No announcement yet.

17 year old trying to leave home legal issues for my boyfriend???

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 17 year old trying to leave home legal issues for my boyfriend???

    hello. i am 17, i will be 18 in december. My boyfriend is 29 (i know. dont need a lecture). anyways, my parents told mei could move out and live with him so we loaded his truck to go, and as we were leavng my mom blocked his car and called the police saying i was running away even though she sad i could! anyways, he didnt get in trouble and they let him leave. but now my mom has gone even more crazy and took my phone and stalks me while im at school (i go twice a week, independent study). so this is what im wondering. they dont know where he lives, but they do have his license plate number. i still want to move out because we're in love and im going to marry him in a year or two. i know we can do it, but im worried about him gettng in trouble. i know harboring a minor is illegal, but what will REALLY happen? I graduate soon so my school wont be liable. and im getting a different job so my mom cant stalk me there either. i just really need help because im kind of freaking out.. will the cops even do anything? I live in orange county,california by the way. And if i cant get graduate soon enough im just gonna leave school and take the GED when im 18 and dont need parental consent. im a really smart girl and im already in college i just cant handle living under a dictator. if someone could please help me! thank you!!!

  • #2
    17 year old trying to leave home legal issues for my boyfriend???

    Hey there,

    Thank you for reaching out to us here at the National Runaway Safeline, it seems like you have quite a bit going on at this point in your life. Just so you know, you are not alone and we are here for you. It sounds like there is a lot of tension in your home and you probably do not feel too comfortable.

    From what you mentioned, it seems as if you really want to leave home and start your life with your boyfriend. You also mention that you will be turning 18 this month. Keep in mind that once you are 18 you are no longer considered a minor. It’s good to see that you have done your research to figure out what would happen if you would leave as a minor. We are not legal experts here at the National Runaway Safeline, but from past experience we do know that the charges for harboring a youth can vary from fines to jail time. If you would like to know more about how your city and or state would handle this situation, an option would be to contact a legal aid or to contact your local police department.

    If these are options that you would want to move forward with, you can give us a call and we would be more than happy to assist you with helping you find the resources to reach out to the legal aids and or police department. We are also here for support and a listening ear. You can reach out to us 24/7.

    Stay strong,

    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp