year olds. If a report is filed and police find you, you typically would be returned home by police. If that is the case, you can try to disclose the abuse to the police at that time. One way to find out what the police might do in your situation is to call the local non-emergency police number and ask.

We strongly encourage you to call or chat us if you want to talk more about your situation and help with brainstorming your options.

Best of luck and stay safe,

NRS

Comment

Moving out

Can I move out when I'm 17 in Missouri?

Comment

Hi there,

That’s a great question, because it can vary from state to state. While we are not legal experts we can provide you with general information. Generally in the United States you have to be 18 to be considered an adult and leave home without your parents’ permission, and in Missouri you would still be considered a minor if you are under 18 years old. Running away is a status offence meaning it is illegal to do because of your age but you cannot be arrested or charged. Your parents would still have the ability to file a runaway report, and if the police picked you up they would return you home to your legal guardians. One thing to keep in mind is whoever you are staying with (such as a friend or family member) could be arrested for harboring a runaway which is a misdemeanor offence. We are here to support you in whatever decision you make, and if you would like to talk more in depth about your situation we are available to talk 24/7 at 1-800-RUNAWAY and you can remain confidential.

Best,
                        ~NRS

Comment

17 Moving Out

Okay, so im 17 and currently live with my stepdad and mom and go to my biological fathers every other weekend. I have a non-biological father (guy I thought was my dad for 11 years), that I would like to live with. I live in Missouri, and so does my non-biological father, David. I want to get out of my moms house because I dont like the environment. Lots of yelling, my stepdad has threatened to "put me down on the ground" in a threatening manner, and he has slapped me in the face one time, and that night I went to my biological dads, Dustins. I am currently at my moms and am wondering what I can do at my age of 17. I have read that I can "legally run away", and it wont be a runaway, just missing persons, and the cops cant take me home. Is this true? I turn 18 in October next year, fyi. Is there anything I can do? Thank you.

Comment

Reply: Moving out at 17

Hello,
                            Thanks for contacting the National Runaway Safeline.

We understand your motivation for wanting to leave your current situation.
                            However since we are not legal experts we can’t say if what you read is true.
                            One option might be to try and get the permission of your legal guardian to move in with the person you mentioned.
                            Another option you might consider is to contact the non–emergency number of your local police department to find out if indeed you can move out of your parent’s home at 17 without the threat of being returned.
                            Does that make sense?

If you would like to speak more about your situation please give NRS a call at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929)

Take care,
                            NRS

Comment

Hi my name is Sierra I was wondering if I could move out if my parent says yes it anything like that and my family members don't get along with me very well. So I just want to hve a normal life and not be treated badly. I am just wondering bc I live in St.clair

Comment

Sierra,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It sounds like it’s been tough to get along with and you’ve considered moving out. We’re not legal experts, but we can do our best to share as much information as we can to help you decide your next steps.

If you are considered a minor in your state and you are considering moving out, it would be helpful to speak with someone familiar with the laws in your state. Because laws can vary from state to state, it is really tough for us to tell you what you and/or your legal guardians would need to do to help you move out. One option would be to reach out to your local legal aid agency. These agencies provide free or low-cost legal information and they might be able to let you know what steps you would need to take to move out. If you’d like to talk more about your situation, or if you need help finding resources in your area, please feel free to give us a call or send us a chat. We will not tell you what to do, but we will do our best to help you stay as safe as possible regardless of what you decide to do. Stay safe!

-NRS

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X