No announcement yet.

Moving out before 18 to live with my Boyfriend?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Moving out before 18 to live with my Boyfriend?

    Hey. I'm a 17 year old girl and would like to get out of my house before I turn 18 in July. I finish school in may, so I was just wondering what my rights are dealing with leaving before I'm 18. I live in NC. I want to get out of my house due to some parental problems and move in with my older boyfriend because he doesn't want me to have to live like this anymore. He and my mom haven't seen eye to eye for a little while so I'm worried about if she might call the cops if I try to move out and move in with him. She already said she doesn't want me to go with him, but do I have the right to say otherwise at my age? If so, and she tries to file a report on him anyway, what can I do?

    Thank you for your time.

  • #2
    re: Moving out before 18 to live with my Boyfriend?

    Hey there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you are pretty frustrated at this point in your life and would want to make your situation better. From what you mentioned, it seems like your mother and your boyfriend are not getting along to well, and that can be pretty stressful on you.

    We are not legal experts here, but we can speak generally of some laws. Because you are a minor, your parents still have a right to file a runaway report if you were to leave. Most police stations would just force you to go back home but we cannot speak for every police station. The way that you would be able to know best about what would happened is if you were to reach out to your local police department and ask them some general questions about running away. Another factor you might want to keep in mind is that if you parents were to make a runaway away report, and you were found, your boyfriend might be charged with harboring a minor. Harboring a minor means that the person that is letting you stay in their home can get into legal problems because you are a minor. The charges can go from fines to jail time. Again, if you would like to know more about this, you can consider calling the police department and asking those questions.
    A way that you would be able to leave your home legally would be by filing for emancipation. Emancipation basically means that you are no longer considered a minor and are able to make your own legal decisions. If your parents agree to this process, then it would take about a month. But please be aware that if they do not agree to this process, it can take up to 6 months. In order to be considered for emancipation in your state, you must:
    (1) The parental need for the earnings of the petitioner;
    (2) The petitioner's ability to function as an adult;
    (3) The petitioner's need to contract as an adult or to marry;
    (4) The employment status of the petitioner and the stability of the petitioner's living arrangements;
    (5) The extent of family discord which may threaten reconciliation of the petitioner with the petitioner's family;
    (6) The petitioner's rejection of parental supervision or support; and
    (7) The quality of parental supervision or support

    If you would like to know more information about potentially filing for emancipation, then you can call these next few numbers:

    Phone number: 704-331-9474
    8:30am-5:00pm Monday to Friday

    Phone number: 919-682-1129
    8:30am-5:00pm Monday to Friday

    Phone number: 919-732-8137
    9:00am-5:00pm Monday to Friday

    If you have any other questions, please remember to give us a call and we would be more than happy to assist you with whatever you might need. We are available 24/7. We wish you the best of luck.

    Stay strong,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    • #3
      hi, i am a 17 year old girl living in TX wanting to move out. my dad is verbally abusive, he never lets me say what i wanna say without him correcting me or calling me names that are hurtful. he don't understand how much he's made me cry. he may be teaching me right from wrong but that gives him no right to hurt me like that. i told him how horrible of a dad he is too me, how he tells me mean things, he got upset and blamed it on me. he doesn't understand how worthless his sentences make me feel sometimes, he wants me to be somebody im not. my birthday is 3 months from now, does it matter if i leave early? how much trouble will i get in?
      also, if i move in with my boyfriend, does my parents have the right to stop me from moving in with him?

      please respond, thank you so much.


      • ccsmod16
        ccsmod16 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for reaching out to us; we are glad that you did. We are very sorry to hear how difficult and stressful it is at home for you. Your dad saying such hurtful things and calling you names is wrong. No one should treat you this way and what he does is not the way to teach anybody.

        We aren’t legal experts and we don’t know exactly what would happen if you left, but Texas is one of the few states where they consider running away to be illegal.

        We hope that you might reach out to us by phone or chat so that we can help you go over your plan for leaving or to help you feel emotionally stronger if you stay. The best way for us to help you is by listening to you and helping you figure out your options. We are here for you 24/7 either by calling 1-800-786-2929 or via live chat through

        We really hope to hear from you so that we can talk this over. We are confidential and are here 24/7 to listen and help.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp