Alternates and Runing Away

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternates and Runing Away

Hello. I turn 16 on March 27th and I attempted suicide last March because of the abuse coming from my mother and stepfather. I ended up being placed out of home and I filed a CHINS petition. I am still currently out of the home and in my third living placement. I live in pend oreille county which is in Washington State. The program that places me in homes is doing some thing that aren't okay and I am always made out to be the bad guy when I didn't have a part in it. At this point I am thinking of running away to avoid being placed back with my mom and stepfather because I fear that they will hurt me when I return. What are my options in my county and my state to stay out of their home without a CHINS?

RE: Alternates and Runing Away

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline and sharing with us some of your story. It sounds like you have been going through a tough time at home and in your temporary placement. WE are sorry to hear that and we are here to listen and support you.

You mentioned that you had attempted suicide last March. We are sorry to hear that you felt that was your only option because of the abuse you were going through from your mom and stepdad. No one deserves to be abused. If you have not filed an abuse report that is an option you have. If you would like you can file an Abuse Report through Child Help USA at 1800.422.4453. We are so sorry to hear that they are planning you back into an abusive home. Calling this number is one thing you can do to make the report and find out more options via their hotline.

We are not legal experts but we can speak in general terms. Generally it is not a criminal offense to run away, it is a status offense. If you were to leave without the consent of your legal guardian then your legal guardian would have the option of filing a runaway report with the local police department. With this report, it means that if you were to have an encounter with the police and they were to run your name, they would see that you have a runaway report on your name. They would most likely take you back to your parents. If they did not, for example if you were to declare that home is not a safe environment, then they would most likely do an investigation and try to get you the services you need to improve life or to get you placed out of the home. This is separate from CHINS.

Another option you have is to look into www.nationalsafeplace.org . This is a website you can go to check out which national safe place is close to you. You text 69866 with your address, city, and state along with the word “safe” and they will respond to you with the nearest national safe place location. This is a place you can go to declare a safe place and to have a caseworker come out to that location and help place you with the services you need.

We hoped this helped and we encourage you to call us on our 24/7 hotline at 1800.786.2929 or you can chat with us every day from 4:30pm-11:30pm CST on our website. We hoped this helped and we look forward to hearing from you.

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Your response was very helpful. Thank you so much!

Comment

Re: Alternatives to running away

Hi again,
        You are very welcome. Please feel free to reach out again in the future if there is anything else we can help with.

Until then,

We wish you all the best.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X