Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trynna leave home at 17 & gay

Hi hello , im 17 and a half and im Lesbian. I came out 4 years ago and my mom does not accept me. She blames it on the girl i love. Im planning to leave my house and stay with my grandma till i finish my senior year. My mom threatens to call the cops if i leave and take me away from my grandma. Im constantly depressed and 3 days ago i left to spend time with the girl i love. My mom found out i left and wont let me out of her site. She took my phone and everything but i managed to hide my old ipod she dosent know i have. Can she legally take me back if i stay with my grandma. I live in California, San Diego.

RE: trynna leave home at 17 & gay

Hello

Thank you for contacting the National Runaway Safeline. You’re dealing with a really tough situation. Coming out is challenging, and it must be hard to deal with your relationship being so unaccepted at home. We’re glad that you reached out to us.

It sounds like you’ve already put a lot of thought into your situation. You’ve got a great support in your grandmother! Unfortunately, we’re not legal experts, so we can’t tell you the exact consequences of leaving to stay with your grandmother. Running away is considered a status offense, meaning that it’s only illegal because you’re not yet 18. However, it’s difficult to say what the police in your area might do if your mother made a runaway report, because 17 is a tricky age. You are close to being an adult. An option you have is to call your local police department and see how they would handle your situation, generally.

You’re more than welcome to call us at 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-789-2929) to discuss your situation. We are anonymous, confidential, and available 24/7. We can be reached by chat, as well, from 4:30 to 11:30 PM CST by visiting www.1800runaway.org and clicking on the red “Live Chat” button. Good luck!

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X