X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strongly Considering Running Away

Im 16 years old.

I am wanting to run away from home with my boyfriend who my parents restrict me from seeing. I am wanting to leave as it's the only way to get a fresh start, I've been in legal trouble before because some friends thought breaking laws was a good idea. Just recently I did something I was unaware was illegal. Im being sentenced to juvie in a week for it for a couple of years. I can't live with my family. They've restricted me so much and caused my problems (anxiety, depression, paranoia, ect.) Im unable to sleep at night because all of the bad things going through my mind. My family puts me down in every way possible, and I've tried cps (been hit a couple times in the past, fractured ribs and left bruises) but they would do nothing because I have a minor history with the police. Im pregnant as well, and don't think I could live with having to have my baby in jail. The only options I want to pick out of are running away or suicide and my mind on those options are not going to change. I have no family or friends I could go to. I would have ran away already but my parents never allowed me to get my license or a job so I have no money but I desperately need out. My parents wont allow for emancipation and don't know about the baby, I just know I don't want my child around what I grew up with. Please help!

re: Strongly Considering Running Away

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out tonight and sharing your story with us here. It sounds like you are going through so much at home right now. You’re worried about going to juvie while being pregnant and thinking about how the baby might be treated. All those things sound like they are really getting to you. It’s understandable that you’re feeling so overwhelmed with everything. It’s incredibly smart of you to reach out for help and guidance when you need it. That’s absolutely not easy. So let’s see how we can support you tonight.

We’re not here to change your mind about anything. It sounds like you reached out for some support and to figure out ways to be safe in whatever you decide to so. Suicide isn’t something that is safe, and it sounds like you’re so overwhelmed and frustrated that it’s an option for you anyway. One resource that can support you through feeling that way is the National Suicide Hotline. They have a number (1-800-273-8255) and a chat program (www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org). It might just be a resource that you can reach out to so that you can make sure that you are safe.

In terms of running, it sounds like you have a place to go and be safe. Because you are 16, the police will most likely be notified of you running and they might look for you. We aren’t legal experts, so we can’t say for sure what would happen, but most likely they would look. If they found you, they would probably return you back to your parents. It’s not easy to decide to run and we know you didn’t come to that decision lightly. Thinking through the potential outcomes can be helpful in planning and making sure that you are safe if you decide to leave. It can also be good to reach out to people who you might be able to depend on through this time. Building up that support around you can be a good way to make it through all this. Can you think of a counselor, a priest, a teacher, a neighbor, a family member or a friend or friend’s parents who you can talk through all this with? Reaching out to supports and creating supports can be a really important step through this.

We also have a bunch of resource that we can provide you with. One resource that might be good is Planned Parenthood. They have a bunch of things that can help you make sure that you are getting good health care (just one less thing that you have to worry about). Their national number is 1-800-230-7526. If you call us, we can help you make that call and look up other things that can help you out. You deserve to be supported and celebrated and guided through all of this. We’re here to do that with you. Please don’t hesitate to reach out again through our hotline at 1-800-RUNAwAY (786-2929). Our hotline is 24 hours a day and our chat service (www.1800runaway.org) from 4.30pm-11.30pm central time. We are confidential and anonymous (we won’t tell anyone about what we talk about and you don’t have to give us any information about yourself if you don’t want to).

We look forward to talking more through phone or chat.

Best of luck to you,

NRS
    Please remember you can reach us directly by calling our 24 hour hotline, 1-800-RUNAWAY (786-2929) or through our Live Chat.

National Runaway Safeline
    [email protected] (Crisis Email)
    1-800-RUNAWAY (24 Hour Hotline)

Tell us what you think about your experience!
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YourOpinionMattersToUs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
    Auto-Saved
    x
    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
    x
    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
    x
    x
    Working...
    X