No announcement yet.

i dont know what to do anymore.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • i dont know what to do anymore.

    Hi, my name is samantha and I live in Colorado. I'm 17 I'm going to be 18 in April. Im adopted by my grandparents since I was 2. They have always hit me as i got older. I've been ready to move out since I was 16. They treat me like I'm a burden in their home. Recently, they found a bottle of pot gummy bears and threatened to call the cops. I have a good job and multiple places I can stay. I want to leave now but I don't want to be brought back. Am I allowed to leave without being considered a runaway? I'm tired of not being trusted and treated like a burden. Please help me

  • #2
    re: I don't know what to do anymore

    Hey Samantha,

    It sounds like you are going through some really tough times at this point in your life and you have dealt with some serious issues in the past. No one ever deserves to be hit or to be treated how you have been, especially not in the comfort of your own home. We’re glad that you were able to reach out to us and come to us for help. Just know that we are here to help you and assist you in the best way we can.

    So, from what you have shared, it seems like you want to leave home, we can see how all of this might make you feel overwhelmed and just want to leave your grandparents home. You're asking a good question. We aren't legal experts, but we are able to speak generally as to what might happen if you decide leave without your grandparent's permission. If you do decide to leave, your grandparent's have the right to file a runaway report with the police. The reason for this is because your grandparents are legally responsible for you until you turn 18. If you told the police that you feel unsafe, they would most likely contact Child Protective Services, and still return you home. Then CPS would investigate to see if you are safe there.

    You stated that you were abused. If that is the case, it may be helpful to reach out to Childhelp a national child abuse hotline 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453) to gain a better idea of what the process of leaving home may look like in your area.

    Another option to consider is a conference call. This is service that we provide if you feel you need a third party on the line while having a conversation with your mom. Communicating how you feel to your family is not always easy and we would be happy to provide support.

    For additional support or resources please feel free to give us a call at 1800-RUNAWAY (786-2929). We're anonymous, confidential and available 24/7. You can also chat with us through our website ( from 4.30pm-11.30pm Central Time. We're here to help, talk through other options, listen to what going's on and just be a general support to you.

    Stay strong,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp