Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running away from home at 17, just two more weeks until I'm 18?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running away from home at 17, just two more weeks until I'm 18?

Hi, I have been wanting to move out of my verbally abusive household for the past year since I'm almost 18. I've been smuggling my personal belongings over the course of the past few months since my parents won't let me leave the house even after 18 and have threatened me with physical harm if I dare attempt to escape.

Recently, they've discovered the missing clothes, and my home situation and move-out plan are in even more jeopardy. So my question is, what can my parents do and what can/will the police do if I run from home a few days before my birthday?

Emergency dispatch Child Protective Services were called about a year ago by my school therapist in an attempt to help me, but the CPS worker said that because I'm so close to 18, they can't help me. They told me to try to tough it out until I'm 18, which is what I've been doing, but the stress and uneasiness has been mounting ever higher as my birthday approaches and I can't even go to school or work with normal functionality.

I live in California, by the way. Thanks for any help!

Running away from home at 17, just two more weeks until I'm 18

Hi,

Thanks for your post. It sounds like you have been preparing for the day when you can leave home for some time. It is very smart of you to have formulated some kind of plan.
    With the situation in your home being one that certainly seems an abusive one, the question becomes how unsafe do you feel at this time. You said they have verbally threaten you with physical abuse. That sounds like you have every reason to be concerned.

You do not deserve to be verbally threaten with any kind of abuse. You have a right to feel safe. We understand that you are feeling frustrated and maybe even fearful from the threats being made by your parents. Sometimes trying to tough it out is not always an option. You are using good judgment by trying to explore other options.
    Let’s say you did decide to leave home. Do you have a safe place to go?

It’s important that you think about a plan of survival no matter if you remain in the home with your parents or at the time you become independent and on your own.
    Leaving home before you turn 18yrs old could result in your parents filing a runaway report with the local police. The police could decide that since you are only a few days from turning eighteen that a runaway report is not applicable. To be certain about police action in this situation you might consider contacting the non-emergency number of your local police department for clarification about the action they might take in a situation of such as yours.

NRS offers conference calling so you can call us and stay on the line while we address the issue with the police department. This is a way for our callers to remain anonymous and in a comfort zone. You can listen to the answers given by the police.
    This might help you in making your decision. Is that something you might consider?

One other option is possibility of locating a safe place emergency shelter in your area.
    NRS has a national data base of resources and referrals many for emergency shelter.
    Once again we can offer our conference calling service and inquire about any services for emergency shelter we might find. How does that sound?

You are welcome to call 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) to ask for about emergency shelter services etc.in your area.
    You presented yourself to be very strong and determined to make a change in what has had to be a most difficult and stressful situation. Good for you. We thank you again for reaching out to NRS, we understand how hard this must be for you.

Remember you can reach NRS sign into our live chat session by visiting www.1800Runaway.org
    NRS live chat is available from 4:30pm until 11:30pm (CST).

Take Care,
    NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

RE: Running away from home at 17, just two more weeks until I'm 18?

Hi I'm the original poster.

I do have a safe place to go after I leave the hpuse, so that's not an issue. And he conferece call sounds like an idea I would probably like to try

Things have gotten a lot more difficult just in the past few days because of all their speculating. I'm scared that since I'm still a minor, they will take away everything from me and I will have no resources. I heard them talking about me this morning and even right now as I write this reply and it's extremely angry and violent. I hear things about "its either we beat her so that she won't run or I don't know"

I'm really scared
      I don't even know how I can tough out the last remaining 1.5weeks until I escape

Comment

RE: Running away from home at 17, just two more weeks until I'm 18

Hello and thank you for reaching out to us again. It must be difficult that things haven’t gotten better at home, but it’s good to hear that you have a safe place to go. No one deserves to be physically or verbally abused, and it sounds like you have reasons to be scared. You should know that with your birthday coming up so soon, you are not likely to be forced to go back home.

We're glad that you’re willing to try the conference call service, so please feel free to give us a call at 1-800-Runaway (786-2929). In addition to the conference call service, we can provide you with additional resources as well. We are here 24/7 and everything we discuss is confidential and anonymous. The amount of strength and courage you’re displaying is amazing. Again thank you for reaching out to NRS, and we wish you the best of luck.
        Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
        [email protected] (Crisis Email)
        1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
        https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
        x
        x
        Working...
        X