No announcement yet.

moving out

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • moving out

    Hi. Im 17 years old. I live with my 62 year old dad and his 60 year old girlfriend. They constantly fight, where its her telling him how to raise me and him just doing it. I would like to move out and stay with my legal age brother or a friend because i am constantly attacked by my dads girlfriend by her telling him that im just manipulating him and that im going to end up killing him because i stress him out so much. I need help. Can i move out?

  • #2
    RE: moving out

    Hi there,

    Thank you so much for reaching out to NRS. It sounds like home is a difficult place to be right now and that you have found a potential alternative place to go. Have you discussed this plan with your dad or considered how he would react to you living with your brother? Do you have a plan for a way to stay in school if you live with your brother or a way of bringing in money as necessary?

    Unfortunately we are not legal experts, but we can speak in general terms. To start off with, running away is not a criminal offense, it is a status offense. This means that you are not able to leave without your parents’ consent because you are a minor, not because it is illegal. If you are to runaway then your dad would have the option of filing a runaway report. This lets the police know that you have left without his consent. If your dad were to file a runaway report, and you were found at your brothers or a friend’s house, then they may be charged with harboring a runaway. That is a criminal offense.

    However, 17 is a tricky age because, in general terms, 18 is the age of majority in most states. One option you or her have is to call your local police department and see how they would handle a 17 year old who does not want to be returned home. We also have resources here for legal services if you are able to reach out to us and provide your city.

    I want to emphasize that NRS is here to help in any way possible and that we are here 24/7 and anonymous and confidential. If helpful, I would encourage you to call our safeline at 1-800-786-2929 or use our online chat service at

    Best of luck,
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

    National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

    Tell us what you think about your experience!


    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp