Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 almost 17 wanting to leave home

I am 16 Living in Brazos County. I obviously have had made many mistakes as a teenager. One of these happened a few nights ago. Although it's been several months since i have gotten in a lot of trouble. I have been planning to move out at 17 since i turned 16 several months ago. I would get emancipated but that takes too much time. I have a home set up for me, i have no trouble with school. But i do not think that i can make it that long. My birthday isn't for almost 8 more months. I have no problem continuously going to school, I'd run away, but i do not want to stop going to school. I have plans for college and can't afford to drop out. What do i do? I have no problem leaving a note for my parents and even telling them where i am at. I just do not want to be forcefully brought home. That would just cause more problems. I'm verbally abused at home all the time, as is my mother. They were getting divorced, putting me through an Emotional Hell. Is it possible to leave, continue to go to school?

RE: 16 almost 17 wanting to leave home

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time out of the day to reach out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline bulletin board. From your post above it sounds like you have been going through a lot right now living at home with your mother and your father; as you have put it, emotional hell. No one deserves to be treated that way. Especially when you’re at home; a place that is supposed to be a safe and loving place for you. You always have the right to report any abuse to your local police department or child protective service in your state. If you feel like you might not know of how to do that, you can always call us anytime you want. There is always someone here to help you.

It sounds like you have been thinking about running away for quite a while now. Since you are under the age of majority for your state and are considered still a minor, your parents have the right to file a runaway report of you. What that means is that if a police officer were to pick you, they would see that you have a report filed under your name and take you back home or hold you until arrangements can be made to take you back home. Keep in mind that these are just the general rules that apply to most states, but since we aren’t legal experts we can’t say anything for certain. Every states might have different laws on how runaway children are handled; sort of a case by case thing. So you always have the option to get into contact with your local non-emergency police number and ask them hypothetical questions about runways and how they are handled in that specific state. This should give you a more direct answer.

You are right about emancipation being a very lengthy process especially since you do have to fill out forms stating that you have various means to support yourself independently and then stand before a judge and court. So in some cases it will take a very long time and if you’re close to being 18 then there might not be a conclusion made before that time. As far as going to school, we can’t say for sure again what will happen. Your parents might be in touch with the school to let them know about the situation and have them contacted them if you were to show up there. So if your school has any policies regarding runaways, it might be a good idea to call them and ask about their rules on homeless/runaway children.
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X