No announcement yet.

am i old enough?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • am i old enough?

    i have been gone for almost two weeks and i am not reported missing. i am staying with wonderful responsible adults who would really like to adopt me legally. my mother is crazy and if i contact her stating what i would like to do i am afraid she will find me. i am 15 cant i get my biological father to get together an emergency custody hearing and i can state where i want to live?

  • #2
    Re: am i old enough?


    Thank you for taking the time to write to ask about legal questions and we commend you for doing what is necessary to get help for the betterment of your situation. It sounds like the situation at home with you and your mother is tense and you are trying to find a way to feel safe and get better support from your father. Although we are not legal experts and cannot tell you what to do, we hear how important this is to you and hope that you can work it out with your father. Have you spoken to your father about what you are thinking? Is it a good sign that you were not reported missing? Usually, your guardian is expected to file a report when you run away to keep herself safe from getting charged with neglect and to make sure the police return you home, if you are found. Do you think that it can work in your favor, if your mother hesitate to file the report? Do you know why she did not called the police to file? If your mother refuses to file, have you thought about how this can better serve your interest? What are your techniques for trying to prove what parent you are better off staying with?

    Even if it is not a crime to run away, you still have to try to be careful where you stay. If your mother decides to file a report, the adults you are staying with, as responsible as they are, can get in trouble for harboring you. Please be careful and try not to get anyone in trouble. It takes a great deal of effort for non custodial parents or other friends to adopt you because there needs to be proof that your mother is not capable of supporting you and that no one else can. This takes a long process and involves courts and fees. Do you think that the folks you are staying with is up to it? Fighting this battle can be time consuming and requires a lot of energy and resources to prove your mother's incapable of caring for you. We are sorry to hear that your mother is treating you in such a harsh way but you are welcome to see what your father wants to do. You have the right to petition the courts to get a hearing but courts need to schedule a time for everyone to be present and needs to prove that your mother is the wrong choice for you. It is really a matter of your father's willingness and time but also proving his capabilities to care for you to the court. If there are other questions, please write to us soon.

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif