No announcement yet.

I just recently turned 17 and I no longer want to live with my mother.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I just recently turned 17 and I no longer want to live with my mother.

    I just recently turned 17 and I no longer want to live with my mother. I'm very uncomfortable where I am. I maybe pregnant and I'm not getting any medical treatment because she won't take me to the doctor. She fusses and slaps me in my face. She hit me in the head with a metal object and bruised my head. I have been thinking about suicide but my boyfriend has talked me out of it. She doesn't like my bf but I love him and she won't let me see him. I want to move in with him for the sake of my baby and a better life for me. I can't stay here anymore.

  • #2
    Re: I just recently turned 17 and no longer want to live with my mother

    Hello –

    Thank you for contacting us and telling us a bit about your situation. It sounds like you are in a really tough spot right now and it’s gotten to the point you want to leave your house. No one should be hurt or abused in anyway and it sounds like your mom has gotten physical with you and you don’t feel safe in the home. Have you ever told anyone about the abuse or spoken with child services?

    In most states the age of majority, when you can move out without permission, is 18. But 17 can be a bit of a gray area and depending on the city/state you are in police may deal with these situations differently. What that means is there is a possibility that your mom could file a runaway report and the police may make you go back home but it’s difficult for us to say because we do not take reports and are not affiliated with the police. Usually the best way to get the most accurate information for your area is to contact your local police on a non-emergency line and just ask a few questions about what the age of majority is in your area and if they make a youth return home if they are 17.

    It’s good to hear that you have such a big support in your boyfriend. You mentioned that you have thought about suicide before and if you are having any suicidal thoughts you can always reach out to the National Suicide Hotline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Also if you decide you want to make an abuse report or need some resources in your area (such as health care options) you can always reach out to us directly. Our services are confidential and anonymous and there is always someone here to listen and here to help. Take care and be safe.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp